PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss: "I'm the best wide receiver of all-time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two positions where you can't have an argument over who's the GOAT: Wide Receiver (Jerry Rice) and Linebacker (Lawrence Taylor). Probably safety too (Ronnie Lott).

Last edited:
Well, if you consider that he has played for the 2 of the highest scoring offenses in NFL history (1998 Vikings & 2007 Patriots), and that he can legitimately threaten the career TD records Jerry Rice holds, then I think Randy has a case.

I certainly think Randy can break the 200 career TDs mark easily before his career is over if he can avoid serious injuries in the future.

He is getting TO going. This will set him off and lead to chaos with the Bills

It is evil and I like it

He's not the greatest, but certainly the most physically gifted. If Moss had a Jerry Rice (or even T.O) like work ethic, he would be so far above any other WR to ever play that it would be ridiculous.

I won't hold his Raider's stint against him. Not his fault the team sucked.

GOAT? It's him or Rice. And he has a case for himself in my book.

I'm a Randy Homer, though, and am wearing his jersey right now.

-Rob-

Although it sounds like I'm biased, he is. No corner in the NFL can guard him one one one. No corner can out jump him for a ball. Moss will always demand a safety to help contain him (and that's not guaranteed to work). If Moss played with Brady immediately after his time with the Vikings, he would've had a great chance to beat Rice's numbers.

As of right now, Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss are the best WR's in the NFL.

Last edited:
Jerry Rice has compiled the greatest career and has the greatest work ethic.

One game, randy Moss is the greatest. Compilation of statistics, though admirable, does not constitute greatness.

Willie Mays was the greatest, Hank Aaron wasn't close. Though he passed Ruth, Ruth was great, Hank was consistent.

Last edited:
He might have had a case if he had played with a Montana/Young/Brady caliber QB for his entire career.

He might have had a case if he had played with a Montana/Young/Brady caliber QB for his entire career.
Yeah, I think Moss is the best WR of all time but Rice had the best career of all time for the reason explained so succinctly above.

bspn stirring the pot. They baited Moss by asking his reaction to an article that not only did not rank Moss, but included an athlete who has never played in the NFL - LeBron James - at number four. Besides including James, that list also ranked James Lofton as numer one, so I would not put a lot of merit in to the original column.

What is a bit disconcerting is the fact that Moss felt the need to respond, to take the bait.Though he tempered it with other comments (below), the headlines are out there and his other comments will be ignored. This just after proclaiming that the Pats offense will be scary and better than '07. It's not a whole lot different than what just happened with Peyton Manning: an interview with 95% positive comments is ignored and the 5% of his wording that just may be construed as controversial makes the headlines.

"I don't really know where I rank at, but as long as I get a Super Bowl ring before I leave this game, I think my life and my goal would be complete in the NFL," he said.

"Football is my love. That's my life," Moss said. "There's a lot of things I haven't done on the football field that I still want to do. I don't know what life after football holds for me."

"There's still a lot of football left in my body, and I want to definitely play until the wheels fall off."

Perhaps it's time for BB and TB to sit down and go over a refresher course in Media Relations 101 with Randy since few will see the comments above, but many will see and repeat these:

"I'm the best wide receiver of all-time, hands down,"

"I don't really like to judge people or other athletes. I know what I'm able to do on the field, but the things I'm able to do to dictate how a defense plays the game, I don't think there's no other receiver but myself and Jerry Rice to be able to do that."

"records are meant to be broken. I think that I've made a mark for myself and my name to go down as if not the greatest but one of the greatest players.

"To hell with wide receiver. I think I go down as one of the greatest players to ever play this game."

Indeed, as great as Rice was, he had two HOFer's tossing him balls for his first 14 seasons played. And then when those two guys called it careers, Rice got to play with two guys, Garcia and Gannon, who played lights out for the next 4 of Rice's seasons. Not a bad collection of QB talent to work with if you are Jerry Rice.

Meanwhile, Moss had a collection of QB wannabee's tossing him balls up until he came to Foxboro.

I love Randy, but I'd take Jerry Rice any day of the week. I also think a focus TO is better.

I wish Randy was the sort to not answer this question, but for better or worse he does seem like a straight shooter.

lol, Moss was probably jsut said that with a laugh,a nd ESPN took it to heart to create controversy (surprised?)

if u read on Moss does mention jerry rice:

""I don't really like to judge people or other athletes. I know what I'm able to do on the field, but the things I'm able to do to dictate how a defense plays the game, I don't think there's no other receiver but myself and Jerry Rice to be able to do that."

and its really no question who the two best WR's have been...its Moss and Rice, and Moss is really not comparable with any other WR....and he knows this as much as we

Indeed, as great as Rice was, he had two HOFer's tossing him balls for his first 14 seasons played. And then when those two guys called it careers, Rice got to play with two guys, Garcia and Gannon, who played lights out for the next 4 of Rice's seasons. Not a bad collection of QB talent to work with if you are Jerry Rice.

Meanwhile, Moss had a collection of QB wannabee's tossing him balls up until he came to Foxboro.

Then there's the 22 TDs Rice racked up in 12 games against the scabs. But we went through that in 07...

If he breaks Rice's TD records, he will have a legitimate case. However, the only thing that hurts his case is the emergence of Larry Fitzgerald and how long he has left in his career. Ten years from now, I have a feeling that we'll be having a three way argument over greatest receiver of all time. It will be between Rice, Moss, and Fitzgerald. AS OF RIGHT NOW, I would rank the all time two as such...

1. Rice
2. Moss

However, I think (and hope) that #81 has a lot of juice left.

He's not even the best PATRIOTS reciever of all time.

That would be Stanley Morgan :D

If there's a WR you could have in their prime for one single game, who would you take? I'd take Moss. The guy was insane when he was younger. Rice benefited from having Hall of Fame QBs throwing to him. Moss made Culpepper look like a Hall of Fame. If Moss was playing with Brady for his entire career, he'd have all the receiving records.

If he breaks Rice's TD records, he will have a legitimate case. However, the only thing that hurts his case is the emergence of Larry Fitzgerald and how long he has left in his career. Ten years from now, I have a feeling that we'll be having a three way argument over greatest receiver of all time. It will be between Rice, Moss, and Fitzgerald. AS OF RIGHT NOW, I would rank the all time two as such...

1. Rice
2. Moss

However, I think (and hope) that #81 has a lot of juice left.

Good stuff. I'm a huge fan of Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't think Warner will play much longer. Who's going to throw to him? If he has someone to throw to him, and stays healthy, he will certainly be in the conversation.

Last edited:

Revisionist history. Culpepper was a top 5 QB from 2000-2004. Moss was playing with what, at the time, looked to be a future HOF. Moss likely will finish his career #2 all time in most categories, but Rice's accomplishments go way beyond numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes