PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss drops longtime agent, plans to go rest of career without one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might mean the difference between a long-term deal and not was his agents' commission.

His agent netted roughly $700K total out of his last deal ($28M) and since he utilizes Bus Cook in the contract process probably less...so guess again.

It's a very strange move since this guy has been his loyal corner man since highschool and got him into and out of Oakland and put together a team of local lawyers that got that BS with the old female friend squashed in short order. DiPietro has always seemingly cared first and foremost about getting Randy what he needed, including getting his career back on track in the right atmosphere in 2007 even at a discount. Randy seemed poised to try and leverage his 2007 season into a better offer than the one the Pats had on the table well prior to the FA deadline in 2008. I have a feeling DiPietro was the guy who counseled him to remain here and be happy and productive on NE's terms in a supportive environment. He absorbed a substantial commission hit when Randy restructured to facilitate the trade. A lot of agents scuttle that kind of deal for purely selfish reasons.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold from here. I guess where he finishes his career will likely tell us what this was all about. If it is here on a hometown deal vs. back in Minnesota or elsewhere on a top 5 looking deal...with a Rosenhaus or the like driving the Moss train. I agree with the PFT take that emotional, insecure or criticism sensitive players are better served having agents handle the hand to hand contract combat.

If he's looking for a big deal, then that isn't good news for either Moss or the Pats. At 34, he's unlikely to get a big contract from us like the one he signed in 2007.

Hey Kontra, watcha gonna do with that wacky avatar pic now that Gary Colman is dead? Reads like you're speaking from beyond the grave. lol.

"Watchoo talkin' 'bout, Pewsterbaby?"

I wouldnt think too much into this. I think he's just taking the Teddy Bruschi approach to handling his contracts. He'll simplify his demands as well as the layout of the contract, tell the Pats or whatever team, "X" will be his asking price, he'll probably settle for "Y", and you either want me or you dont.

This is a guy confident in his abilities and what he brings to the table. Doesnt mean he's staying or leaving after the season. Just means he thinks he can handle the process independently, like many many others before him. He's not a Daunte Culpepper type that's gonna have to go beating down doors for a job.

Hey Kontra, watcha gonna do with that wacky avatar pic now that Gary Colman is dead? Reads like you're speaking from beyond the grave. lol.

Silly me. I thought the avatar WAS Kontra!

Re: Randy Moss changes agents

I want Moss to retire a Patriot. I hope this is a good sign for that but I'm not sure what to think. Maybe if he ends up representing himself then there's a chance. If he hires another agent than it means he wants to get the best deal he can while he can, I guess.

I want Moss back for this year and next AT LEAST. However, I think his future as a Patriot depends on if the team needs his veteran leadership next year and if he welcomes that roll.

His agent netted roughly $700K total out of his last deal ($28M) and since he utilizes Bus Cook in the contract process probably less...so guess again.

It's a very strange move since this guy has been his loyal corner man since highschool and got him into and out of Oakland and put together a team of local lawyers that got that BS with the old female friend squashed in short order. DiPietro has always seemingly cared first and foremost about getting Randy what he needed, including getting his career back on track in the right atmosphere in 2007 even at a discount. Randy seemed poised to try and leverage his 2007 season into a better offer than the one the Pats had on the table well prior to the FA deadline in 2008. I have a feeling DiPietro was the guy who counseled him to remain here and be happy and productive on NE's terms in a supportive environment. He absorbed a substantial commission hit when Randy restructured to facilitate the trade. A lot of agents scuttle that kind of deal for purely selfish reasons.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold from here. I guess where he finishes his career will likely tell us what this was all about. If it is here on a hometown deal vs. back in Minnesota or elsewhere on a top 5 looking deal...with a Rosenhaus or the like driving the Moss train. I agree with the PFT take that emotional, insecure or criticism sensitive players are better served having agents handle the hand to hand contract combat.

Well said!

Gary Coleman died? I thought it was all a dream. :cool:

The latest chapter: BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots WR Randy Moss says he’s not retiring soon, but is searching for an agent: “I’m a free man!”

“The way it was brought to my attention was that it seemed like I’m retiring soon,” Moss told me. “I have no intention of retiring soon. What I did with firing an agent was, I thought time had run out. There were some things that couldn’t be done that needed to be done.”

