PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank New England's wide receivers, are you satisfied...

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In my opinion, I'll say New England receives an incomplete at the wide receiver position. Without Sanders, I feel unsure about all of these names due to unfamiliarity or you simply don't know what to expect. They're just names so far. I mean, a lot of these names could be practice squad fodder.

One free agent wide receiver who's intriguing is Ramses Barden. Regardless, I've to believe that New England's selecting a wide receiver in the draft. If not, and this is the gist of the depth, there will be a lot of pressure on the tight ends, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Jake Ballard, to be productive and remain healthy. However, nowhere among these names do you see a true deep threat outside wide receiver. Hence, you try to draft him. Markus Wheaton? Terrance Williams? Aaron Dobson?

Emmanuel Sanders (pending)
Danny Amendola
Brandon Lloyd (restructuring contract)

Matthew Slater (Special Teams)

Donald Jones
Jeremy Ebert

Kamar Aiken
Andre Holmes

Emmanuel Sanders (if Pats get him)
Danny Amendola
Brandon Lloyd (if he is back)
Donald Jones

Jeremy Ebert

Kamar Aiken
Andre Holmes

10char....

138328884_crop_exact.jpg

We giving up on Edelman?

Sanders' another slot wide receiver in reality. So I think it's unlikely New England re-signs Edelman unless they believe Sanders or Amendola can transition to the outside.

I'm happy in a sense that it will force Brady to find the open guy instead of having Welker be the first and only read, I can see this having an effect where our 3rd down conversion rate may drop but we become more explosive and less predictable.

...I can almost see Amendola taking a backseat and being forced to restructure next year. I see Lloyd and Sanders outside, Gronk and AH inside with an RB in the backfield.

This is assuming Lloyd accepts what we ask him too, which I think he will.

I don't want a vertical scheme offense, but I want one capable of bigger plays, even if it means fewer amounts of first downs. I just think its time to evolve our offense again, playing 3 or 4 guys in the middle of the field isn't ideal in the playoffs, its incredible for fantasy stats and getting TO the playoffs, but we need something more once we're there.

Too many ifs. If Lloyd's agent lets him restructure and if Pittsburgh
does not match Sanders' offer. If both thing occur, receiving corps looks promising provided receivers in sync with Brady.

I'm waiting in great anticipation for what else is to come!

I think if Sanders comes here we're not drafting high at WR.

Unless decent picks come in for Mallett and Spikes (can't see the team being able to re up him next year)

we also need to factor in the tight ends that includes Ballard.

i think we're pretty much done at WR if Lloyd and Sanders are on board.

Actually, I would add Shane Vereen to the list of wide receivers too since receiving is one of his strengths and makes him such a promising player when he's healthy.

If anything, the lost of Welker and his 90+ receptions can be offset by the depth of play-makers New England can deploy in the passing game assuming everyone can remain healthy for the duration of next season. Maybe, it isn't another free agent wide receiver New England should sign. Assuming they can sign Sanders, what if they sign Peyton Hillis? That is, he's a capable catcher out of the backfield and he's a goal line threat. Because Leon Washington helps you more on kickoffs than running the ball. Hence, he probably wasn't signed to add depth at running back so it's feasible that you can carry five running backs on the roster. Actually, why was Washington signed if you've Jeff Demps under contract for two more years?

In my opinion, I'll say New England receives an incomplete at the wide receiver position. Without Sanders, I feel unsure about all of these names due to unfamiliarity or you simply don't know what to expect. They're just names so far. I mean, a lot of these names could be practice squad fodder.

One free agent wide receiver who's intriguing is Ramses Barden. Regardless, I've to believe that New England's selecting a wide receiver in the draft. If not, and this is the gist of the depth, there will be a lot of pressure on the tight ends, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Jake Ballard, to be productive and remain healthy. However, nowhere among these names do you see a true deep threat outside wide receiver. Hence, you try to draft him. Markus Wheaton? Terrance Williams? Aaron Dobson?

Danny Amendola

Donald Jones
Jeremy Ebert

Kamar Aiken
Andre Holmes
If you know football Amendola, Jones, and Sanders are not just names

If we end up with

Amendola
Jones
Lloyd
Sanders
Edelman

Is that enough? I'm not sure, we don't know how well Jones will do and Amendola/Edelman are injured a lot. Or maybe I'm just greedy.

That group is solid enough, it's not great, but it's good. Add a good receiver high in the draft and then it is great.

Sanders' another slot wide receiver in reality. So I think it's unlikely New England re-signs Edelman unless they believe Sanders or Amendola can transition to the outside.

No he isnt

If we end up with

Amendola
Jones
Lloyd
Sanders
Edelman

Is that enough? I'm not sure, we don't know how well Jones will do and Amendola/Edelman are injured a lot. Or maybe I'm just greedy.

That group is solid enough, it's not great, but it's good. Add a good receiver high in the draft and then it is great.

I honestly don't think its enough, we need at least 1 more outside WR. I'm torn on Sanders because I like his talent, but he is still a slot WR (although a versatile one because of his speed) and he really doesn't address our issues on the outside. I still think we need bigger, physical WRs on the outside that can offer bigger targets and a larger catch radius for Brady. Now if we can trade back from the 1st in the draft and pick up DeAndre Hopkins and Da'Rick Rogers then I think we could have a hell of a WR group. Cut Lloyd and let Edelman and Jones battle it our for the 5th WR spot. Maybe even make an offer for RFA Donario Alexander.

Sanders
Amendola
Hopkins
Rogers
Edelman/Jones

That looks like a talented and versatile group to me.

I would like Edelman to stay, but even more than that want a true deep threat/strider.

Be it Alexander, DHB, or the draft.

An idiot with a keyboard is...well.. an idiot with a keyboard.

If you'd actually read what I'd written, you would know I was referring to the OTHER NAMES ON THE LIST. Hence, the way I'd grouped the names. So FU and the others shooting off their mouths. Jerks.

Ramses Barden would be a nice addition. 6'6, and has played well in spot duty.

Danny Amendola

Donald Jones
Jeremy Ebert

Kamar Aiken
Andre Holmes

It's March 16th the first regular season game is Sept 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes