PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Revis Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go:
  • I still cannot see how this was a good news for the Jets. Yes, it gives Woody a lot praise from the NY media and fans, but this signing might actually be a hinderance for them to build a Super Bowl competitor.

Good thoughts, just a little quibble with the quoted bullet point. I don't think it will be that big of a hindrance. Their QB of the future will likely be from the draft and not free agency, so the most important position will have a low cap number (of which Revis eats up a bunch of). But until they find that QB, I do agree they are about a .500 club

So, you agree.
And you seem to think that the pats have always taken a step forward every year in the first few hrs of free agency. We have been seeing this team for 15 yrs. How many times have they wowed you in the first few hrs. of free agency ? And how many times have they put together a team in contention compared to the same first day winners . ?

And you seem to think that the pats have always taken a step forward every year in the first few hrs of free agency. We have been seeing this team for 15 yrs. How many times have they wowed you in the first few hrs. of free agency ? And how many times have they put together a team in contention compared to the same first day winners . ?

Usually the Patriots appear to stand "pat" and pick up some interesting piece along the road to the draft. I have never seen the Patriots cut so many pieces of the puzzle in one week, and I am not so sure that there are many players available in FA that will help them at least stand "pat"

Here you go:
  • No way to spin it. This loss hurts. Revis is a special player. He changed the way the Pats played defense. He was that good. The Pats are clearly not as good today as they were yesterday.
  • That said, the Pats are a favorite or the favorite to win the AFC. By the end of last year, it was pretty much the Pats and everyone else. Yes, the Ravens played the Pats tough in the Division Round, but they are not nearly as good and they are not the same team today as they were yesterday after losing 3 key players (Torrey Smith, Ngata, and Pernell McPhee).
  • Remember the Pats were one minute from winning the Super Bowl several years ago with McCourty and Arrington as their starting CBs and Ihedibgo and Chung as a starting safeties. Not exactly the best secondary in the league that year.
  • Until we freak out, we need to see what the Pats do to counter the losses. I think we will see them address this problem by improving the offense and the front seven. I think the Pats will adapt to what they have and what is available. I think the Pats may try to make their defense more of a pressure defense up front.
  • I still cannot see how this was a good news for the Jets. Yes, it gives Woody a lot praise from the NY media and fans, but this signing might actually be a hinderance for them to build a Super Bowl competitor.
  • I don't see Browner coming back. I agree with the sentiment that he is not needed without Revis. I don't think the Pats will be doing the press man as they did last year and Browner is not a zone player. He is only needed if the Pats are going to do press man.
  • The CBs I would be targeting right now are Chris Culliver, Rashean Mathis, and Tramont Williams. They clearly aren't Revis, but they would be upgrades and give some stability to the secondary.
  • I might be targeting Pot Roast right now. Great run blocker and disruptive with the pass rush. If Easley can step up in his second year, the Pats could create a lot of problems in the backfield with that d-line to make up for a lot of lost for Revis. If opposing QBs have to get rid of the ball quickly, then who your CB is isn't as important. Granted he needs to be more realistic about his value, but since no one is willing to pay it, the Pats might have a chance. He might put the Pats ahead of everyone else since he grew up a Pats' fan.
  • I don't think anyone won last night other than Revis. Obviously money is really important to him and he got it. The Pats were weakened and I think the Jets sacrificed building a Super Bowl contender for a shiny toy.
  • I appreciate everything Revis has done for this team. I knew there was a decent chance he was an one year rental. We got everything we wished for from him on that rental. I thank him for last year.

Good thoughts, Rob. Some comments:

- The Pats are clearly not as good today as they were yesterday. I agree that the move hurts the Pats in the short term. We're not as good a team today as we were 2 days ago. Whether we're as good a team in 4 months or 11 months remains to be seen. Long term, it's clear that to match a "pay as you go" deal to Revis would have crippled the team's ability to keep some of it's most valuable young assets. Not an option.

- I don't see Browner coming back. I agree that Browner isn't likely to be back. In retrospect, it seems like the Pats realized that they weren't going to keep Revis on Monday (if not earlier), at which point they decided that Browner didn't fit, and gave him permission to talk to other teams.

- Until we freak out, we need to see what the Pats do to counter the losses. I agree that the Pats' can't counter the loss of Revis (and presumably Browner) by replacing them, so they have to get better elsewhere. I'm not 100% sure how best to do that at the moment, but I think some of your ideas are reasonable options.

- I don't think anyone won last night other than Revis. Revis clearly worked the system. There are rumors that the Pats dropped out Monday, and his agent may have continued to drive up the Jets' price. I'm not sure why he's better off playing for the Jets than getting handsomely paid and chasing more SBs with the Pats, but he got what he wanted.

- I still cannot see how this was a good news for the Jets. It's very good in the short term. Aside from the publicity in media-driven NY and giving hope to a dejected fan base, it makes them more competitive for 2015. Especially if they also sign Antonio Cromartie, as rumored. They already have a very tough run defense; add a tough pass defense and they can get even more aggressive up front. Keep the score down, and you can stay in a lot of games, and win a share. Will they get closer to winning the SB? I doubt it. Will they get closer to re-establishing themselves as a legitimate franchise and not a laughing stock? Yes. The big question is how some of these deals will effect them down the road with guys like Wilkerson and Richardson.

It's worth noting - as you do - that the other team in the AFC that took the biggest short-term hit yesterday was the Ravens. So far they've lost/traded Haloti Ngata, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, and Pernell McPhee. Justin Forsett could also be gone, which would take away most of their offensive skill players. But they'll be competitive, just like the Pats, whereas most of the teams over-spending on FAs will still be on the outside looking in. The good teams are the ones that have discipline and don't overpay, especially for replaceable players. Revis doesn't fall into that category, but even so, there is a limit.

Nice post, Rob. I have two thoughts:

1) It surprises me how many are surprised that Revis would leave. He's about the money and always has been, which is perfectly respectable. I had limited loyalty to prior employers and would have left in a heartbeat if offered a guaranteed 30% raise to do the same job.

I saw a few people trying to claim that Darrelle wasn't quite as money grubbing as he was made out to be because he only held out once, but that seemed a little misleading to me. IIRC, there was another time when there was talk of discord that ended when the Jets ponied up a little more money. And of course you have the fact that he is now on his 4th team (counting NY twice) despite being perhaps the greatest to ever play his position.

2) CB just shot up to the top of the board as far a draft targets goes. I'll eat my shirt if NE doesn't either take one first or select two by the end of the 4th round.

Last edited:
Usually the Patriots appear to stand "pat" and pick up some interesting piece along the road to the draft. I have never seen the Patriots cut so many pieces of the puzzle in one week, and I am not so sure that there are many players available in FA that will help them at least stand "pat"

I don't understand this statement. Who did they cut?

- The Pats declined Revis' $20M option. It wasn't tenable.
- The Rats declined Browner's option, apparently AFTER they realized that they were going to lose Revis and realized that Browner's value to them would be significantly decreased.
- The Pats chose not to match hefty offers from the Giants to Shane Vereen and Jonathan Casillas.

Am I missing something?

That's just not true. There's always room to work the cap. This is particularly true if they hadn't signed McCourty.
To say the Pats couldn't give money upfront actually implies the Pats don't adle the cap well.

That isn't true. If the Jets structured it so the cap hits were big in front with a lot of the guaranteed being base salary, it is hard to match because the Jets have tons of cap room. The Pats could match the guarantees if they were more able to spread the guaranteed base salaries over 3-5 years than the first two, but they couldn't match when the guarantees would be paid out. Unfortunately, that isn't as attractive to Revis because he would have to wait longer to get his guaranteed money.

Nice post, Rob. I have two thoughts:

1) It surprises me how many are surprised that Revis would leave. He's about the money and always has been, which is perfectly respectable. I had limited loyalty to prior employers and would have left in a heartbeat if offered a guaranteed 30% raise to do the same job.

I saw a few people trying to claim that Darrelle wasn't quite as money grubbing as he was made out to be because he only held out once, but that seemed a little misleading to me. IIRC, there was another time when there was talk of discord that ended when the Jets ponied up a little more money. And of course you have the fact that he is now on his 4th team (counting NE twice) despite being perhaps the greatest to ever play his position.

2) CB just shot up to the top of the board as far a draft targets goes. I'll eat my shirt if NE doesn't either take one first or select two by the end of the 4th round.

I think many of us just bought into the belief that Revis really wanted to stay here and would take less to stay as the press were spreading. Obviously, this isn't the case. He went for the money at least between the Pats and Jets.

I think many of us just bought into the belief that Revis really wanted to stay here and would take less to stay as the press were spreading. Obviously, this isn't the case. He went for the money at least between the Pats and Jets.

obviously wishful thinking..........ego makes him want to be THE GUY........something he had to share with several others here.

it'll be fun watching whoever their QB is struggle and get thrown under the bus......I pray for them to get Ryan Fitzpatrick......which will only make things worse

I wonder if he will be invited to the ceremony when the players get their rings..........I know I would not invite him.........send it to him slow boat

but at least his teammates will be able to stare at it........

Everyone kept saying that. It reminded me of the Welker situation.

As long as you have brady and belichick *and gronk* you have a punchers chance.............but I believe we had better than just a punchers chance when we had revis.

and who coined the phrase "September Super Bowl Winner" ?

why your own cantankerous Unca Joe Kerr...:D

BTW, I rarely digress from the opinions of our regular board contract mavens but...am I reading the terms of the Revis contract right when I say that the first year is 16 million guaranteed PLUS the 5 million dead cap hit? That's 21 million paid out for one player in 2015...that's a 21 million dollar cap hit for one player. Am I wrong about this?

BTW, I rarely digress from the opinions of our regular board contract mavens but...am I reading the terms of the Revis contract right when I say that the first year is 16 million guaranteed PLUS the 5 million dead cap hit? That's 21 million paid out for one player in 2015...that's a 21 million dollar cap hit for one player. Am I wrong about this?

yeah, but I think it would have been a different deal if it were the pats even if the overall number was the same......fact is, the Jets had to write 39M worth of checks yesterday

Everyone misinterpreted Revis's tears at the end of the Super Bowl. He wasn't crying about finally winning a ring, he was crying in joy because he was thinking of the huge contract he would be able to negotiate in a month's time.

Some comments on the comments.

1. I think we ALL misjudged Revis' desire to get back to NYC and what REALLY drives him.

2. I don't just think its the money, but what it symbolizes. He woke up today the highest paid DB in the history of the league. THAT's important to him.

3. Today he woke up and he was the undisputed face his franchise and no one was a close second. In NE he'd be lucky to be 4th behind BB, Brady, and Gronk, with Dmac and Collins pressing him from behind. THAT's important to him.

4. While we all thought winning a ring would bind him even tighter to the Pats, the reality was getting the ring probably made it easier for him to leave NE with a big bucket list item checked off his life list.

5. Between all that and the most blatant tampering job in the history of the NFL, even if you discount the lip slip by the idiot owner. I wouldn't be surprised if Revis and/or his agents didn't know the parameters of the Jets offer a week or 2 ago.

6. The Pats probably never had a chance. Clearly he wanted to be in NYC, be the face of the frnachise, and be the highest paid DB in the league. That was MORE important to him than winning a 2nd or 3rd ring as a extremely well paid piece of the puzzle in the hinterlands of Massachusetts. Because he will never get close to a ring while he is with the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots