PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss: "I'm the best wide receiver of all-time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might have had a case if hea had not shut it down towards the end in Minn. and with the raiders. Granted with the the likes of Andrew Walter trowing to him his #'s were going to take a hit, however it was his own fault he ended up there. He could have toughed it out in Minn untill he was a FA and then had his choice of QB's to play with.

I'd agree with you if we lived in a perfect world. Alas...

I'm a believer that Moss is one of if not the best receivers in history. I never thought Rice was the best even when he was statistically the best, I thought he could not sustain his numbers without the San Fransisco system that he came into. I think Moss is the better athlete and a player that defenses could not fully plan for in the ways that they could plan for Rice.

Moss could get to Rice's numbers...it's theoretically possible to overtake him in the three biggest receiving categories: TDs, receiving yards, and receptions.

72 more TDs needed, he is averaging about 12 on his career. That's another six seasons of work for him, easily doable.

9,694 more recieving yards, he is averaging about 1200 yards a year so he needs eight more years to break the yardage record.

706 more receptions, he his averaging about 77 receptions a year so just over nine years more needed to break the receptions record.

If he stays on pace he could make it another nine years or longer and break those records. With his body and lack of injuries in the past it's a strong possibility that he could stay on for even longer than nine years extending the records if/when he breaks them.

Regarding the talk about T.O.: T.O. has something that Moss doesn't have- two more years in the league. T.O.'s career stats are slightly better than Moss's stats but really only due to being in the league two years longer. Moss would be at or better than T.O. if he was in the league for 13 years like T.O. has been...

Last edited:
Umm. I'm not sure Moss is the best right now. I think Fitzgerald--and boy the Pats coveted him--is tops.

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Randy Moss
3. TO

Until he surpasses Rice's TD rankings, regardless if they are artificially inflated because of playing against weaker competition one year, Rice stays Numero Uno. Period.

That's how it works with the nation as a whole, not just Patriots Nation.

He could have toughed it out in Minn untill he was a FA and then had his choice of QB's to play with.

Because this is baseball, and he can use his no trade clause to block the trade.

Ya that's kind of how it works. Think about it. I rank Brady ahead of Marino because he has 3 SB's. Marino is top 5 but I cant rank him number 1 because of the other candidates with rings. I rank sweetness ahead of Sanders because of his ring along with other reasons. Jerry Rice is a three time Superbowl champion and he leads virtually every receiving category known to man. I honestly belive that Rice is one of the G.O.A.T. in football.

So, Trent Dilfer is better than Marino? Hes got a ring.

Umm. I'm not sure Moss is the best right now. I think Fitzgerald--and boy the Pats coveted him--is tops.

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Randy Moss
3. TO

Until he surpasses Rice's TD rankings, regardless if they are artificially inflated because of playing against weaker competition one year, Rice stays Numero Uno. Period.

That's how it works with the nation as a whole, not just Patriots Nation.

I agree that Fitzgerald does have a very bright future and may finish his career as the best of all time. However, with that said, I would not put him ahead of Moss at this point. Moss is a record holder in several receiving catagories and was one of the main reasons a football team (you may be familiar with them) finished the regular season undefeated. As of right now, I would go like this...

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Fitzgerald

The only reason Fitzgerald is even on this list is his unlimited potential. There are 100+ other receivers from today or back then that I could put at that spot.

72 more TDs needed, he is averaging about 12 on his career. That's another six seasons of work for him, easily doable.

9,694 more recieving yards, he is averaging about 1200 yards a year so he needs eight more years to break the yardage record.

706 more receptions, he his averaging about 77 receptions a year so just over nine years more needed to break the receptions record.

If he stays on pace he could make it another nine years or longer and break those records. With his body and lack of injuries in the past it's a strong possibility that he could stay on for even longer than nine years extending the records if/when he breaks them.

Regarding the talk about T.O.: T.O. has something that Moss doesn't have- two more years in the league. T.O.'s career stats are slightly better than Moss's stats but really only due to being in the league two years longer. Moss would be at or better than T.O. if he was in the league for 13 years like T.O. has been...

Are you seriously expecting Randy to be playing for such a long time?? :confused:

Are you seriously expecting Randy to be playing for such a long time?? :confused:

He could blow out his knee in camp and never be the same or he could have career years and drop the time frame down by a year or two....either way it's just an projection stating that it is possible.

Many have stated this and I'm in total agreement:

- Moss is the most physically gifted wide receiver in history IMHO. The only receiver that I have seen that might be on par in terms of physical skills and talent is Calvin Johnson.

- Rice has statistics and Super Bowl rings. So until Moss wins a Super Bowl or two...Rice will and SHOULD always be considered as the greatest wide receiver in history.

- I laugh when stupid fans think that Fitzgerald or TO should be ranked higher than Moss on any lists.

- Being on two different teams that scored the most points in NFL history is not a fluke...this showed how he can improve a team offensively. Winning the Superbowl ...however...depends more on an entire team contribution and not just a single player and also a little bit of luck.

I have no problem with Moss saying "I'm the best wide receiver of all-time". For one thing he probably didnt say it with a straight face. But even if he was serious..so what? He's an elite professional athlete. He has confidence in himself. He's also a star wide receiver and all those star wide receivers are divas in heart.

What do you want him to say? "Well I'm really not that great and there are several receivers that are alot better than me." or one of those safe noncontroversial statements that doesnt say much that Manning always stammer out that sounds totally boring and fake.

Last edited:
I think a receiver who IMO is top 3 great WRs in today's game which gets little attention is Steve Smith of the Panthers

Put Smith in a big market and he would be even more known for his extreme talent

I think Rice is better... but here's the case for Moss :

He arrives in Minni - they go crazy ; he comes to NE - they go crazy. He couls easily say that he was the difference maker in two of the greatest offensive machines in NFL history.

Rice has rings - but in the no-salary-cap era he played in, it was easier to amass and keep talent.

I think Moss is better than Rice.

You put Moss on a team like the 49ers that had won 2 Superbowls before Rice ever put on a 49ers jersey before the salary cap era....we probably would be talking about 150-160 TDs at least as of today. He wasted 2 years on a horrible Raiders franchise that is still just as horrible as when he left.

23 TDs in 2007 (Tom Brady)

17 TDs in 2003 (Daunte Culpepper)

17 TDs in 1998 (Randall Cunningham/Brad Johnson)

15 TDs in 2000 (Daunte Culpepper)

If Moss averages 15 TDs per season for the next 4 seasons...very VERY possible...at age 35 at the end of the 2012 season, he would be at 195....just TWO (2) TDs behind Jerry Rice's 197 career receiving TDs.

Jerry Rice's records in my mind are longevity records....if Randy plays until he's 41 or 42, he would be in the 220-250 range in career TDs.

And let's not forget that likely in the 2011 season and beyond, the NFL will be playing 18 games!

Before somebody tells me how Great God is, Kids in Africa need to stop starving

That is a great analogy!

Seriously though, before talking about how great one is, you need to make sure you don't drop the damn ball! He does that TOO MUCH.

Back to your point, that's one reason I don't believe in God. He's either incredibly indifferent, or incredibly cruel. Or maybe just not there at all!

Doesn't have much to do with Moss dropping balls though.

That is a great analogy!

Seriously though, before talking about how great one is, you need to make sure you don't drop the damn ball! He does that TOO MUCH.

Back to your point, that's one reason I don't believe in God. He's either incredibly indifferent, or incredibly cruel. Or maybe just not there at all!

Doesn't have much to do with Moss dropping balls though.

Or mabey he's a Dolphin fan.

You're right, there is no God.

He could blow out his knee in camp and never be the same or he could have career years and drop the time frame down by a year or two....either way it's just an projection stating that it is possible.

Injuries at camp or first game or in the bathroom are faced by every player. So, let's focus on realistic assumptions as it pertains to each player/position.

Though I love Moss, I have a tough time trying to have faith that he can deliver at the current level for the next 7-9 years.

I expect his current production to start declining (assuming he is still with us and TB is our QB) after three/four years.

Can he do what you project? Possible, yes, but probable? No.

Jerry Rice may be in the top 3 of greatest athletes in any sport, ever.

As I recall he's a 2-sport guy counting Dancing With The Stars.

Randy really needs a ring or two before he talks crap like this. best wide receiver ever is a bold statement. would that be catching the ball, total catches, total yards ... YAC ? What good is the greatest WR ever if he can't get open in the Super Bowl? I love his ability, desire and dedication but I'll take Rice all day long ... he did it on the biggest stage and Moss has yet to pull that off. Moss a ctually did not even have a good playoffs and he had one of the greatest ever at QB ... so STFU Randy, until you're wearing a ring.

I think its a great time to come out and say something like that. Think about it, he says that now and then he grabs 20 off Brady next season and everyone agrees. :)

I suspect that if Moss plays five more years there will be little argument. But five years is a long time.

If you have questions, consider Rice playing for the quraterbacks that Moss played for.

But no one can take it away from Rice as of now. He did play a long time and has all the records. We'll see if Randy sticks around just to break records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back