PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the Networks on Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Based on production, atmosphere, and HD quality.

1. NBC-vibrant HD, top notch production, Al Michaels still one of the best in the game.

2. CBS- nice, classic

3. ESPN- things start dropping

4. Fox- dont like it. Too many robots, plus nfc teans just bore me, especially the nfc east which is overatted with mediocre qb play.

5. NFL Network- poor quality considering its the leagues channell.

I'd switch NBC and CBS and agree with your 3-5. Collinsworth irritates the hell out of me, and I really like Nantz and Simms.

1. The Internet

2. The Others :D

I'm not a fan NBCs "Olympics" feel, and Chris Collinsworth is worthless.

Not much bad to say about CBS

ESPN has good CGI, but their pregame show is pretty bad. Gruden is definitely an improvement in the box

Fox basically shows all NFC and their pre game is all about that. Tough to really get into watching that channel. Joe Buck is annoying to listen to.

NFL Network I enjoy their pregame show and analysis, and the in game has gotten better. Still room for improvement.

Here's my ranking:
CBS
ESPN
NBC
NFLN
FOX

Turning off the sound and turning up Gil and Gino.

FOX just sucks. In half the games, the scoreboard is cut off halfway on my screen. It's not a problem with my TV, because the other half of the games show up just fine. Regarding the video quality, I remember when I thought FOX looked a lot better than CBS. Maybe it did at some point, but CBS has definitely turned it around.

It's pretty obvious that CBS and NBC are the two best (and the only two that are actually good), but I can't decide which I prefer. I suppose CBS because I hate the song that plays before all of the Sunday night games.

I'd rank it this way:

CBS - 5/5
NBC - 4.5/5
ESPN - 3.5/5
FOX - 2.5/5
NFLN - 1.5/5

Last edited:
1. CBS-hands down the best video and sound. I like almost all of the announcers. i even like their pregame talk. I just wish deion was back on the panel but i like sharpe. But they have had some crappy kickoff angles lately.

2. NBC- the video is similar to CBS and i dont mind the announcers.

3. ESPN- They're ok. Gruden is entertaining as long as he isn't talking about farve(a-s-s kisser to the max). hate their pregame talk.

4. NFLNET- seems cheap for some reason. I like mayock and charles davis. sanders is entertaining.

5. Fox- the worst camera angles period. I dont care if u have a hd tv or not those wide screen angles make u miss alot of the action. If a long run is happening u wont see the defender on the far side cross the field until the last moment. HATE HATE buck and aikman, so boring. God make it stop.

1. CBS - just has the best football "feel" to it

2. Other networks

3. FOX - Too many non-football things, stupid robots, potentially adding stupid music... Couldn't feel any more like I'm not at the game, but if it could I'm sure FOX would find the way.

Last edited:
I would rank CBS as #1 simply because they have Gus Johnson. I wish he could call every Pats game.

NBC does it for me. I like the announcers, the color man and the CGI. Collingsworth really understands the game and can convey the nuances in a very timely way. Al Michael calls the game very well. They're mighty fast with replay and have all the angles covered when the call is close. Sunday night football is simply a superior production. CBS is okay. ESPN less so and of Fox, the less said the better.

CBS because of Nantz/Simms. Simms just has a great feel for what the Pats are doing. Probably because Belichick trusts him more than any announcer out there. And, Nantz just has an unbelievable memory. I know everyone gets on him about how much he loves Manning. He won me over in the tuck game. He immediately brought up the 1976 playoff game. Surprised me that he even knew about the game.

atdhe ftw fooolios

Cbs

nbc
espn

fox

nfln

1. CBS

Very Large Gap

2. NBC/FOX (tie)
3. ESPN

Very Large Gap

4. NFLN

Fox has a hard on for the Giants.. they've shown Giants game the last few weeks. NFC homers.

FOX just sucks. In half the games, the scoreboard is cut off halfway on my screen. It's not a problem with my TV, because the other half of the games show up just fine....

I get this same problem. it's very irritating to watch a game when you can't see half of the scoreboard, how many timeouts are left, etc. I tend to assume it's an issue regarding their support for wide screen and normal format TV's as I lack the wide screen. Not sure if this is the case though.

Turning off the sound and turning up Gil and Gino.

No way.....with HD, the delay in the signal from the sattelite downlink is as much as 3 seconds.Can't listen to Gil and Gino.....it's like Carnak the Magnificent predicting the plays before they occur on screen...it's a vexing problem for radio,but even if it's out of synch by milleseconds,
it is too much for my 60 yr old brain to process.:bricks:

I take it we're covering pre-game/game package here, as opposed to overall coverage.

NFLN definitely ranks at the bottom for the embarrassingly amateur game presentation, but I watch it a lot for general stuff. They're actually my default "pre-game" network too -- whether it's regular Sunday stuff or any other primetime game. The other pregame shows are either too bland (CBS), inane (FOX) or self-stroking (NBC, which I completely stopped watching after they did the rule-bender/straight-shooter thing on BB and Dungy before Colts-Pats game a few years ago. Ack.)

Oh, forgot ESPN. Must be because I can't bear to watch it unless there's a VERY good or Pats game actually on.

I can't stand Jaws and Gruden on ESPN so everything else is irrelevant. I feel I have to shower after they endlessly ball wall players all broadcast.

They're actually my default "pre-game" network too -- whether it's regular Sunday stuff or any other primetime game.

That's a good point - I go with NFLN for pregame a lot as well, even though I absolutely can't stand them for in game broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back