PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be so detrimental to the team to sign him to a one or two year, incentive-based, low guarantee money contract? He's already expressed his desire to return to New England. If he's motivated and well behaved, his presence in training camp will help - any competition is good competition, so long as he's not a distraction.

I think a lot of people are forgiving and willing to forget about him flat-out sucking last season for multiple reasons:
(1) He sucked in OAK, became more motivated after NE trade, and tore up the league,
(2) Want to believe he'll succeed because fans believe a deep-threat will solve the team's offensive woes displayed in the last playoff lost,
(3) Fans love what Moss did for the team 2007-2009.

I'm sure many fans would like him back. That doesnt make it a good move.
We gave him away a year ago, and he went on to prove it was a good move.
Why bring him in to take away from the development of other players?
I don't get how people do not realize BB traded Moss because he didn't want him here any more.

Double covering Moss...now?.....LOL

I would be willing to bet that just about every starting CB on his own could safely handle Moss to low levels of productivity at this point in his career.

Moss is no longer a WR that you plan on to double cover......period.

The Patriots double covered Moss last year.

Actually they did not. They played a zone with a deep safety rolled to that side. Thats not the same as a double team.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts...

(1)He sucked in Oak, became more motivated after NE trade, and tore up the league in the regular season FOUR YEARS AGO when he was barely on the other side of 30...
(2)Speak for yourself. Many don't believe that and among those who do many don't believe Moss represents that anymore. We've had offensive woes in the playoffs when he was here...
(3)Fans love what Moss did in 2007. Not sure that really was in the teams best interest long term because it created a false sense that the offense could easily mitigate any shortcomings on an aging defense or eventually an inexperienced one once Bill finally got down to retooling it.

I don't want him here. I'm just trying to provide a rationale for the people who do want him here.

Meh....... I'd have no problem with him being brought into camp to compete for a roster spot. If he can win one, that's fine. if not, then there's no loss to New England.

Meh....... I'd have no problem with him being brought into camp to compete for a roster spot. If he can win one, that's fine. if not, then there's no loss to New England.

This. If he tears it up in camp..keep the guy..if he is just okay..then let him go

The 2010 Patriots scored more points from game 9 through game 16 than any team in NFL history.

There's no reason not to address the lack of a deep threat WR.

Many fans made similar arguments that the Pats offense was good enough to win the Super Bowl with Reche Caldwell as the #1 WR heading into 2007.

Belichick didn't hesitate to address the clear lack of a deep threat WR and Caldwell was all but out of the league the following year.

If the patriots can get moss back to being double coverage attraction they WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE.

Only if Moss can command double coverage. Moss had every incentive to play well in 2010 and could not. I see no reason to think he'll play better now.

Many fans made similar arguments that the Pats offense was good enough to win the Super Bowl with Reche Caldwell as the #1 WR heading into 2007.

Belichick didn't hesitate to address the clear lack of a deep threat WR and Caldwell was all but out of the league the following year.
The 'deep threat' WR is severely overrated. There are so few 40+ passes completed that its among the most overrated points many fans try to make.
If signing Moss is proof BB agrees that you have to get a deep threat, isn't getting rid of him or never going out to get one in any of his other 10 years stronger proof that he disagrees?

Only if Moss can command double coverage. Moss had every incentive to play well in 2010 and could not. I see no reason to think he'll play better now.
Agreed

This. If he tears it up in camp..keep the guy..if he is just okay..then let him go

Moss has always lit it up in camp here. Now that they can't hit as much he'd likely have a field day... Moss' issues or deficiencies tend to surface once the bell rings or down the stretch in the regular season...and in the post season or whenever adversity arises...

While I agree that getting a medium/deep receiver who can command attention is something that should be addressed, I've noticed you tossing out the Caldwell bit time and again recently. So, in the spirit of debunking that nonsnse......

The offense WAS good enough to win the Super Bowl in 2007, as 2006 demonstrated when it got them to the AFCCG and would have gotten the win if not for some horrible officiating (and a few other things). That doesn't mean that you don't seek improvement rather than putting the full load on Brady. At some point, luck and external forces come in to play After all, for all those receiving upgrades, the Patriots didn't win the SB in 2007, either.

I am not so sure that was the case as that game is long gone to remember but if they did it was simply to not let Moss make one play to hurt our chances to win...they needed him to be near shut out and shut down to end any 'revenge' factor and they probably could have done that with ONE CB....

It is no longer necessary to put 2 on Moss...for ANY team.

Last edited:
I am not so sure that was the case as that game is long gone to remember but if they did it was simply to not let Moss make one play to hurt our chances to win...they needed him to be near shut out and shut down to end any 'revenge' factor and they probably could have done that with ONE CB....

The Patriots were sending the safety over right after the snap. It was a double team. The announcing team was pointing it out during the broadcast.

Technically, the Pats didn't double Moss much, but they did have safety help over the top quite a bit which is how many Pats fans countered Revis' claims that he didn't need a double team to cover Moss. I don't think the Pats had any more safety over the top help against Moss than any other deep route runner, but I am not sure of that.

It is clear now that Moss does not need the double team anymore. In many games after he left the Pats (especially in Tennessee) he was largely given single coverage and still wasn't a consistent target. Moss looked very soft and could be knocked off routes easily and rarely fought for the ball like he used to.

Personally, I don't believe the agent's claims that he is in freakish shape (or at least, I don't buy it will make a difference on the field). WRs in their mid-30s do not have a dramatic drop in production in a contract year and then come back the following year and be productive unless there was an injury causing the drop in production. As far as anyone knows, that wasn't the case with Moss.

What are the chances Moss becomes a J-E-T ?

Everyone knows they won't have enough money to sign all their top players so Harris stays and either Edwards or Holmes has to go...they could use Randy if the price was right.....

I would love to see Moss on the Jets. He'll either be a complete bust for them or he'll prove everyone wrong and stick it to the Patriots with some touchdowns. should make for some entertaining games!

you already HAD Moss on the Jets...don't you remember the famous green mongo flip flop...."Moss!!!...uh, no...Coles!!!...no,uh..Moss!!!....Coles!!!....Moss!!!

oh wait...you're talking about RANDY Moss????...after running your pathetically stupid ,moronic, idiotic mouths nonstop that Randy was all done when he was with the Patriots?..typical schizo Jet fan nutbags...BTW, what name do you use at J.I.? Is that you, Vinny the turd?

wait,you CAN'T be a Pats fan..can you?

Last edited:
I would love to see Moss on the Jets. He'll either be a complete bust for them or he'll prove everyone wrong and stick it to the Patriots with some touchdowns. should make for some entertaining games!

Sort of like he did for the Vikings.

The 'deep threat' WR is severely overrated. There are so few 40+ passes completed that its among the most overrated points many fans try to make.

That's exactly what was probably said in 2006 about the lack of a need at WR - right before Belichick brought in BOTH Dante Stallworth and Moss

If signing Moss is proof BB agrees that you have to get a deep threat, isn't getting rid of him or never going out to get one in any of his other 10 years stronger proof that he disagrees?

I'd say Belichick HAS attempted to make a deep WR a priority - giving as many deadly tools to Brady as possible is smart coaching - it's just that he's struck out quite often, sometimes with draft picks and sometimes with free agents.

I'll be pulling for Tate but I don't expect Belichick will refrain from bringing in some competition if the chance arises in free agency or via trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back