PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss: Can he carry the offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEfan32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Look, Tom Brady going down sucks. Probably worse than the SB 42 loss. But, before last season, he was throwing 20-30 TDS with 12-14 int. While Tom is the best player in the league, aside from last season, his numbers were NOT out of this world.

Now, you can't replace the decision making, leadership or what not, but at the same time, Tom is not the entire team. IMO, Moss is just a little less important than Brady.

Think about it, Moss single handedly make Daunte Culpepper, make Randall Cunningham an MVP, and resurrected Jeff George's career.

The Patriots defense is still the same, the running game is still the same, the special teams is still the same and they STILL have the best receivers in the game.

While Cassel is no Brady, Moss can carry this offense in the fact that all Cassel needs to do is execute.

I don't know if I am explaining this how I want to. Basically, if Tom went down and we have Branch, Givens and Patten, we would be screwed, but since we have Moss and Welker, I feel like any QB with our O-Line could lead us to the playoffs. Moss makes QB's, and why not the same with a Cassel or whomever?

Moss will make an impact, and Gaffney is clutch. I'm sure Kelley Washington will step it up. The biggest weak link is Brady2Welker being gone. Welker is an amazing receiver, made especially lethal because of his size, speed, ability to take a hit and absolute intensity. But...

My biggest fear with Cassel isn't being able to get the ball to Moss, Gaffney or Washington, it's being able to do the short, needling the thread passes to Welker that made the offense so deadly last year.

I don't know that any WR can carry an offense, simply because on a great day he gets the ball 10 times out of what, 60 plays? We have 4 good running backs. A lot is on them.

The question is whether or not Cassel can play better than Kerry Collins did those two years he had Moss on the Raiders.

Look, Tom Brady going down sucks. Probably worse than the SB 42 loss. But, before last season, he was throwing 20-30 TDS with 12-14 int. While Tom is the best player in the league, aside from last season, his numbers were NOT out of this world.

Now, you can't replace the decision making, leadership or what not, but at the same time, Tom is not the entire team. IMO, Moss is just a little less important than Brady.

Think about it, Moss single handedly make Daunte Culpepper, make Randall Cunningham an MVP, and resurrected Jeff George's career.

The Patriots defense is still the same, the running game is still the same, the special teams is still the same and they STILL have the best receivers in the game.

While Cassel is no Brady, Moss can carry this offense in the fact that all Cassel needs to do is execute.

I don't know if I am explaining this how I want to. Basically, if Tom went down and we have Branch, Givens and Patten, we would be screwed, but since we have Moss and Welker, I feel like any QB with our O-Line could lead us to the playoffs. Moss makes QB's, and why not the same with a Cassel or whomever?

The intangables you listed are what makes Brady one of the greatest ever. Bradys numbers before? They had more to do with the offensive scheme/weapons, than his ability. Athletic ability is close in the NFL. The intangables are what seperates the good ones from the great ones.

This is a massive loss......an epic loss.

Last edited:
The question is... can Matt Cassell carry the offense?
Randy does what he does, the QB needs to get the ball to him.
Matt is the one who has to step up most of all.

Call me crazy, but isn't Moss slightly dependent on Cassell to get the ball to him?

So if anyone's looking for Moss to carry they offense they'd be expecing Cassell to carry the offense as well, and I tend to think that's not the game plan.

In fact I'd say the game plan stays the same - a balance between running and throwing.

The benefit Moss brings is that DCs are still going to need to account for him deep.

My answer is we have to run the ball more. We have 4 terrific RB's - let's utilise them. We were going at around 5.5 ypc on Sunday, and I want to see us keep that up, over more carries.

What is this basketball, there will be no "carrying". There will be 11 men on offense, 11 men on defense and 11 men on special teams on the field at any given time, all expected to do their jobs. This chain shall be strong, and our weakest link shall be stronger than 31 other teams' weakest links. Teamwork baby, team... work!

NOTHING is worse than the super bowl 42 loss. the end of a season in disappointment is harder to deal with than starting a season with tragedy.

moss can contribute, he scored the first touchdown. cassel can throw to him. moss has carried teams to the playoffs before, and i can see him doing it again. maybe cassel can even carry us to the superbowl.

i wonder if tom will meet up with vince young and jeff garcia this week and compare knee injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes