PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this article before you posted and I can say I'm fairly impressed. If this is true, he would solve all of NE's problems at WR. I hope they do consider him. The improvement this team will have made in one off-season would be spectacular.

Give it up already. Randy's issues here or elsewhere had nothing to do with being in freakish shape in the off season.

I would not want to see him on the Ravens

I just read this article before you posted and I can say I'm fairly impressed. If this is true, he would solve all of NE's problems at WR. I hope they do consider him. The improvement this team will have made in one off-season would be spectacular.

I trust the Patriots to do their due diligence.

If they feel that Moss has learned his lesson and could still contribute to the team, I'd be OK with bringing him back.

But if they feel it's better to stay away from Moss, I'm OK with that, too.

If they feel that Moss has learned his lesson and could still contribute to the team, I'd be OK with bringing him back.

But if they feel it's better to stay away from Moss, I'm OK with that, too.

I agree with that. My Motto is IBBIT.

IBBIT = In Bill Belichick I Trust.

I wish Moss the best, as long as he doesn't play for an obvious rival. It would take a serious personality shift for him to be accepted back here, but stranger things have happened.

Like many have said, Moss' issues aren't physical, but mental. I do worry about him ending up with say the Chargers and proving to be a star again. Then again, Moss hasn't been a star without Brady since about 2003. Even in 2008, when Brady went down, Moss saw a serious dip in production, going from 2nd in receiving yardage all the way down to 21st. He bounced back up to 6th in 2009 with Brady back.

Yeah, the last time I heard that Moss was in freakishly good shape and playing with a chip on his shoulder was last preseason. How did that work out? All we heard during the preseason was that Moss was catching everything and playing like he was playing for a contract and was going to have a monster year. He was horrible last year.

Sorry, but if Moss couldn't cut it in a contract year, he is likely done. I seriously doubt he will be a comeback player candidate.

With the free agency market fairly deep at WR (Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith Giants, Malcom Floyd, Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress, Santana Moss, Mike Sims-Walker, James Jones, Steve Breaston, TJ Houshmandzadeh), I don't see the Pats going back to Moss when they can get a better option.

It seems to me that at certain positions in the NFL such as WR and RB, a player reaches a certain age and it's as if he hit a wall; his performance drops dramatically rather than gradually. If the Patriots want to sign him to a deal with relatively low guaranteed money, fine; give him a look and see if he can earn a spot on the roster.

I'm just not sold on his agent's PR campaign that he's suddenly going to be faster and in better shape when he's a year older. And if that is the case, what does that say about his training program last season, in his contract year no less?

these are the conditions I think BB might set:

1) low cost or incentive-laden 1 or 2 year deal
2) show he is humbled- apologize to his teammates for causing a distraction last year
3) prove he truly is in top shape
4) promise not to pout if his role is diminished

If all that is true, I don't have a problem with it, if BB doesn't.

Hell, if he doesn't, none of us should take issue with it.

Do NOT want.

The guy’s a headcase with a rapidly declining skill-set that limited our offense. Give me a PHYSICAL WR that can run the routes, ALL OF THEM, that won’t be neutralized by press coverage. Everyone is clamoring for WR help, and while I would LOVE someone like Fitzgerald, Jackson, or Boldin, we should keep in mind that Price, Hernandez, and Gronk we all rookies last year that should likely be a lot more skilled than last year.

Also, although Vereen is officially a RB he will also be lining up as WR from time to time, so that's even more WR help we'll be getting.

Yeah, the last time I heard that Moss was in freakishly good shape and playing with a chip on his shoulder was last preseason. How did that work out? All we heard during the preseason was that Moss was catching everything and playing like he was playing for a contract and was going to have a monster year. He was horrible last year.

Sorry, but if Moss couldn't cut it in a contract year, he is likely done. I seriously doubt he will be a comeback player candidate.

With the free agency market fairly deep at WR (Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith Giants, Malcom Floyd, Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress, Santana Moss, Mike Sims-Walker, James Jones, Steve Breaston, TJ Houshmandzadeh), I don't see the Pats going back to Moss when they can get a better option.

I don't remember hearing too much about that last pre-season. But it was awhile ago. I don't think Moss' on field play was bad, but he struggled with the off-the-field issues. If those are resolved, and on a one year incentive laden contract, I'm down.

You also forgot some guys who may be available via trade. Ocho, S. Smith(CAR). There are some good options.

I don't remember hearing too much about that last pre-season. But it was awhile ago. I don't think Moss' on field play was bad, but he struggled with the off-the-field issues. If those are resolved, and on a one year incentive laden contract, I'm down.

You also forgot some guys who may be available via trade. Ocho, S. Smith(CAR). There are some good options.

I only listed free agents. Ochocinco and Steve Smith from Carolina would be traded or at least would have to be cut before the Pats could acquire them. Word is Vincent Jackson could be had for a third rounder too.

Personally, I don't want him back unless it is proven that Brady won't continue to lock in on him. The Pats lost the first Jets game because of it.

Randy Moss in “freakish shape” in bid to keep career going | ProFootballTalk

Randy Moss + chip on shoulder = good thing.

I reiterate my prediction: CBPY 2011: Randy Moss, WR, NEP.

The Patriots have moved on from Randy Moss, Patriot fans should learn to do the same. He gives full effort only when it suits him, not the team. His being in "freakish shape" won't help him block, run his routes when he isn't the first option or stop him from being a sideshow when he is unhappy about his contract or doesn't think enough balls are being thrown to him.

We did bring back Branch after his "bad attitude" of wanting more money and finally trading him. I guess anything is possible.

Randy's off season issues last year evolved out of his feeling underappreciated or disrespected due to the lack of a contract extension commensurate with his self perception...and with the exception of 2007 that conflict has always adversely effected his on field performance. In 2010 he apparently had a chip on his shoulder the size of W.Va yet it failed to motivate him to perform in a manner that would have made it impossible for Bill to even consider trading yet alone not extending him. He wasn't traded over cap cost at $6M in salary. He was traded for a better fit for this offense on the field and team off it. He's a lot like Ocho in that respect. Great guy to know and hang with, pain in the ass to deal with professionally for reasons apparently beyond anyone's control including their own. Those guys represent a whole other level of risk/reward calculation because they have or had at one time a level of talent that tended to tip the scales. As those talents began to wane however the scales tipped back dramatically in the other direction. Neither is the classic clubhouse cancer, but they can create a debilitating drain on an organization just the same.

What's the old saying, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice... I don't think Bill is inclined to test it. He admires their talent, he enjoys aspects of their personality, but he's looking to build a championship team and neither of them fit the system on multiple levels. He and his staff and his players will have enough to deal with once the lockout mercifully ends without adding managing that level of ego to the mix in an already challenging atmosphere. I really doubt we add a FA WR to the mix this season, and if we do I can't imagine it would be Moss or Ocho or even Smith. It would have to be someone with more potential long term upside because their impact this season might very well be quite limited for a number of reasons.

Patriots also moved on from Branch. And then he came back.

The Patriots never intended to move on from Branch. But a unique situation arose that left them no choice. They moved on from Randy because they'd simply had enough.

It would have to be someone with more potential long term upside because their impact this season might very well be quite limited for a number of reasons.

OTOH, to play Devil's advocate for a moment, isn't that a reason to consider bringing Moss back?

The Patriots never intended to move on from Branch. But a unique situation arose that left them no choice. They moved on from Randy because they'd simply had enough.

Yeah, moving on from Branch clearly wasn't a talent issue. It was a money issue. If Moss still could play like he did in 2007, the Pats would take him back. Of course, the reason they traded him was because he was a shell of the player of 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back