PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank em: Your Offseason needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots2001

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
offseason moves ?? What this team needs !!!

First off i was disgusted at how bad the Pats played but it's over and i want to forget about it. The last 3 playoff games we are 0-3 and 2 of those at home..This team needs a pass rush maybe through the draft or trade some picks for a proven player..

I think we all know now that a great offense can be beat it has happened the last 3 playoff games what was lacking far behind is the defense.

I had a feeling after watching the Green Bay game that a back up QB ripped our D we could be in trouble in tight games..

Any Thoughts on what eles this team needs to start winning again in the post season ???

Re: offseason moves ?? What this team needs !!!

For those who wants Fitz, I wouldn't get too excited....he wants $18 mil.

Health....

Need vets on Defense who know how to stand up to a team coming into our house and pissing all over their logo, and franchise. Really need someone who would have taken their actions personally... Some real leaders on defense.

For those who wants Fitz, I wouldn't get too excited....he wants $18 mil.

source, link?

LOL, he will be dissapointed then.

We already had a SB team this year, not much else more needed.

We lost because we didn't execute.

they said it on tv right before the game....

Well I was at the game. :bricks:
-----------------------------------

Taylor Price needs to show up next year.

Trade all of the draft picks for a pass rusher. Just one please :( . I think Cunningham will be better though next year if he gets stronger. Hopefully he makes a huge jump from year 1 to year 2 like chung did.

I'll chime in here.

I think they have two key needs:

1) A playmaker receiver: I'll start by saying Moss needed to go because of his attitude and the fact he's not as effective as he used to be (he didn't catch a ball after week 13 I believe again until the final game of the season). Other than run down the field as fast as he can (and he's lost some speed, which is expected at his age), he's also not as quick as he needed to be in order to get separation with intermediate routes. So let's not go there.

They need a receiver almost like Branch was in '03. Someone who some speed to stretch the field, but also runs great routes and can get open on the perimeter and take some of the pressure off of Welker, the tight ends, etc. They're missing that at this point.

2) A defensive pass rusher: Vince Wilfork has become a force bringing pressure up the middle, and this was probably the best season from him in that role. It would be great to see them grab a defensive end that can beat the tackle one-on-one and be disruptive. Quite honestly that wasn't main the issue yesterday because watching the game right now we saw Sanchez have quite a few of his throws get disrupted due to pressure. Having looked at the numbers, teams with the most sacks doesn't necessarily mean much. However, they could use someone who can be even more disruptive - which obviously leads to turnovers. Obviously we didn't see any yesterday, and they could have used one.

But as much as many here want to put this on the defense, I hate to say it, but the Patriots didn't score their first touchdown until :15 left in the third quarter. That's kind of late to get in the endzone, especially when the defense had held New York to just 14 at that point. So I think if you add the first one, it will make the two rookie tight ends (along with what Woodhead brings) even more effective. I don't think they need much else defensively - this group developed pretty well this season. My only concern is the severity of Ninkovich's injury, because he turned into a pretty good player.

Last edited:

We already had a SB team this year, not much else more needed.

We lost because we didn't execute.

How can this be a SB caliber team with the 25th ranked defense ???

I am old school i still think you win with defense..

well ronnie brown is defintely going to the pats because BB has had a man crush on him since 2004

Probably wont be popular on here but a switch to 4-3 and add a speed rushing 4-3 DE to line up with Wilfork, Ty Warren and Cunningham and rush just the 4 of them, Wilfork is dominant so will make everyone else on the line get more pressure because offensive lines will try and stop Vince.

A big WR who knows how to position his body to make the catches against top tier CB's

LT, C - Light & Koppen may have been "solid" but solid doesn't cut it when the line is being shredded by 3 an 4 man rushes like you see fairly often against the Patriots, both need to be upgraded with stronger & heavier players.

Last edited:

They need a Corey Dillion type of runner. Look i love BJGE and was very happy he got his 1,000 yard season but he is never going to win us a game when the passing attack isn't working. He's fantastic in games when the passing game is taking defenders out of the box. We need a RB who can take over a game. Whether its a FA, a trade, or the draft i don't know and i don't know whose really available. But it what this team needs. I understand why people say a play making WR, but other than Moss Brady has never had a play making WR and they won 3 SBs. We can win with out one, as shown by this year. What they need is another option that the passing game, but if you get Brady uncomfortable the passing game can be stopped.

Do you think we get a 2007-like response from BB where he gets a couple big name acquisitions? I would love to see Nnamdi Asomugha here as unlikely as that sounds.

Do you think we get a 2007-like response from BB where he gets a couple big name acquisitions? I would love to see Nnamdi Asomugha here as unlikely as that sounds.

We're fine with Bodden/McC/Arrington/Butler imo...sure, if there's some value in upgrading Arrington/Butler with a CB falling in the draft, go for it, but Nnamdi will cost too much.

I'd rather spend the money on OL and DL...don't know who's available though...everybody is talking about the draft, but who is going to be a FA this year and could be a nice fit? any ideas?

Yes i do believe that will happen. The gut wrenching loss in 2006 was a catalyst that woke BB up to the lack of talent at a certain position (WR) and this gut wrenching loss will serve as a catalyst that will wake BB to a lack of talent at a few positions (WR, RB, OLB).

Nnamdi would be great, just because how great he is but there are much more important needs on this team that i don't want to see him come in at the expense of somebody else.

Listen guys, call me 'doom and gloom' but this team failed us and needs to be changed.

That is a combined 30-2 record that fails against 20-12 WC NY teams. The O line is not tough, they are solid in the regular season but take some tough defenders and that finesse style wears down. The run game is weak, these shifty small white players are cool to run and catch again under little pressure but are not able to impose their will when necessary. We don't need an MVP, that is two MVP seasons wasted. We need a tough physical team that can play defense and control clock and momentum without a huge lead, the D is exposed now that we couldn't gain an early lead (bad INT, bad drop) and couldn't force those key TOs.

I don't like this new Patriots team anymore, to make you excited all season and get beat down by a wild card team three times in 4 years is embarrassing. From now on our ceiling for me as a fan is missing the playoffs, if they make it I expect a first round exit and the last 3 playoffs in reality this has been their actual ceiling. Lets let them prove a few things before getting hopes up.

I think we've done a good job the last 2 drafts building towards getting back to where we were, I think we're one draft away. Getting Bodden will help us alot at CB across from McCourty, although Arrington filled in admirably Bodden is a big upgrade and should solidify that spot. If Warren can come back healthy and effective that's a huge help in the run D. Counting on those 2, I think the following will complete the rebuilding process, hopefully in the draft:

- Get a center to replace Koppen. The interior OL has been awful in the last 3 playoff games, give me another nasty Mankins type at C.

- Complete DE. One that can rush the passer and is not a liabity in the run game.

- Complete OLB who set the edge and get to the QB.

Those are the clear priorities IMO. After that I'd like to spend a few more picks on OL depth inside and out (try to get someone to groom behind Light). Mankins must be signed IMO. And a later pick or a cheap FA RB for depth in the backfield, allow Morris/Taylor/Faulk to move on.

Look, as painful as this week's been this team was still 14-2 and a majority of the key contributors are only going to get better. Not going to say we are 'set' but we are in good shape, very good shape if we have a 3rd straight solid draft. After the disappointing 10-6 in the 2009 season alot of people thought we weren't even close to competing. We didn't make a single major FA signing and still look at the improvement in the team. Our time will come.

The offseason plan needs to focus on upgrading the trenches. The front 7 lacks playmakers. On the OL, Mankins and Light are free agents, Neal may be done, and Koppen is nearing the end.

An outside WR is also a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye