PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish him the best of luck in his efforts to prolong his career.

Randy Moss
- may be too old to beat press coverage at this point
- doesn't run the full route tree
- probably can't block in the running game effectively
- gronk, welker, hernandez, ridley/bjge on the field leaves 1 spot for a skill position player. randy's limited route tree and low-percentage pass targets seems like a poor choice for that spot at this point. decoys aren't going to win games against good teams.

Do you think we can sign him and keep Chad?

If he signs for the vet minimum, ala Torry Hold a couple of years ago, then sure. It would at least be possible to keep them both for training camp and see if either one of them is worth a roster spot.

Last edited:
1 year 2m deal for Moss
2 year 3.5 a year for Wayne
tag on Welker
Branch and Ocho gone

certainly would make me happy :rocker:

But his last season, he wasn't that good a player WITH THE PATRIOTS, one excellent catch against a gimped Revis notwithstanding. Unless he had a lingering issue he's since gotten over -- doubtful, since there hasn't been a single peep of a rumor about that I can recall -- I doubt he'd be very good 2 years later.

Look, I'll be honest, I'm a HUGE Randy Moss fan (always have been, even before he was on the Pats). While I may be biased, here's how I see it....

Randy Moss still has some of the greatest hands in the game. The problem that Moss was running into was that he was having a much harder time creating separation from defenders. Therefore, even with his great hands, defenders were able to, well, play defense on him. If you bring Moss back as your main weapon, then I agree, not worth it. Defenders will be able to cover him.

IF you bring him in as your 4th option, well, now we are talking. The Patriots have many other weapons that deserve defensive attention (Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez). Therefore, it would be illogical for teams to double Moss, and that's when he can do his damage.

I think Moss has been humbled by his last year in the league. Personally, I think Moss really just wanted an extended contract. When he said 'sign me or trade me', I think he really thought the Pats would sign him. The Pats called his bluff, and I think he would come back as a humbled player.

Been following him on Twitter. He still has lots of lockerroom connections with Pats. Heck, only reason I knew his Twitter handle was Vince Wilfork telling people to follow him.

I hope we bring him back. I hope he comes if we try.

This story has "moss returning to the patriots" written all over.

1 year 2m deal for Moss
tag on Welker
Branch and Ocho gone

So you want to rely on a 34-year-old Wayne and a 35-year-old Moss?

Terrible.

Hey Reggie how would you like to come and play for New England for 3 and 1/2 mill for 2 seasons? Sure why not. I mean I'm worth 6-8 million on the open market but for you guys I'll take one for the team.

five bucks says the Jets take him.

So you want to rely on a 34-year-old Wayne and a 35-year-old Moss?

Terrible.

We currently rely on Ocho and Branch. The main target still is Gronk, Wes, Hernandez.
If we are gonna change up our wide receiver core I'm for Mike Wallace...but the rest, Colston would be a good fit but likely to much money and Bowe, Vjax less talent and still expensive guys.
Lloyd and keep Branch is another and maybe the most likely scenario. But I'll take Moss and Wayne over that.

Hey Reggie how would you like to come and play for New England for 3 and 1/2 mill for 2 seasons? Sure why not. I mean I'm worth 6-8 million on the open market but for you guys I'll take one for the team.

I meant 3.5+3.5 = 7m for 2 years

Simple test for whether it makes sense (to you) to bring him back:

Do you think he can punish single coverage or not?

What we need is another receiver who can not be reliably single-covered, preferably one who operates somewhere other than the middle of the field.

If you don't think he'll get open, whatever "open" means in his case, then he's not a useful player to have on the field. I'll grant you that Moss' height, hands, and experience could make him open when another guy would be covered -- but he DOES have to get open by his standards.

Look, I'll be honest, I'm a HUGE Randy Moss fan (always have been, even before he was on the Pats). While I may be biased, here's how I see it....

Randy Moss still has some of the greatest hands in the game. The problem that Moss was running into was that he was having a much harder time creating separation from defenders. Therefore, even with his great hands, defenders were able to, well, play defense on him. If you bring Moss back as your main weapon, then I agree, not worth it. Defenders will be able to cover him.

IF you bring him in as your 4th option, well, now we are talking. The Patriots have many other weapons that deserve defensive attention (Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez). Therefore, it would be illogical for teams to double Moss, and that's when he can do his damage.

I think Moss has been humbled by his last year in the league. Personally, I think Moss really just wanted an extended contract. When he said 'sign me or trade me', I think he really thought the Pats would sign him. The Pats called his bluff, and I think he would come back as a humbled player.

Last edited:
We currently rely on Ocho and Branch. The main target still is Gronk, Wes, Hernandez.
If we are gonna change up our wide receiver core I'm for Mike Wallace...but the rest, Colston would be a good fit but likely to much money and Bowe, Vjax less talent and still expensive guys.
Lloyd and keep Branch is another and maybe the most likely scenario. But I'll take Moss and Wayne over that.

I wouldn't say we rely on Ocho to do anything other than get dressed on gameday, and Branch is pretty much done.

I'm not sure how getting even older at the WR position is a smart play.

I mean, its almost like this story is scripted.

You all know he is coming back, just accept it.

You can't even compare Wayne with Moss. Wayne is a 34 year old who just had a 900 yard year with Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins and Dav Orlosky as the QBs. He's never had GREAT speed and got by with his route running

Moss is a 35 year old he didn't play last year and the year before he had what, 400 yards?? He looked done. Wayne didn't look done last year, he still played good.

I only would want him back if he gets on his knees, crys to BB, says he wants back, takes vet minimum, and agrees to have a Plaxico Burress role. (limited targets but very good redzone threat)

I doubt he'd do it.

maybe ..he has learned his lesson.... that the grass isn't always greener on the other side ....

give him a shot ...replace ocho stinko with moss....
How do you learn a lesson that you aren't good enough any more, and how does that help if you do?

Simple test for whether it makes sense (to you) to bring him back:

Do you think he can punish single coverage or not?

What we need is another receiver who can not be reliably single-covered, preferably one who operates somewhere other than the middle of the field.

If you don't think he'll get open, whatever "open" means in his case, then he's not a useful player to have on the field. I'll grant you that Moss' height, hands, and experience could make him open when another guy would be covered -- but he DOES have to get open by his standards.
That question was asked and answered by Bill Belichick 16 months ago.

When I heard the news, I couldn't wait to log in here and see the meltdown. Moss is such a polarizing figure on these forums and the news of Moss unretiring won't do much to fan the flames of speculation. This offseason should be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes