PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Observations on Norv Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Yeah-the Chargers won, and they looked good yesterday, BUT...

1. The Chargers' vaunted front 7 got VERY little pressure on Rex-yeah, they got a few sacks, but Rex had all day to throw for the most part, and this is against the oldest OL in football. IF Berrian hadn't run that bad route at the end of the half, it would have been 10-0. And on top of that, if it weren't for 2 bone-headed fumbles by their RBs, this game would have been a blowout Bears. Anyhow-from what I saw with the defensive schemes, the playcalling from Cottrell was FAR different from Phillips' last year, and Norv did nothing.

2. As a HC, Norv would consistently FAIL to find mismatches et al on O-he did it alot in Washington, he UNDER-utilized Randy Moss late in games in Oakland, and I noticed he did alot of that yesterday. Adam Archeleda(sp) sucks in coverage, but he was paired with Antonio Gates ALOT-however, I was shocked to see how few times Norv tried to exploit this. There were other times where they looked flat on O not nec b/c of the Chicago D, but his failure to make in-game adjustments et al.(i.e. when Chicago putting that 8th man in the box, didn't have play action passes et al)

The pt being here is that Norv's inability to be a good HC who makes good in-game management decisions et al is only going to weigh this team down.

Adam Archeleda(sp) sucks in coverage, but he was paired with Antonio Gates ALOT-however, I was shocked to see how few times Norv tried to exploit this.

Norv is awful HC, I'm not disputing that but this is a crazy observation. Gates had 9 catches yesterday, only Ronald Curry had more in the entire NFL. He had 107 yards a TD. The Chargers clearly exploited that matchup.

Yeah-the Chargers won, and they looked good yesterday, BUT...

1. The Chargers' vaunted front 7 got VERY little pressure on Rex-yeah, they got a few sacks, but Rex had all day to throw for the most part, and this is against the oldest OL in football. IF Berrian hadn't run that bad route at the end of the half, it would have been 10-0. And on top of that, if it weren't for 2 bone-headed fumbles by their RBs, this game would have been a blowout Bears. Anyhow-from what I saw with the defensive schemes, the playcalling from Cottrell was FAR different from Phillips' last year, and Norv did nothing.

Get a clue and try watching a game without being such a blind homer.

From various Chicago sources...

Offensive line
F The Chargers' defensive line, especially nose tackle Jamal Williams, kept re-establishing the line of scrimmage in the Bears' backfield.

Offensive line: D

It was harder for Bears ballcarriers to find real estate than it is to find cheap real estate in the San Diego area -- and that's difficult. Grossman knew what kind of protection he was going to have on his second play -- when he took a vicious sack from Shaun Phillips, who looked like he hadn't even been touched.

Offensive line - 2 footballs (out of 5)
Benson had no holes, and Grossman was sacked three times (although twice came from far outside). Is this unit too old?

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/596785.aspx

Offensive line
F The Chargers' defensive line, especially nose tackle Jamal Williams, kept re-establishing the line of scrimmage in the Bears' backfield.

It was harder for Bears ballcarriers to find real estate than it is to find cheap real estate in the San Diego area -- and that's difficult. Grossman knew what kind of protection he was going to have on his second play -- when he took a vicious sack from Shaun Phillips, who looked like he hadn't even been touched.

Benson had no holes, and Grossman was sacked three times (although twice came from far outside). Is this unit too old?

3 sacks of a sucky QB by the supposed best DL in the league is hardly a braggable point

gfy

Offensive line

^^^^^ LOL. Way to close down this thread!

The two key points made by DisgruntedtTunaFan have been destroyed within minutes. Gates caught 9 balls and even the Bears fans say the Chargers front 7 dominated the Bears offensive line. Nice try at disparaging the Chargers though. Next...

Last edited:
3 sacks of a sucky QB by the supposed best DL in the league is hardly a braggable point

gfy

Getting pressure is more about hurries than sacks, but considering the Bears O line only allowed 25 sacks (1.56 a game) the entire season last year getting 3 sacks against them is a fine game.

Saying the Chargers got very little pressure on Grossman is FACTUALLY completely wrong. You would think Patriots fans would have enough confidence in their own team that they wouldn't have to completely fabricate weaknesses in their opposition.

Getting pressure is more about hurries than sacks, but considering the Bears O line only allowed 25 sacks (1.56 a game) the entire season last year getting 3 sacks against them is a fine game.

Saying the Chargers got very little pressure on Grossman is FACTUALLY completely wrong. You would think Patriots fans would have enough confidence in their own team that they wouldn't have to completely fabricate weaknesses in their opposition.

good to know that

a) this year is last year

b) your opinion is fact

nobody is fabricating any weakness in the Chargers--they are a talented team of individuals that has been suckered into believing that they are the heir apparent

and Norv Turner still sucks

unless of course, you've got Aikman and Irvin stashed away somewhere and Jimmy Johnson is calling the shots

powder blue sallies from SoCal

Last edited:
^^^^^ LOL. Way to close down this thread!

The two key points made by DisgruntedtTunaFan have been destroyed within minutes. Gates caught 9 balls and even the Bears fans say the Chargers front 7 dominated the Bears offensive line. Nice try at disparaging the Chargers though. Next...

LOL LOL LOL

glad to know that we are hosting the valley girl contingent here at patsfans.com

you can't possibly tell me that:

--your game against Chicago at home compares favorably to what NEP did on the road

--rex grossman is a better QB than Chad Pennington

--Norv Turner is a better head coach than even Marty Schnitzengiggle

--you feel confident about this game

Roll out the Jets trolls...

Bring in the Charger trolls....

The Bears have a very good defense - a D that was only .3yds/game better than the Pats in total yards and nine tenths of point worse than the Pats in points allowed/game for all of 2006. Oh yeah, the Pats gave up a half yard less in rushing per game too. Surprised? I bet most will never guess w/o looking it up which team had far and away the best rushing D in 2006 - answer below.

SD struggled mightily at home to score against the Bears (4 turnovers) and got both TD's off Bears turnovers, one TD drive was only 29yds. The Bolts had only a 63yd advantage over Chicago yet held the ball for 14 minutes more. the score was a bit skewed as the bears recorded a fumble when the Bolts were on the two yard line - Harris was clearly offside and it was his move that knocked the ball loose.

If SD comes in as scatteredbrained and unconvincing as they looked against Chicago they will get ripped by the Pats - that's cool with me.

answer - Vikings. 61.6yds/game - more than 14yds/game better than Baltimore at 75.9.

I'll be the first to say here that after watching tonight's game that Billick is ding dong number two only to Turner.

What exactly does any of this have to do with what has been posted earlier in this thread?

It's called trying to change the topic because the whole basis for this thread was fabrications.

Last edited:
It's called trying to change the topic because the whole basis for this thread was fabrications.

No here's the basis of the thread:Norvie's regular season record. It sucks. And we here at PatsFans have no reason to believe that he won't continue to suck, or that he will some how overcome completely F*CKING UP a good thing.

That's not really an observation. Thats a statistic. Kind of like Bill Belichick's win loss record with the Browns was 36-44.

Is that when he decided to start cheating? :D

Most likely

I believe LT said it best:

I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, ‘If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying,They live off that statement. Nothing surprises me really.

“You keep hearing the different stories about stuff that they do.”

What is more likely is that the whiney little biotches of the league are so tired of getting beat by the Pats, that they've come up with their little cheater drivel. Taping the Jets, the Lions, the Packers, and the Bills? Not the Broncos, the Colts, or the Chargers?

One lost little coach, who once AGAIN got pounded by his former boss, cries wolf, and all of a sudden, all the losers in the league are calling them cheaters. :bricks:
At least we won't see you twits ever again after next Sunday.

Last edited:
Ya man just like Merriman tested positive because of a tainted supplement and Harrison only used HGH "to recover from injury". You can believe your homer fantasies and I'll believe mine.

You put "to recover from injury" in quotes, like he wasn't actually hurt the past two season. Didn't we get Harrison from the Chargers?

Last edited:
Yep hes performance was fading and he got cut. The next year he signed with the Patriots and his PERFORMANCE ENHANCED. Pretty strange for a player in his 30s. I wonder what happened?

He got a team that didn't suck.
Question answered.

Yep hes performance was fading and he got cut. The next year he signed with the Patriots and his PERFORMANCE ENHANCED. Pretty strange for a player in his 30s. I wonder what happened?
Wrong Harrison had a severly torn groin muscle in 2002,and the bolts didn't think he'ed be able to recover enough to be his old self.He was getting older and they thought that they could replace him cheap with a younger player. When Harrison talks about hgh I take it hes refering to his horrific knee injury in 05,thats the time frame that the feds gave for when he bought the hgh.

Last edited:
Ya man just like Merriman tested positive because of a tainted supplement and Harrison only used HGH "to recover from injury". You can believe your homer fantasies and I'll believe mine.
Fine if u do...Merriman is typical using the dog ate my homework dance..NO responsibility...at least Harrison told the truth when he EASILY could have made excuses..., he didn't

Last edited:
Pretty good theory. Just remember to attach it to your list of other blind homer fantasies that you guys have:

1. It wasn't a fumble
2. Brady is better than Manning
3. Harrison is a real class act admitting that he used HGH purely to recover from devastating injury of course
4 The Patriot Way mantra
5. Belichick doesn't cheat by intercepting coaching signals its just a huge conspiracy

1. It wasn't. It was a incomplete forward pass, on a call that had been called against them last year. But the funny thing is that the refs missed the roughing the passer call on the rusher for the blow to the head. Only Faider Fans still blindly throw that out anymore. And here I thought you Fizzle fans were better than this.

2.Brady out-preformed Manning this week, after having REAL wide receivers for the first time in his life. Scary!

3. Merriman is a real class act for blaming tainted supplements when he got caught taking roids.

4. Patriots way=3 Super Bowls. Fizzles way=no play-off victory in a decade.

5. Charger fans and their players aren't really whiney little girls who can't get over the fact that they lost a game in January...AGAIN!

Last edited:
Of course you do and its cute that you actually take him at his word.

DO you mean to tell me that Harrison was going to stop taking HGH if he noticed an improvement in his play beyond his last season healthy even though the NFL still has no test whatsoever to test for it?
And it's cute that you still hang on LT's "classy" jock.
Do you mean to tell me that had Merriman figured out he was on tainted supplements before the league did, he would have switched? I mean, he figured out his protein shake was banned pretty quick after getting caught.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey