PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss: "I'm the best wide receiver of all-time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is getting TO going. This will set him off and lead to chaos with the Bills

It is evil and I like it
I don't know abut leading to chaos on the bills, but i agree it will get TO going. I'm sure he will start running his mouth soon.

I'm lost. How can he be the greatest wide receiver of all time, but only the second best receiver ever to come out of Marshall University? :D

Rice hands down.
Moss is a one trick pony(a very good trick). Sprint down the sideline, outrun the coverage, and let the ball drop into his lap. He doesn't out jump the DB. On crossing patterns, he makes the catch and usually drops to the ground. He is all about straightline speed with little lateral movement.
Rice worked the center of the field like no other. Make the catch , make the move, head down field. My limited memory can't think of one time Rice was laid out after the catch. I do remember LB/DBs bouncing off each other trying to get to Rice.
For Patsfans that have forgotten Moss' playoff stats in 2007...
vs. Jacksonville.....1-14-0 (6th in catches for Pats)
vs SD..................1-18-0 (3rd in catches for Pats)
NYG....................5-62-1 (2nd in catches for Pats)
Total.....7-94-1
Welker on the other hand went...
9-54-1
7-56-1
11-103-0
Total....27-213-2

Well, went you start talking about GOAT's at any position, usually the conversation starts with guys in the HOF and have been out of the league a few years.

The fact that Guys like Randy and Tommy are still playing and being talked about as GOAT's at their position OR in general - it is a scary proposition for a lot of guys - I mean, if they click over the net 2-4 years? Their numbers could be banana's....BANANAS'S I SAY!

Moss spent his entire career with the Vikings making the likes of Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper and Todd Bouman look like all pros. In his one year with Brady, he set the single-season touchdown record. I dunno if he's the best ever, but he can certainly make a case for it if he wants.

Last edited:
Something tells me the Humble Pie shirts are in the wash right now.

He doesn't out jump the DB.

Did you seriously just type that with a straight face?

Moss is probably the best pure-talent WR the league has ever seen. Doesn't mean he's had, or will have, the most impressive career.

Probably the most dangerous weapon ever not just at WR but any position.

But I would take Rice any day.

He could have been more Muhammad Ali and included "...and the best lover."

He does have four kids with his girlfriend. I also have four children, but would never have been able to pull that off without first giving the frau the ring.

How does Randy do it? He very well may be the best, although the consensus is probably Jerry Rice, the guy the Pats passed on in the draft.

Jerry rice was overrated.

Last edited:
Jerry Rice was the best receiver I had ever seen - Raymond Berry as well was a pretty good one back in the day.

If Randy Moss continued his career through Oakland like he was in his early years in Minny then I would say its a tie but the Raider years seperates Randy from Jerry IMO - The Raiders years for Randy were forgettable,of course it was not his fault he had no QB but nevertheless they were not very pretty.

There are some great receivers that tend to get overlooked when it comes to the G.O.A.T. discussion. A guy like Paul Warfield immediately comes to mind, for example. I figure Moss is a top 5 guy, and probably top 2-3, but I'm not going to put him at G.O.A.T. anytime soon. He'll have to settle for "most talented" for now.

Last edited:
Jerry Rice is the first name that comes to my mind when we're discussing the best of the best. It was what Rice did after the catch that made him amazing.

From a pure talent standpoint, Randy Moss is a phenomenal athlete. He has made catches from Brady that you could argue no other starting receiver could've made. His athleticism is off the charts. Physically I believe he's peerless. Mentally he's just as good. What I wonder most about Moss: Is he a person that's so talented in his profession that he gets bored or easily distracted? I tend to ignore his time with Oakland and choose to think of what he has done with Minnesota and New England. I've read that the knock on Moss is directly related to his attitude. He takes plays off when he isn't involved in a play. He doesn't block... Is he self-centered? Regardless of character flaws, Moss is truly unstoppable when he's focused and paired with a head coach he respects and teamed with a teammate that can push him as was the case with Cris Carter and, today, with Tom Brady. In Oakland, I don't believe he really had that one person. He was left to his own maturity to act the right way. Getting traded to Oakland was the worst thing that could've happened to him in his career. Thank goodness for him and Patriots fans that such a talented player wasn't wasted in purgatory. A living nightmare for any player playing with the Raiders right now.

If I may borrow a cliche, Moss will go down in NFL history as the most physically gifted receiver ever. Is Moss the greatest receiver ever to play the game? I've a tough time saying that when you consider Rice's records at his position and his Super Bowl championships with San Francisco. Not to mention, his individual accolades including a Super Bowl MVP and multiple Pro Bowl appearances.

Last edited:
Even if it were true, and it probably isn't, he should drink a bottle of STFU and focus on training.

I think that TO wants in on this conversation. ;)

But seriously though as far as physical talent, speed, and ability to play the game, Moss is the best WR I've ever seen. He has the ability to make ridiculous one handed catches, can outleap/outheight most CBs and dictates how the defense plays the game. You MUST gameplan for Randy Moss or he will destroy your defense. The way Moss was able to absorb the Pats complex offense in just his first year speaks volumes about his football IQ, so there's no question about that either in my mind.

Now Rice vs Moss is a tough one. So far Rice has had the better overall career in terms of accomplishment and he was just so hard to stop. I think you had to gameplan for him as well. But he didn't have the same overall athleticism and speed as Moss. I think if Moss continues to have a few more seasons like 07 with Brady, he will soon wrap up the #1 WR discussion. But he still has to produce at a high level for a few more years to get there.

Even if it were true, and it probably isn't, he should drink a bottle of STFU and focus on training.

Dude, Randy ain't hard to find. Especially right now. So how about u go tell him? Let me know how it turns out

I am waiting for Moss and Galloway to have a big fight over who has the better Smoothie Franchise :disagreement:

They'll have an argument over who's the fastest receiver on the team. Welker's quick and elusive but Moss and Galloway have the all out speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back