“I wanted to let fans know, this is my year,” Moss said. “I’m going to play the year, I’m not coming in to start any conflicts or be disgruntled. I don’t think I’m realistically in the future plans of the Patriots. But if the New England Patriots don’t want me in their future, (it’s a business). I understand.”

Moss also goes on to say he wants a new agent that can maximize his marketing potential, and that was the reason for firing DiPiero.

I'm jumping right on board the Moss will serve as his own agent bandwagon.

I'll also jump on the if anything he will hire someone or a company
to help him in the PR department as he prepares for life beyond the NFL.

Moss is a smart guy, he knows he's just about at the end
but I bet he also realizes he can make a ton more money if he is marketed correctly in other areas.

A slam dunk of a post if I say so myself ... good job F.B.N.
:D:D:D

Moss explains agent decision to Herald - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
The move was made because Moss is seeking more marketing opportunities, and he hopes a new agent will help produce those.

"That’s what I’m looking for right now — that off-the-field money," Moss told Rapoport. "I really wasn’t into commercials,

because I wanted to concentrate on one objective, being a better football player year-in and year-out. Now, late in my career,

I’m still thinking I have some marketing opportunities out there. I need an agent or agency
that’s going to get out there and find those business deals off the field.” ]

Last edited:

Good lord, Pewster!

You are comparing a 400 lb giant to Gary Coleman the dwarf?

In your defense, at least both are now dead (unfortunately).

Your pop culture references need some brushing up:D

Good lord, Pewster!

You are comparing a 400 lb giant to Gary Coleman the dwarf?

In your defense, at least both are now dead (unfortunately).

Your pop culture references need some brushing up:D

Hopefully he was kidding. :cool:

So to recap...

Randy isn't gonna be a distraction this season, even though he still believes he is not in the Patriots plans going forward. He is ready to rock and roll, although he is focused on his off field marketability - something he seemingly avoided earlier in favor of focusing on his on field market. That wasn't DiPietro's decision. Lots of players have player agents and marketing reps. Tommy does. Probably a little late to max out his endorsement potential now, particularly when no one knows where he will be endorsing from in 2011 and beyond. Wants to do commercials... I'm not sure what his niche would be. He's not exactly been a media darling in his career and except for Minnesota (early on) and here in 2007. There is always the specter of a relationship souring with him and those players don't usually garner the big endorsement deals for fear of backlash if times get tough. Here in NE the core leaders get the deals with team marketing partners. That said, somehow I can't envision Randy effectively delivering a Bob's Store or Bernie and Phyls or Papa Gino's message anyway...despite his charisma. Not sure he's got the comedic timing or the self effacing nature to pull it off or endure the usually good natured goading that sometimes comes with the territory when you're selling yourself...

Rand is certainly a different kind of dude. Bit of a square peg trying to work within a round hole here. Hopefully it all ends amicably here sometime next February in a sea of hugs and confetti...

BTW kudos to Ian Rappaport, essentially the new kid on the block, cultivating this level of access...

I think Randy is a smart enough dude to realize that all the off the field stuff he wants will only come with production on the field. The guy takes a ton of heat but if you look at his production over the last 3 years his only comparisons are Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, not bad company.

I'm tired of hearing Florio invent ways of having Moss back in Minnesota.

Someone told me this morning they heard a rumor Moss was going to retire. I wonder if this was what they were thinking of?

I'm jumping right on board the Moss will serve as his own agent bandwagon.

I'll also jump on the if anything he will hire someone or a company
to help him in the PR department as he prepares for life beyond the NFL.

Moss is a smart guy, he knows he's just about at the end
but I bet he also realizes he can make a ton more money if he is marketed correctly in other areas.

If Randy Moss goes the Tedy Bruschi route, I'd like to see him remain a Patriot the rest of his career. He's still the best weapon that the Pats have. I'm sure he will drop off a little bit due to age, but there have been quite a few receivers that were still productive late in their careers and I think Randy can be one of them.

MoLewisrocks said:
BTW kudos to Ian Rappaport, essentially the new kid on the block, cultivating this level of access...

I agree, and he's also just a great guy in general. He's been a terrific edition to the Herald, and a great resource for all of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing