PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank New England's wide receivers, are you satisfied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares. I am sure BB will fix it. Take a Midol.

You can be sure he'll fix it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact the only WR on roster that was even drafted is Jeremy Ebert who was released last season. Slater isn't a WR. How many teams do not have a single WR that was drafted on their primary depth chart? As it stands today, this is the worst WR I can remember seeing in my years watching the NFL.

You can be sure he'll fix it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact the only WR on roster that was even drafted is Jeremy Ebert who was released last season. Slater isn't a WR. How many teams do not have a single WR that was drafted on their primary depth chart? As it stands today, this is the worst WR I can remember seeing in my years watching the NFL.

Please stop. We're six months away from playing a meaningful game.

Actually the Jets are probably worse:D

But we don't play a game for 6 months. We won't play that game with only 2 WRs on the roster.

Sorry, but Holmes is better, and Hill has more potential, than anyone on our roster.

Sorry, but Holmes is better, and Hill has more potential, than anyone on our roster.

Holmes is not better than Amendola, even if he could walk right now.
Potential? I thought you were talking about right now?

Please stop. We're six months away from playing a meaningful game.

Does that change the quality of the Pats WR core? With only 5 picks in the draft (of which 2 are in the 7th round), how does this position get improved? The Pats need to address their pass rush and offensive line. Where are they going to get the minimum of two WR's they need right now?

How many WR units have you analyzed as a group in all your years watcing the NFL as they stood 4 days into Free Agency when all but 1 of their players at the position were FAs?
You are being foolish.

Holmes is not better than Amendola, even if he could walk right now.
Potential? I thought you were talking about right now?

There is no comparison between Holmes and Amendola. Look at their production. As a person Holmes leaves a lot to be desired, but as a football player Amendola isn't in the same class. Since our entire WR core can only be measured on potential (as there is no real production), I assumed throwing Hill in there was fine.

How many WR units have you analyzed as a group in all your years watcing the NFL as they stood 4 days into Free Agency when all but 1 of their players at the position were FAs?
You are being foolish.

I am saying as it stands now. How would you honestly rate this core as it stands today? That is all we have to go by.

Does that change the quality of the Pats WR core? With only 5 picks in the draft (of which 2 are in the 7th round), how does this position get improved? The Pats need to address their pass rush and offensive line. Where are they going to get the minimum of two WR's they need right now?

In a very deep draft class (outside of QB), late picks and UDFA have a lot of potential.

It looks like the pass rush will be addressed in FA and I don't believe that the offensive line is a huge need.

They'll sign more WRs but what are these two WRs they need right now?

Are you including Hernandez and Gronk in here? Because they're much better catchers than a lot of the receivers in the league.

What the hell is the point in ranking in mid-March? Given your posts, you must think the Dolphins are destined for the Super Bowl.

Get back to me on September 1st. Until then, cut it out.

I am saying as it stands now. How would you honestly rate this core as it stands today? That is all we have to go by.

1. Do you think BB will notice?
2. Do you think BB will fix?
3. Do you think BB CAN fix it?

Did he in 06 or did he think we could make due with Reche Caldwell as our #1 WR?

Did he in 06 or did he think we could make due with Reche Caldwell as our #1 WR?

Did I ask about 06? Also that WR crew got us closer to the superbowl did then this last one.

They made a bid for Jennings!!! Feel better? Thats right, they are actually out there trying to get a great #1 WR. Can you believe it? Imagine that.

How about the questions I asked? Thats right. They were rhetorical.

You are a worry wart whiner.

As of now, we have a horrible set of wide receivers. That Belichick has won with less is irrelevant. This is a passing league, with receivers much more important than ten years ago.

AMENDOLA has replaced Welker

JONES has replaced Branch

TBD has replaced Lloyd

TBD has replaced Edelman
========================

We can't play with 2 wide receivers. We used to carry five WR's not counting STers like Slater. That number usually allows for a rookie who does not necessarily contribute much in their first year.
========================

So, we are short 2 wide receivers. Let's understand that Belichick knows this. Belichick thinks that he can find WR's as good as Lloyd and Edelman out there. Perhaps the players will come this week, perhaps next month, more likely every month through August. BUT, we will have plenty of receivers in camp, at least one is likely to be as good as Lloyd.
====

While I was looking for upgrades, I would re-sign Lloyd and/or Edelman. The cost will not be large.

1. Of course, but honestly I don't think BB is too concerned and might be content to roll with JAG WRs like 2006, thinking that "weapons" like Leon Washington, Vareen, and the perennially injured Gronk and Hernandez can make up the difference.

2. Who knows? His main focus has become cap economics and keeping the team at least "competitive" over the long haul--not Lombardis. And it's gotten old now: No rings since 2004 with the best QB and coach in the league at the helm. And we can look forward to no more rings for Brady in the future. But hey, his risk averse and cheap approach has gotten us....where exactly? Ultimately disappointment year after year since 2004.

3. **** no. Name all the stud FA deep/outside threats still out there. Maybe we can pull off a trade?? Sorry, don't have the draft capital. Through the draft? Lol. No WR comes into to the Patriot system and produces as a rookie. People who talk about fixing this situation through the draft are delusional.

The Pats screwed the pooch with Welker so royally that it's incomprehensible. At least with Welker they probably could have gotten by simply by acquiring a decent deep threat WR. Mark it down: Brady throwing to these JAGs is going to look like the keystone cops this year.

At this point they just need to go out and pick up Hayward-Bey to try him as the deeper threat. Speed, tall, better physical gifts then Jones and Sanders and Lloyd, imo.

2. Who knows? His main focus has become cap economics and keeping the team at least "competitive" over the long haul--not Lombardis. And it's gotten old now: No rings since 2004 with the best QB and coach in the league at the helm. And we can look forward to no more rings for Brady in the future. But hey, his risk averse and cheap approach has gotten us....where exactly? Ultimately disappointment year after year since 2004.
You're a tough grader, my friend. Since their last ring, they've been to the SB twice, once in contention to be the greatest team in all of NFL history. Both losses were close, as were the three wins. The way to win a SB ring is to keep the team in top contention and keep rolling the dice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. 3 out of 5 this century.

The problem with this team in its losses have been balanced: unable to score against tough teams when needed and unable to stop them at crucial moments, but luck often played a role (Manningham and Tyree).

I don't want to see Bill blow the budget on a WR at the expense of a critical defensive player. And I don't think he has all the answers. But I know he has a lot more answers than me.

P.S. How many times does it have to be said that cheap has nothing to do with individuals - only about spending to the cap.

theyre probably gonna bring back lloyd and edelman and then if they sign sanders we will be pretty good then either draft a WR or get DHB and we will be fine

Reportedly, New England had an interest in Greg Jennings but made no offer. Why have an interest in him, then?

I still would look into inviting both Ramses Barden and Domenik Hixon soon.

Reportedly, New England had an interest in Greg Jennings but made no offer. Why have an interest in him, then?

I still would look into inviting both Ramses Barden and Domenik Hixon soon.

I'm a little surprised Barden hasn't generated more interest from teams up to this point, in such a weak FA class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes