PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
give him a 1 year deal with lots of incentives

I think a incentive laden contract will simply be a repeat of 2010. If he isnt getting the ball he will whine, etc. I suppose you could do it based on number or % of snaps he is on the field but a typical stat-driven contract wont work as we have all seen.

Randy wants to play for Belichick, he has said it many times, although i doubt the patriots get into a bidding war for him, if he has truly put in as much word as he says, i dont see why the patriots couldn't bring him back at decent money, its not like it would take him long to be acclimated to the system, and his opportunity for success would be higher in NE than anywhere else.

The only problem is what do you do with Brandon Tate, Deion Branch and Taylor Price.

Randy wants to play for Belichick, he has said it many times, although i doubt the patriots get into a bidding war for him, if he has truly put in as much word as he says, i dont see why the patriots couldn't bring him back at decent money, its not like it would take him long to be acclimated to the system, and his opportunity for success would be higher in NE than anywhere else.

The only problem is what do you do with Brandon Tate, Deion Branch and Taylor Price.

That's kind of a problem. If we bring on a very limited WR with a bad attitude and declining skills we might have to give up a young, promising receiver who is more versatile.

Price will be a stud, Brady and Branch have the same mind, and Tate is meh, but hopefully he'll improve with time.

If the patriots can get moss back to being double coverage attraction they WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE.

How did wanting to play for BB work out last year?
Seriously I don't understand how people just overlook the fact that Moss flat out sucked last year.

If the patriots can get moss back to being double coverage attraction they WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE.
The 2010 Patriots scored more points from game 9 through game 16 than any team in NFL history.

give him a 1 year deal with lots of incentives

I think a incentive laden contract will simply be a repeat of 2010. If he isnt getting the ball he will whine, etc. I suppose you could do it based on number or % of snaps he is on the field but a typical stat-driven contract wont work as we have all seen.

That was 2004 season.
2005 was the forgettable Duane Starks, Monte Beisel crew.

yeah..I know..a faux pas based on quick typing...I'll probably do it again multiple times...:stars2:

Intersting that you use one play, one where the corner was injured and dismiss the fact that his inablity to beat man coverage AFTER Revis left the game was the primary reason we lost.

You can't dismiss his horrendous play for 3/4 of a season because you can find an excuse. He played more than 1 game in Minn and WRs that barely belong in the NFL outproduced him with the same QB in Tenn.

Defenses would no longer be putting their elite corner on Moss.

The fact remains that Moss had Revis beat and Revis injured himself trying to catch up to Moss. Im no Moss fan, but thats one play where he went all out after Revis badmouthed him.

Moss was learning a new offense in Minny and the Titans were a mess.

It would be ugly if Butler or Arrington tried to cover Moss without help.

How did wanting to play for BB work out last year?
Seriously I don't understand how people just overlook the fact that Moss flat out sucked last year.

Would it be so detrimental to the team to sign him to a one or two year, incentive-based, low guarantee money contract? He's already expressed his desire to return to New England. If he's motivated and well behaved, his presence in training camp will help - any competition is good competition, so long as he's not a distraction.

I think a lot of people are forgiving and willing to forget about him flat-out sucking last season for multiple reasons:
(1) He sucked in OAK, became more motivated after NE trade, and tore up the league,
(2) Want to believe he'll succeed because fans believe a deep-threat will solve the team's offensive woes displayed in the last playoff lost,
(3) Fans love what Moss did for the team 2007-2009.

Last edited:
Unfortunately 2007 Moss simply does not exist any more.

You can't reverse the decline of skills.

I would suppose Moss could be a reasonably effect receiver even with diminished skills, if he accepted that, knew he had to give 100% every play, knew he had to go over the middle, sell out to make plays, etc, but thats just not part of Randy.

Its the same as wishing a hard working guy had more physical skills.

IT....COULD....WORK!!!

tumblr_ldtjcsINvp1qasq2no1_500.jpg

...Or NOT. :bricks:

Would it be so detrimental to the team to sign him to a one or two year, incentive-based, low guarantee money contract? He's already expressed his desire to return to New England. If he's motivated and well behaved, his presence in training camp will help - any competition is good competition, so long as he's not a distraction.

I think a lot of people are forgiving and willing to forget about him flat-out sucking last season for multiple reasons:
(1) He sucked in OAK, became more motivated after NE trade, and tore up the league,
(2) Want to believe he'll succeed because fans believe a deep-threat will solve the team's offensive woes displayed in the last playoff lost,
(3) Fans love what Moss did for the team 2007-2009.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts...

(1)He sucked in Oak, became more motivated after NE trade, and tore up the league in the regular season FOUR YEARS AGO when he was barely on the other side of 30...
(2)Speak for yourself. Many don't believe that and among those who do many don't believe Moss represents that anymore. We've had offensive woes in the playoffs when he was here...
(3)Fans love what Moss did in 2007. Not sure that really was in the teams best interest long term because it created a false sense that the offense could easily mitigate any shortcomings on an aging defense or eventually an inexperienced one once Bill finally got down to retooling it.

Last edited:
What are the chances Moss becomes a J-E-T ?

Everyone knows they won't have enough money to sign all their top players so Harris stays and either Edwards or Holmes has to go...they could use Randy if the price was right.....

What are the chances Moss becomes a J-E-T ?

Everyone knows they won't have enough money to sign all their top players so Harris stays and either Edwards or Holmes has to go...they could use Randy if the price was right.....

Your lips to Tanny's ear...:yeeha:

Randy will flourish matched up with a QB with sub 55% career completion rate and more career INTS than TD's...:rocker:

J-E-T-S...Jets...Jets...Jets...:D

Double covering Moss...now?.....LOL

I would be willing to bet that just about every starting CB on his own could safely handle Moss to low levels of productivity at this point in his career.

Moss is no longer a WR that you plan on to double cover......period.

The team does not need another WR. I would like to see them spend money on defense.

I think Mike Reiss said it best in his Quick Hits column today:

2. Help me out. Randy Moss’ agent says this week that Moss is in “freakish shape” and this is a big story … why? Seems to me it would be a bigger story if the agent, whose job is to generate buzz for his client, said Moss wasn’t in good shape.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Seriously, his agent says he is in freakish shape and we are supposed to believe it? I mean we heard glowing reports about how incredible he was in training camp last year and he was nothing more than a decoy last year. Here is what the Herald said about his training camp last year:

Second, he makes the amazing catches and plays look so easy, so effortless. It really doesn’t seem like he’s doing all that much, when in fact he’s doing more than most athletes can dream of doing. Still, at age 33. It’s possible that because we’ve seen him now, up close and personal in three training camps, that the shock and awe of those wondrous plays has become so routine. Perhaps the freakish nature of his athleticism has become so humdrum, that it’s merely being repetitive to point out how good he remains. Well, it’s time to start pointing. Whether he’s motivated by a contract year, or fueled by one last shot at a Super Bowl ring with Tom Brady, it really doesn’t matter. It’s important to note he’s at least starting off on the right foot, and it’s in more ways than just displaying his outrageous talents on the field.

Randy Moss turning heads during Patriots training camp | Ben Maller

So the 2011 version of Randy Moss looks like the 2010 version of Randy Moss. He is an absolute stud in shorts. Probably not so much game day.

I agree with the 2010 Herald assessment. Randy IS a stud in shorts. I saw the same in training camp that year. He looked fantastic. And that's precisely the problem with the 2nd decade 21st century Moss. He's not into physical confrontation in the 1st 5 yds, nor is he into going up in the air fighting a physical DB for the deep ball. RIP 2007 Moss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey