PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, now that preseason is over, time to focus in on the regular season. Here are some of my random predictions of what will happen in the regular season:

1.) The AFC East will shake out as follows: Pats 13-3, Bills 10-6 (Wild Card), Jets 8-8, Dolphins 7-9. I think the Pats will still chug along. The Bills have really been flying below the radar. With the return of all their injured players, they will make a playoff push. I am not as sold on the Jets additions as others. I think the Dolphins will be a surprise team this year. They won't make a playoff push, but they will sneak up on some teams.
2.) On that note, the Dolphins shock the NFL in week one and beat the Jets. That is my upset special of the week.
3.) The Jags win the AFC South. I don't think they have improved all that much, but the Colts are already decimated by injuries and the season hasn't even started. I don't expect Freeney or Harrison to be what they were before their injuries.
4.) Aaron Rodgers plays well enough for the Packers to make the playoffs saving Ted Thompson's arse. Favre doesn't have the miserable season he had in 2005, but he will disapoint the Jets fans by having an average season with a handful of costly turnovers.
5.) The teams that will be most disapointing will be the Seahawks, Steelers, and the Colts. The Giants aren't on this list because eventhough they will decline, the drop off won't be as much as people expect.
6.) The surprise teams will be the Saints, Bills, Cards (ok, they predict that every year), Dolphins, and Panthers. Not that all will make the playoffs, but far exceed expectations.
7.) Playoff teams (in seeding order):
AFC: Pats, Chargers, Jags, Browns, Bills, Colts

NFC: Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Cards, Panthers, Vikes

8.) Super Bowl: Pats defeat the Saints. Sue me. I am a homer.
9.) If the Cowboys lose two games in a row early in the season or three games in a row later, the team will implode on itself. Wade Phillips isn't the head coach you want when things go wrong especially with the personalities in the Cowboys' lockerroom and Jason Garrett looking over his shoulder.
10.) MVP: Drew Bress, OPOY: Brady, DPOY: Patrick Willis, OROY: Jonathan Stewart, DROY: Mayo

Ok, now that preseason is over, time to focus in on the regular season. Here are some of my random predictions of what will happen in the regular season:

1.) The AFC East will shake out as follows: Pats 13-3, Bills 10-6 (Wild Card), Jets 8-8, Dolphins 7-9. I think the Pats will still chug along. The Bills have really been flying below the radar. With the return of all their injured players, they will make a playoff push. I am not as sold on the Jets additions as others. I think the Dolphins will be a surprise team this year. They won't make a playoff push, but they will sneak up on some teams.
2.) On that note, the Dolphins shock the NFL in week one and beat the Jets. That is my upset special of the week.
3.) The Jags win the AFC South. I don't think they have improved all that much, but the Colts are already decimated by injuries and the season hasn't even started. I don't expect Freeney or Harrison to be what they were before their injuries.
4.) Aaron Rodgers plays well enough for the Packers to make the playoffs saving Ted Thompson's arse. Favre doesn't have the miserable season he had in 2005, but he will disapoint the Jets fans by having an average season with a handful of costly turnovers.
5.) The teams that will be most disapointing will be the Seahawks, Steelers, and the Colts. The Giants aren't on this list because eventhough they will decline, the drop off won't be as much as people expect.
6.) The surprise teams will be the Saints, Bills, Cards (ok, they predict that every year), Dolphins, and Panthers. Not that all will make the playoffs, but far exceed expectations.
7.) Playoff teams (in seeding order):
AFC: Pats, Chargers, Jags, Browns, Bills, Colts

NFC: Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Cards, Panthers, Vikes

8.) Super Bowl: Pats defeat the Saints. Sue me. I am a homer.
9.) If the Cowboys lose two games in a row early in the season or three games in a row later, the team will implode on itself. Wade Phillips isn't the head coach you want when things go wrong especially with the personalities in the Cowboys' lockerroom and Jason Garrett looking over his shoulder.
10.) MVP: Drew Bress, OPOY: Brady, DPOY: Patrick Willis, OROY: Jonathan Stewart, DROY: Mayo

I had the pats vs saints in the super bowl as well.. But there is this thing called Gustav, if its like Katrinia could put the Saints on the move again which would cause disruption

I had the pats vs saints in the super bowl as well.. But there is this thing called Gustav, if its like Katrinia could put the Saints on the move again which would cause disruption

That can play a factor, but I doubt Gustav will do nearly as much devistation as Katrina. I think memories of Katrina have people fearing the worst, but Gustav isn't as powerful as Katrina was (edit: I guess they upgraded it to a Category 3 so maybe it is). Also, I am sure that they will make every effort to make sure the leavie doesn't break. That was the reason N'Orleans was so devestated and it didn't actually break until after Katrina passed through the city catching everyone off guard.

Last edited:
That can play a factor, but I doubt Gustav will do nearly as much devistation as Katrina. I think memories of Katrina have people fearing the worst, but Gustav isn't as powerful as Katrina was (edit: I guess they upgraded it to a Category 3 so maybe it is). Also, I am sure that they will make every effort to make sure the leavie doesn't break. That was the reason N'Orleans was so devestated and it didn't actually break until after Katrina passed through the city catching everyone off guard.

Not trying to hijack the thread and hopefully the topic will excuse me...

The problem with Gustav is different than Katrina. By tracking west of New Orleans, the storm surge is set to hit the city. Hurricane damage is either the wind or the storm surge (think tsunami). It doesn't have to breach the levees as happened last time. If the storm surge goes over the levee walls, the city which is 14-15 feet below sea level will flood.
I spent two weeks in Mississippi after Katrina and saw firsthand the damage done by the storm surge which was about 30 feet high. It went several miles inland and flooded houses 2-3 feet high. Buildings along the coast were totally devastated by the surge.

http://www.mthurricane.com/Hurricane_Katrina.htm

-Relating the Saints, if the city is severely damaged and they end up with 16 road games, I think it will hinder their chances of making the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
I think Bill has chosen to bite the bullet this year. He has accepted that the record might not be 14-2, and chosen to begin the necessary turnover by perhaps falling to 11-5, while rebuilding.

There are a dozen or more of our great players to replace in the next couple of seasons. Harrsion, Bruschi, Vrabel, (Lynch and Seau too). And Neal, Falk, Hochstein, and maybe even Moss and Light will need replacement in the next three seasons, on Offense.

And He began the task, by not keeping any of the veterans that could help this season, and kept rookies and youngsters instead.

Tank Wlliams was a find, and will contribute next year, and could fill one of Lynch/Harrison's shoes as the big SS. Meriwether is settling in as a S, along with young Sanders. Presumably Mayo, Guyton and Alexander were kept for development over a Hobson, or a Seau. I expect another high draft for an ILB, but these guys, especially Guyton, will offer experienced depth by then. Woods and Crable seem like long term keepers; and if not starters will be very adequate reserves.

Bill still needs to draft a good backup NT, as the seventh DL. Perhaps another DB high and a LB high too.

Izzo kept his job, this last season of his contract, but Aiken will take it next season. Salter looks to keep some of the other returner candidates free of injury. Welker and Faulk, at PR, and Hobbs at KR, are too valuable to use there, full time.

Wheatley and Willhite will get experience now, instead of next year when they chose to let Peters and Bryant go.

On Offense they did not keep any of the experience OL veteran FAs. Bill will likely spend a high draft pick or two there over the next few seasons. Meanwhile the youngsters will get some experience as they muddle. Hopefully Yates can play better than he has with more experience, and Neal comes back ASAP.

His decision to stay with CJ and CJax helps prepare for the turnover rebuilding. Even the choice of Spach as a blocking third TE, is a youth movement of sorts. Lamont Jordon could be the next Faulk. Connolly is a PS guy who is developing as an interior OL, and they apparently intend to keep developing him. Drafting KO'C looks to be part of the rebuild strategy too.

Neal is 32 now, and it took a long time for him to become a very good player. So he will lead the positions for replacements in three or four seasons on the Offensive line.

Part of building a Team, is to recognize that you must anticipate large turnovers when a big group of players age at the same time. You must plan for it, over a couple of seasons. Otherwise a crash to 4-12 will eventually happen, to end a dynastic run. Bill is spreading out the turnover and starting.

Last edited:
I think Bill has chosen to bite the bullet this year. He has accepted that the record might not be 14-2, and chosen to begin the necessary turnover by perhaps falling to 11-5, while rebuilding.

There are a dozen or more of our great players to replace in the next couple of seasons. Harrsion, Bruschi, Vrabel, (Lynch and Seau too). And Neal, Falk, Hochstein, and maybe even Moss and Light will need replacement in the next three seasons, on Offense.

And He began the task, by not keeping any of the veterans that could help this season, and kept rookies and youngsters instead.

Tank Wlliams was a find, and will contribute next year, and could fill one of Lynch/Harrison's shoes as the big SS. Meriwether is settling in as a S, along with young Sanders. Presumably Mayo, Guyton and Alexander were kept for development over a Hobson, or a Seau. I expect another high draft for an ILB, but these guys, especially Guyton, will offer experienced depth by then. Woods and Crable seem like long term keepers; and if not starters will be very adequate reserves.

Bill still needs to draft a good backup NT, as the seventh DL. Perhaps another DB high and a LB high too.

Izzo kept his job, this last season of his contract, but Aiken will take it next season. Salter looks to keep some of the other returner candidates free of injury. Welker and Faulk, at PR, and Hobbs at KR, are too valuable to use there, full time.

Wheatley and Willhite will get experience now, instead of next year when they chose to let Peters and Bryant go.

On Offense they did not keep any of the experience OL veteran FAs. Bill will likely spend a high draft pick or two there over the next few seasons. Meanwhile the youngsters will get some experience as they muddle. Hopefully Yates can play better than he has with more experience, and Neal comes back ASAP.

His decision to stay with CJ and CJax helps prepare for the turnover rebuilding. Even the choice of Spach as a blocking third TE, is a youth movement of sorts. Lamont Jordon could be the next Faulk. Connolly is a PS guy who is developing as an interior OL, and they apparently intend to keep developing him. Drafting KO'C looks to be part of the rebuild strategy too.

Neal is 32 now, and it took a long time for him to become a very good player. So he will lead the positions for replacements in three or four seasons on the Offensive line.

Part of building a Team, is to recognize that you must anticipate large turnovers when a big group of players age at the same time. You must plan for it, over a couple of seasons. Otherwise a crash to 4-12 will eventually happen, to end a dynastic run. Bill is spreading out the turnover and starting.

Well said, and I agree, the schedule seems to allow the rookies to develop.

I don't buy that. Belichick has never "tanked" a season to rebuild for the future. I still think he expects to get 12 plus wins and contend for the Super Bowl. Belichick likes to restock, not rebuild. He will fill in certain areas that needs a shot of youth, but keep the overall core in tact so those areas will not become liabilities.

I see this year being very similiar to 2003. The Pats had a lot of rookies contribute quite a bit right away including Wilson starting at safety, Samuel playing nickel, Warren rotating in at DE, Koppen starting at C, Klecko playing FB, and Bethel Johnson returning kicks. But even then, the Pats had arguably the best defense in their history and went 14-2 and won to the Super Bowl.

Some good guesses there. I'd be a little surprised by a saints SB (loss) but not shocked.

I think rebuilding (or retooling) the D right now is brilliant. We still have a record scoring offense. They can help the D not have to win the games. That's huge.

I think every chance they get to run up the score and let the D get polished up they will.

Sorry but the Buffalo Bills are not making the playoffs this year. Everyone is saying they will be the surprise team but it never happens. They have a rookie quarterback and a rookie wide receiver and no left tackle to help protect the quarterbacks blind side.

General Prediction: As of now, this defense doesn't look to be the "defense that wins championships" and may well need the offense to be performing at a high level - though expect a more balanced offense that in fact, can better ensure that WRs are more open for the big plays when they need it.

Brady's health will be a key factor in allowing the offense to make up for any defensive deficiencies. Expect a "Bend but don't Break" approach to Defense in general.

All of this will lead to a scenario in which the Patriots appear to be human throughout the regular season, but with any luck will find themselves back to full health by the playoffs, and regain their dominance which may be necessary with the possibility they do not have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

As expected they'll remain the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

I haven't studied the rest of the league as in year's past, because I plan to take a gambling sabbatical this season. However, I have to disagree with ARCHIVES about the Cowboys.

I don't think Philips is the man to handle that roster. In 6 weeks the inmates will be running the asylum, if they aren't already.

My money [if I were gambling] would be on Seattle coming out of the NFC.

I also think SD is not as good as people believe. They should have won the SB already. Rivers is going to have some issues with the knee. They always do. Gates is not 100%. Merriman is hurt. J. Williams is not as good as he used to be. Norv has another year to work his magic.

My surprise teams are Buffalo and Houston. Buffalo is a solid playoff caliber team with a very competent Head coach in jauron. If BB ever departed, I would definitely interview Jauron for the job. He's a local guy too.

Houston's fate depends on their rookie LT, I think from VaTech. If he can keep Schaub upright, and reports are good, that team can compete. Slaton looks solid, The WR corps is good, the D-line is good, the LBs are decent. secondary has some issues obviosuly. I like them sneaking ahead of the fat and happy Jaguars.

It will be between the Jets, Houston and Tennessee for the 2nd wild card spot behind Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back