PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss traded to Patriots for #110 overall pick [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFLN just said that NE was the only place that Moss would agree to restructure his contract. Poor Brett Favre :D

Re: NFL.com: Raiders agree to send WR Moss to Patriots [merged]

2004 -Dante Culpepper - 4717 yards, 39 TDs - Moss 767 yards, 8 TDs
2005 - Kerry Collins - 3,759 yards (6th in the NF), 20 TD - Moss 1,005 yards, 8 TDs
2006 - Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks, and whoever - 2850 yards and 7 TDs - Moss 553 yards, 3 TDs.

So in 2004, Moss was playing with a QB who would have won the league MVP any other year, but didn't because Manning broke Marino's TD record.

In 2005, Kerry Collins was a good, not great QB who gotthe sixth most yards in the league.

Yes, in 2006, he had horrible QBs.

Don't forget that in 1999, he got over 1400 yards and a dozen TDs with Jeff George throwing to him for ten of the 16 games. So the "Who was throwing to him?" arguement is out the window. Moss used to make bad QBs look good.

Another big part of it is, Who was opposite him as the other receivers on his team? For example, if I recall, the Pats double-teamed Moss so his teammates probably had bigger stats on us than Moss did.

I have been watching some videos on youtube of Randy, and stumbled upon an exert from his documentary show, in which he goes on about how much he wants a super bowl and that hes willing to do anything to get one, but a guy who said that doesnt normally say hes not going to try anymore mid season.

i hope Randy has an interview..i wanna see what hair do he has..the fro..the corn rows..buzz cut or something else

Watson and Welker running crossing routes across the middle, with Moss going down the field and Stallworth running a 15 yard out = first down, first down, first down, touchdown.

Re: Shefler reporting Moss is a Patriot on NFL.com

I just woke up five minutes ago turned on the draft and right there on the screen is Randy Moss is traded to the Patriots. I just pissed my pants not knowing what to think.

Re: NFL.com: Raiders agree to send WR Moss to Patriots [merged]

Another big part of it is, Who was opposite him as the other receivers on his team? For example, if I recall, the Pats double-teamed Moss so his teammates probably had bigger stats on us than Moss did.

In 2005, Jerry Porter had 942 yards and 5 TDs which was down from 998 yards and 9 Tds the year before. Granted he was the defacto #1 WR that year. Nate Burelson had 1,006 yards and 9 TDs in 2004, but considering Culpepper had nearly 5,000 yards I don't know how much it was Moss or Culpepper or the system.

i sure hope Jets think so highly of Revis to cover Moss.

I have been watching some videos on youtube of Randy, and stumbled upon an exert from his documentary show, in which he goes on about how much he wants a super bowl and that hes willing to do anything to get one, but a guy who said that doesnt normally say hes not going to try anymore mid season.

He also admitted he took plays off in the NFC Championship game against the Giants which got him into a fairly public media battle with Todd Steussie because Steussie was peissed that he tried every down and Moss didn't. Granted the Vikes were down 21-0 in the first quarter, but taking plays off doesn't really mean you will do anything for a Super Bowl.

When ESPN coverage started at 11 am, the Patriots were slotted at #110 with Oakland at #127 due to the Moss trade. Twenty minutes later they announce the Moss trade official, and the Pats now at the #127 and Oakland at #110. Was the earlier posting, after the Moss trade, with us trading our 127 not 110, an error by ESPN, or did we upgrade the trade giving Oak the #110 spot after the Moss physical approved?

Last edited:
Absolute shock is the only thing that comes to mind. Moss is an incredibly gifted athlete. He has done things on the football field that we haven't seen in our generation. I'm not saying he is Jerry Rice but his unorthodox style of play is unique to anything I've ever seen. As long as he keeps his head in the business of football this will be the steal of this decade.

It's not often you get a second chance to get a player you missed on. All those teams that passed on drafting Moss felt like they struck out I'm sure.
I realize he has baggage but the reward is soooo high if he comes to play every down.

So,
basically, we traded Branch for Moss, and picked up a 2008 first rounder :)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttt!!!

Randy Moss? Are you kidding me?? For a 4th round pick?
Randy Moss is easily the most talented player we could acquire in this draft and we get him with a 2nd day pick. Whoa.

The chess game continues. I think BB is thinking, well let's see the Colts just lost their 2 starting corners and haven't replaced them yet, hell if we can't outdefend em let's just outscore em! Though of course Meriweather is going to be a huge factor to counter the Colts tight end/over the middle offense as well so BB has both bases covered.

Damn, this team has just turned from favorites overnight to HEAVY favorites. Holy moly just imagine this juggernaut offense paired with our already good defense. Ths 2007 edition might be, no this IS, the most talented Patriots team ever fielded on paper. I will be very surprised if we don't win the super bowl this year. Yes Moss has to play good citizen, but I think he is cognizant that this is probably his last chance to win a championship.

This team is totally stacked! I am psyched! And OMG imagine how fun playing the Pats on Madden is gonna be. LOL. Everyone will be calling dibs on them. :D

Dude now that I have had some time to mull it over. I am going bananas. Brady will have a career year.

Moss
Stallworth
Caldwell
Welker
Gaffney??
Brown?? Washington???

I just have one final thing I want to happen. I want Troy to come back.......I would be so dissapointed if he went to another team.

Did our offense just become dome-happy unit? 4.29! 4.29!

Lets just hope he re-structures down to a reasonable amount of money so that Pioli can extend Warren & Stallworth, if he does well.

I can't tell you how enjoyable it is to read the Coltpower forum this afternoon!!! :) :) :)

I dont think I have the cap room in Madden for this infulx of superstars!!!!

Can you imagine the competition in training camp this summer? If you are a WR on this team you must be feeling the pressure to perform well or you are out. Pretty simple actually.

if i have to be honest i'm shocked about it and i didn't expected it either

Agree with all of it.

How about how much this will help the running game by stretching out the defense? Not to mention the middle game to Brown and the TE's. Getting these guys, Moss especially, opens up everything and gives Maroney more space to run in. This is turning out to be a GREAT draft for New England who end up with two first-rounders yet again next year...amazing!
That's what I was about to say when I got to the end of reading all these posts. I don't think Maroney will be looking at 8 or 9 in the box very often with Moss and Stallworth at the wideouts.

I wasn't thrilled last night when we traded our third to Oakland - I figured THAT was the pick we were going to give up for Moss - but I don't mind a 4th, especially when you look at how we got it - Moss and SF's 2008 1st rounder for pick #28 is a good gamble.

Here is what I want to see - a restructured contract with incentives and strong language that protects the team against "contraversial" behavior. Given those protections I will be happy with this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back