PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss traded to Patriots for #110 overall pick [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty much convinced Moss came here to win, and will put in the effort that is expected of him (and then some). I'm just worried about what will happen to him the first time he gets ripped on EEI or booed at Gillette. He has been dealing with the media in Oakland and Minnesota his career, neither of which prepare him for what he is going to face here.

Last edited:
I'm going to put this out there as a Patriot fan.

Randy Moss has earned his reputation and I'm not going to defend his reputation till he proves he can change his ways. Just because the team decides to give up a fourth round pick for the guy and the guy says all the right things, doesn't mean anything to me. Moss is anything but stupid, as of late, and knows what he needs to say. Crap, even Pacman knows what to say (although the delivery needs some work).

I remember when the Raiders pick up Moss and Sapp. I heard Raider fan make every excuse in the world for these guys before they did anything in a Raider jersey. The excuses are idiotic and founded in their fanaticism and hope.

Thank you Moss for reworking your contract and for saying the right things, but make good on your words and change the reputation.

MEDIA rips the Pats?

I don't know what this is about and I think writers (McMullen) is creating a story. Okay, the Pats have always preached character and it is against the nature of the team to do what other teams have done: take a problem player thinking they can change him.

First of all, the Pats took Gabriel and dropped him when his character became a problem. Moss has a smaller contract with limited cap impact. Why can't the Pats drop him if he becomes a problem? Lets leave this topic till next season when there is talk about contract extension.

Second, it worked with Brian Cox and it worked with Dillon. Why can't it work with Moss? Again, I'll take the criticism because there is also a chance it doesn't work. In all fairness, give the Pats credit for taking on players with questionable character before and having a veteran locker room that polices itself.

My criticism is...

He has a one year contract. Lets not make a big deal about a rented player at the wide receiver position. Receivers often take time to pick up the system and the Pats are said to have a complicated offense. Guess the offense will be more friendly, but might be limited as well.

Brady to Moss is an experiment. If it works out, both can help each other become the elite the game has ever seen. As it stands and with the contract, it is only an experiment that we all hope to see work out.

Moss was rumored to have ran a 4.29 40. He might be older, but if that is true, the tires are very fresh for a 30 yr old receiver.

Raider fan needs to get off Moss' back. He wasn't given a QB, the running game was marginal and the offensive line was pathetic. While winning breeds winning, losing breeds losing. Sorry to have to say this, but when your the worst team in football (when your expected to be decent) and your one of the best players, it is a little demoralizing.

Taking plays off. Yes, receivers take plays off. Go back to the fact that their was no talent around him. The coaching staff was in constant flux. On top of that, when you run 30 yards down field at full speed and never see the ball (instead see your QB on his butt), you start to go through the motions without going all out.

Moss will not do for the Patriots what Owens did for the Eagles. Owens was a large piece of the Super Bowl puzzle and Moss is one of many pieces. The Pats don't go as far as Moss goes, it can move on without him. The offense may not be all about him, but it will use him to make this team better.

Finally the Pats got a legit WR. Before it was Donald Hayes, David Terrell and Cadwell. Reminds me of having to deal with Antowian Smith as our RB and then getting a legit RB in Dillon.

Deion Branch... how do you like them apples? Your a #2 wide out that wanted #1 money from a team that knew that wasn't a good deal. Miss ya, wish you could be part of it, but your greed got you a ticket to the Seattle. Good luck with that.

Seattle, thanks for the #1. Did you see the Pats got Moss for a 4th rounder and he took a pay cut.

I hope Moss can keep his mouth shut, because the media can be brutal.

What we need him to do is play to his abilities, and when he's struggling grind it out. If he sticks to that, no one here will give him a hard time. And he can't screw it up for the team even if he tries.

If he becomes a decent player we win. If not he's gone... but he could also be great...

Re: NFL.com: Raiders agree to send WR Moss to Patriots

You missed Jabar Gaffney.
I don't see the ridiculous number of WR's as a problem. Take a look at it from this angle:

1. MOSS - will start
2. STALLWORTH - will start
3. WELKER - starting as your slot receiver

Here's where it gets interesting:
4. CALDWELL
5. JAFFNEY - more likely to be traded (see below)

Based on their salary numbers, they will each have trade value come pre-season / camp when other teams have injuries and need to fill in a 2nd - 4th receiver role. This is also when we trade one of these chips for a serviceable veteran LB or DB (who has seen NFL speed - unlike a rookie), to fill in and contribute.

Also, If teams are considering throwing a player to the waiver wire, they will consider calling New England before sending
such player to waivers. That just puts us at the top of the waiver wire IMO. Who has more flexibility right now than the Pats? IMO - nobody!

6. BROWN - somehow he makes the team or retires to become a coach. He can play teams, 3rd down, or in DB packages.
7. WASHINGTON - not really tradeable IMO, let's see if he can avoid injury in camp. Who knows, he might just get dropped for cap flexibility.
8, 9 and 10.) CHILDRESS/KIGHT/JACKSON(later in year)/ETC. - I think we will see a cut here, with Jackson starting on the PUP list.

To sum it up:
a.) they keep 6 on the active roster
b.) 1 or 2 get traded
c.) 1 or 2 get cut - and we gain cap room.
d.) the remainders come up with freak injuries and land on the PUP.

One more potential benefit from all of this...I see this as being a great for Chad Jackson. He will get to learn from some very good receivers who have a similar style to his. If things don't work out with Moss, I think he'll get the picture that you not only have to be talented, but that you have to work hard and be a team player if you want to stick around.

dave

I still can't get over the fact that they traded their #28 pick for what could well be a Top Ten pick next year and a 4th rounder... then they take the 4th rounder and trade that to Oakland AND they get Moss to accept what is really a no risk contract at well below market price

So to recap - they Traded #28 for Randy Moss and a potential Top Ten Draft Pick in 2008.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I still can't get over the fact that they traded their #28 pick for what could well be a Top Ten pick next year and a 4th rounder... then they take the 4th rounder and trade that to Oakland AND they get Moss to accept what is really a no risk contract at well below market price

So to recap - they Traded #28 for Randy Moss and a potential Top Ten Draft Pick in 2008.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Yes,it is :) :) :) :)

Dude now that I have had some time to mull it over. I am going bananas. Brady will have a career year.

Moss
Stallworth
Caldwell
Welker
Gaffney??
Brown?? Washington???

I just have one final thing I want to happen. I want Troy to come back.......I would be so dissapointed if he went to another team.
Hmmm.... Troy Brown....
maybe he'll come to play as the dime back?

Guys you gotta check out this Randy Moss video. Welcome the Freak to New England baby!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6PE1bnzko

He has soft hands and he wants to score after every catch and he loves playing on a big stage.

There's another Moss vid where he catches the ball and is being brought down and Moss sees another Viking running his way and he has the presence of mind and the skill to soft toss it right into the guys hands as he's running by Moss as he's tackled and the Viking who gets the pass from Moss scores. That's a Belichick/Troy Brown kind of play. Moss hates to lose games. Putting Moss on a team that has a stranglehold on the division year after year and is built for playoff success like the Pats is a perfect marriage. Moss also loves awesome QBs, and we happen to have one in his prime who is basically a lock for Canton. I also like that he's coming to us from pretty much NFL hell. Being a member of the Pats must seem like going from the projects to the penthouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes