PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random thought - How far can JaMarcus Russell, throw a ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and wondering... most NFL QBs can throw the ball 60-70 yards, really big arms can get close to 80.

With his size I wonder if he can get up there in the Elway, Randall Cunningham range of 85+

For people who haven't played football an 80 yard bomb is an incredible site. Similar to a 350 yard drive in golf.

I guess there's some merit in the curiosity factor, but most of those guys who cannons never amount to much. You mention Elway and Cunningham, and they were probably the best. Others in that group are Kordell Stewart, Jeff George, and Kyle Boller.

To keep analogies, it's like the guys on the driving ranges who can consistently crank out 325+, but are nowhere near the ability of a pro golfer.

Rumor has it that Steve Bartkowski, former QB for the Falcons, could hurl it 100 plus yards. That was before my time, but several people have discussed it previously.

I guess there's some merit in the curiosity factor, but most of those guys who cannons never amount to much. You mention Elway and Cunningham, and they were probably the best. Others in that group are Kordell Stewart, Jeff George, and Kyle Boller.

To keep analogies, it's like the guys on the driving ranges who can consistently crank out 325+, but are nowhere near the ability of a pro golfer.

It is purely morbid curiousity, like a freak show. If he goes to Oakland he won't be able to show off the deep throws, sacked after 3 steps.

For people who haven't played football an 80 yard bomb is an incredible site. Similar to a 350 yard drive in golf.

Did you know that one of the Pats new signings claims to have thrown 80 yds? Coincidentally, I just posted that tidbit today. :)

While watching the combine, I believe Mike Mayock said the rumours are that he can throw it 40 yards sitting on his butt, 60 yards from his knees and 80+ yards from feet. Therefore, if he goes to the Raiders and with Gallery protecting him we should see a lot of 40 yard throws.

sweet.

well if you can somehow make him look like a 7th grader and enter him in a punt, pass, and kick competition he might earn you a nifty trophy

While watching the combine, I believe Mike Mayock said the rumours are that he can throw it 40 yards sitting on his butt, 60 yards from his knees and 80+ yards from feet. Therefore, if he goes to the Raiders and with Gallery protecting him we should see a lot of 40 yard throws.
:rofl: In another thread it was mentioned how Gallery is a better RT...trouble is he played RT last year and stunk. I'd feel bad for the kid, except he's a Raider.

Gallery is in serious need of discipline and coaching. He should be a monster tackle, but his footwork stinks and he's not disciplined enough to quit jumping offsides.

Notes from his pro day, this is one of those generational items. In 10 years it will be common to see this type of arm, but for now he is ahead of the curve.

A.J. Smith of the San Diego Chargers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Bruce Allen.

"And as far as the arm goes, he definitely got a little check mark in that box. It's remarkable."

Smith went a step further, saying Russell's arm was perhaps the best of any prospect he'd ever scouted in person.

"As far as velocity and arm strength, no question," Smith (Charger GM) said. "I would have to search to find someone to put into his category. … I just watched him and just thought about how I hope I don't have to face him the next 12 years in our division."

"common thread shared: that Russell has one of the best arms most can remember among NFL draft prospects. "

Last edited:
You know those little widget ball thingys in a Guinness can? I once threw one 27 yards.

michael bishop could probably throw it further:rocker:

I am now convinced more than ever he can throw the ball 100 yards. last post on the subject.

From si.com

Listen to a 20-year-veteran AFC scout "I was at Russell's workout the other day, and he has a better arm than anyone in the NFL right now, hands down. Standing there watching him throw, I felt like I was watching Bob Gibson in his prime. What a fastball.

I am now convinced more than ever he can throw the ball 100 yards. last post on the subject.

From si.com

Listen to a 20-year-veteran AFC scout "I was at Russell's workout the other day, and he has a better arm than anyone in the NFL right now, hands down. Standing there watching him throw, I felt like I was watching Bob Gibson in his prime. What a fastball.

There are four kinds of lies...lies, damn lies, statistics, and NFL personnel men in the weeks leading up to the draft.

about as far as Byron Leftwich can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back