Welcome to PatsFans.com

Randy Moss... WTF?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Snarf, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snarf

Snarf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What the hell was that?

Dropped passes, penalties, fumbles, quitting on plays?

Did Carolina pay him off or something? That's the most pathetic performance from a Patriot all year...
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yep, that was horrible.
  3. Danny

Danny Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That was awful.
  4. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I'm a huge Moss supporter, but something was not right with him today. He needs to get his head straight and get back to dominating.
  5. wilfork is beastin'

wilfork is beastin' Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No game ball for Moss today :p

hope he comes out strong against the Jags next week
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

The worst was when he clearly alligator armed that pass. Jesus Christ. Good thing we, apparently, don't need him to beat bad teams without their starting quarterback.
  7. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

bad day for Moss for sure, but most pathetic performance by a Patriot all season I think is going overboard. It all starts with expectations though, I wonder how bad Moss is hurting right now. It seemed Brady was trying to give him words of encouragement on the sideline a couple of times today.
  8. pwes

pwes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Its the bills and so do I. absolutely terrible this game
  9. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thanks for that whole fantasy point, Randy.
    I'm still in your corner though, bro.
    Everyone has bad days.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

I'm guessing a lot more than any of us realize. He may not be seeking treatment much, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear he has surgery right after the season or something.
  11. muzz

muzz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

DREADFUL, DISINTERESTED
    Looking like the end is near for the Mossman, the lack of effort out there today was VERY EZ to see, and it's simply unacceptable.

Bill put that C on him with HOPES that it would inspire him to stay focused and lead by example, but that isn't happening, not only that but it looks like it may end up going the OTHER way and hurting the team.......
  12. Xplicit

Xplicit Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Love how I got ridiculed a couple weeks ago for saying Moss quits on plays. "BB would never allow it" haha
  13. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I agree. I guess everyone things his back got magically better?

The haters that automatically throw him under the bus for having a bad day today are sickening.
  14. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Also helps when they play 10 yards off of Welker. The past two losses Welker has been double teamed and taken out of the game, and we couldn't move the ball for anything.
  15. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

it's terrible, and the boos by the fans. It's incredible how much influence the media has in how the public views a player.
  16. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Belichick motivated him.
  17. lorijean

lorijean Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I love Randy but he was horrible today. I do not believe he is 'tuning' out. Is he injured? Maybe. But his head is clearly elsewhere. I have heard that he had to fly home Tuesday for a family matter and that was one of the reasons he was late for practice. I will cut Randy some slack and hope his close friends on the team(Kevin and Vince) help him through his funk.
  18. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I've always questioned Moss' aggressiveness and toughness, but it would be naive to think he's merely disinterested right now. He's probably playing hurt, which should be acknowledged: it's the responsibility of the players down the depth chart to bump him from the field and into the training room.
  19. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Mossgate is here
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I remember a picture of him when he was with the raiders, he was sitting on the end of the bench with the same disinterested look on his face.
  21. jagkho

jagkho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As the saying goes, he is what he is... An extremely talented player that when things are going well is a devastating offensive weapon, but also a player that can lose focus and drive when the situation is challenging (see 2 years in Oakland where he was pretty much in his prime but did squat).

I think its clear that he's hit a little bump in the road here, and the key question is can he snap out of it here, or will it spiral downward like in Oakland. I'm betting on the former.
  22. Doonan24

Doonan24 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Florio will have a field day with this.
  23. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

He's not on the injury report. The only practice he missed this week was due to lack of effort. Brady is fond of saying everyone is hurting this time of the season. He would know. I bet Welker could tell you a little something about hurting, too.

Zolak is predicting Randy will take the post game podium and accept responsibility for his lousy game and credit his teamtes for winning in spite of him. But he's basically hoping he's right... Randy hasn't said a wrong thing all season. Trouble is he hasn't played well down the stretch again. For whatever reason.

Bill just got asked directly about Moss' performance and the fear of disengaging, and he said there were too many drops and turnovers and that's focus and this is the time every season you need everyone to make plays. I think he's had it and he finally realizes there is a pattern emerging here and it's on that player to figure it out or not. Talked about Welker being a football player and playing hurt and how much he reminds him of another slot receiver we used to have...

There are messages being sent. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. Talk is cheap. Earn your keep. Find a way. Brady and Welker and Faulk and even Glass did...The OL did...A TE did. A defense without it supposedly most talented players on the field because one is in Oakland and another's in KC and some retired and one watched the game with his feet up and another got knocked out of the game twice...

Brady talking about Wes now says heart is what he's got and it's what you need in these situations. Brady says Randy is frustrated with his situation and what he was talking to him about today was fighting through it...Don't go from bad to worse because you're down in the dumps. :ugh:

Tom says we're a grind it out team again, that's apparently what we need to be now so you just do it.
  24. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

There's also another saying "Don't judge a book by its cover". You can pretend to know Moss as a person, or his feelings or how hard he is trying etc... But the fact of the matter is the media has GIVEN you your opinion on Moss, you haven't created your own. They have fed you what they wanted you to eat, and you ate it. Over the entire course of his career. There was definitely something up with Moss today, whether it be family matters, injury related, being upset with himself and letting it get to his head, etc.... Twice on the sideline Brady was giving Moss friendly words and a pat.
  25. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

I agree that it's a lousy thing for some to give up on him, but there's also a major pattern forming here with Tom's INT's. The only INT's I can think of off the top of my head not intended for Moss were the deep EZ pass to Tate, and last week's game ender. There may have been another somewhere that I am not remembering, I'd be interested to hear other posters' takes on it. Regardless, all but 2 or maybe 3 of Brady's INT's have been attempts to Moss, some he surely could've done a better job defending. Moss, bad luck or not, is leading the other teams to many of our turnovers. I'll admit that I am questioning our attack at times, as sometimes I long for more dink and dunk short passes down the field. When we used a short passing game +/- the running game in yrs past, we were successful still. Hell, look at 06 for a great example of not having a deep passing attack, yet still seeing good production.

When we had our longest drive of the season today of 96 yds, Moss got zero looks--coincidence or not??? I realize that he takes on and moves coverage accordingly, many times drawing doubles. That obviously helps our offense, and would help it a lot more if we had a viable #3, but since we don't, I don't know if his moving coverage is being maximized to potential this year.

When teams are doubling Welker, Moss simply does not get open enough as we've seen in some of our losses. I really think doubling Welker is how you go about defeating New England, but that's just my opinion, etc. I appreciate everything Moss does/has done for the Pats, but it does seem like there are some other viable options around the league that could do just as well, if not better. Now how we'd obtain those guys is a whole other matter, so I'd guess Moss gets coupled with another viable option or 2 in his last yr coming up in 2010. I don't think our offensive drop off will be as bad as some are envisioning with Moss leaving after next yr, but I am not throwing him under the bus either, just saying teams have adjusted to dealing with him.
  26. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think he is hurting
    I think BB knows that
    I think the OC is so stupid that he he keeps using him as a 1st option.
    IMHO
  27. jagkho

jagkho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're right, of course I dont know Moss as a person and I've never met him. But I saw him play for 2 years in Oakland (I live in the Bay Area) and I've heard many interviews, etc. with him, and then of course I've seen him play for the Pats the past 3 years --- so that's what my comments are based on. Is that judgmental? Well yeah, sort of, but as fans thats what we do.

And I definately agree with you that something was upsetting him today and it got to his head.
  28. captain insano

captain insano Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

its one thing to drop a pass or fumble the ball but he flat out quit and sulked like a little boy thru that game today. absolutely pathetic performance. he should write bob kraft a check and pay him back for today.
  29. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm always amazed when I come on the board after a win to find the things that are posted here.
  30. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well aside from Moss and Welker we really dont' have any more reliable receivers, so these two are targeted on the vast majority of throws. Welker isn't of the talent that Moss is in the sense of being able to catch funky throws while covered etc... So it goes to follow that most risky throws would go Moss' way. Also Brady has seemed to try to force it in to Moss at times, but when you really need a play and all of your receivers are covered, who would YOU try to force it to?

And last week when we had a long TD it was to Moss, one isolated incident doesn't say anything one way or the other. Also without viewing the tape how can we determine how much coverage Moss was taking so as to make it easier for others to get open? The Panthers didn't seem like they gameplanned to stop Welker that much, which surprised me. I think the big thing was getting that 3rd threat out there in Ben Watson. I do agree with you that Moss taking coverages hasn't been maximized this year. We don't really have anyone aside from Welker. Watson could be that guy but he's frequently been kept in to block.

I don't think teams have single covered Moss while doubling Welker. Although another key thing is the pressure that teams have been able to generate while doubling Welker. Moss generally runs routes that take longer to develop, so the pressure along with doubling Welker really gives this team fits. That 3rd receiver is something we are really missing IMO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.