Welcome to PatsFans.com

Randy Moss catching TDs at record pace (faster than Rice)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by solman, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Most Touchdowns scored through the end of the season that begins when the player is 30*:

Jerry Rice: 118
    Terrell Owens: 95

Randy Moss: 117 SO FAR

If Randy Moss finishes this year with 22 TDs, signs a six year contract with the Patriots, and averages 13 TDs over those seasons, he will eclipse Rice's career TD record (by 4) at an age when Rice still had 35-40 TDs left in him.

Jerry Rice's production slowed down when he was 33-34. He averaged under 7 TDs for seven years, then under 2 TDs for three years.

[*] Randy Moss also has an age advantage of nearly a year on these guys. If I made the criteria most TDs through the season ENDING when the player is 30, the numbers would be:

Jerry Rice: 103
    Terrell Owens: 81

Randy Moss: 117 SO FAR
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The key with Moss is obviously health, cause he really does have a legitimate shot at beating Rice's all time TD record. One thing about Moss is that even 5 years from now, he'll still be a great redzone TD threat because of his height and good body control. So as he ages he has a legitimate chance to stil rack high TD totals despite not being the yardage threat he is today.
  3. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

6 year contract?

13 Td's a year?

Your asking way to much for way to long.

Theres no way we sign anyone outside of Brady again for 6 years. Espeically not a WR, Moss is the best you can get right now and i dont even think he gets 6 years.
  4. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ty Warren is under contract through 2013. Including this year, that's SEVEN seasons.

Donte Stallworth signed a six year deal this past offseason. Last I checked, he is a wide receiver.

You sign a player to a six year deal to maximize bonus proration. Often the player gets cut before the later years.
  5. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

If my math is right, you're talking about Rice's receiving TD record, right? Getting to Rice's all time TD record (207) would be a stretch, I think.

I think if Moss stays healthy and in the right system, Rice's receiving record is in range. Assuming 13 TDs a year for 6 years, though, is pretty aspirational. All it takes is one 5 or 6 TD year to throw a monkey wrench in there. I think Moss will easily cruise to second all time on receiving TDs sometime next year and could potentially even catch Emmett Smith for second all time on total TDs.

Not saying catching Rice's records is out of the question, but conditions really will need to stay perfect.
  6. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Randy Moss 31

Donte Stallworth 26

Ty Warren given an extension not a new contract. 26
  7. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Randy Moss is 30. Rodney Harrison was 31 when he signed a six year deal before the 2003 season.

If Rodney finished his contract, he would (at that time) be as old as John Lynch, the oldest safety in the NFL.

Wide receivers can last longer.

Rice played to 41. Ricky Proehl was a few months shy of 39 when he was playing last year. Troy Brown is 36.

Rice had 15 TDs when he was 33.

TO has 12 TDs through 10 games and he is about to turn 34.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.