PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Helmet

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
1. I keep hearing the Pats need help on the offensive line...why? Because Mankins isn't working out? Frankly, with the addition of the Giant German, and Neal locked in for a couple more years, and confident Mankins will play this year, I feel pretty comfortable about NOT calling this an area of concern in 2010.
2. Lets face it. UNLESS he was injured, which is very possible (we all heard about the back issues), the odds of Moss improving over his performance of last year are slim. Rarely do you see someone take 4 steps forward after taking a couple backwards, especially on the same team...sometimes they are re-energized moving to a new squad, but this isn't the case. You might counter with a contract year argument...but is he really going to get a blockbuster deal at 34? More likely, Moss will take another step back due to age. Welker may never be the same, and we won't have him to start the year. So, reality check: A fading Moss, a converted QB, a injury laden rookie, and a NFL career special teamer round out the WR corps...Brady deserves better.
3. Don't hate...I was hoping for an upgrade over an aging Faulk...Leon Washington or Brian Westbrook come to mind.
4. If Maroney is the man, I would love to see the Pats pick up a 240+lb between the tackles running back to compliment him. I am tired of the patchwork, band aid setup we have back there. Commit or move on.
5. Do we have a play maker on offense other than, possibly Moss?
6. I think we will be fine on Defense.

1. I keep hearing the Pats need help on the offensive line...why? Because Mankins isn't working out? Frankly, with the addition of the Giant German, and Neal locked in for a couple more years, and confident Mankins will play this year, I feel pretty comfortable about NOT calling this an area of concern in 2010.
2. Lets face it. UNLESS he was injured, which is very possible (we all heard about the back issues), the odds of Moss improving over his performance of last year are slim. Rarely do you see someone take 4 steps forward after taking a couple backwards, especially on the same team...sometimes they are re-energized moving to a new squad, but this isn't the case. You might counter with a contract year argument...but is he really going to get a blockbuster deal at 34? More likely, Moss will take another step back due to age. Welker may never be the same, and we won't have him to start the year. So, reality check: A fading Moss, a converted QB, a injury laden rookie, and a NFL career special teamer round out the WR corps...Brady deserves better.
3. Don't hate...I was hoping for an upgrade over an aging Faulk...Leon Washington or Brian Westbrook come to mind.
4. If Maroney is the man, I would love to see the Pats pick up a 240+lb between the tackles running back to compliment him. I am tired of the patchwork, band aid setup we have back there. Commit or move on.

1. Mostly agree. I would like to get a quality center/guard draft pick to groom.
2. Mostly agree. We definitely need to upgrade at the WR spot. Talent is urgently needed.
3. I hate you, Blasphemer!
4. Agree bigtime. Draft a bruiser!
5. Was that a rhetorical question?
6. Huh? Besides needing a DE and a real OLB and another ILB we are OK. The secondary looks solid, but it can definitely benefit from an infusion of young talent up front!!!!!

Good post. My thoughts...

I think it's age and lack of production in some areas. Light is in the last year of his deal w/ Vollmer waiting in the wings. Maybe Vollmer moves to RT and Kazur moves inside or provides depth at RT and LT. Neal is a year older with some prospects behind him but are unproven. Mankins is solid and if he is asking for crazy money, he may walk. Koppen's play has seemed to slip a little but should be serviceable. I guess I see a need to draft and groom a RT and maybe a G if BB sees Neal, the prospects or Mankins not with the team long term. Production-wise, the unit is fine. Could be a little more physical in the run game but that may be a little pit-picky...

2. Lets face it. UNLESS he was injured, which is very possible (we all heard about the back issues), the odds of Moss improving over his performance of last year are slim. Rarely do you see someone take 4 steps forward after taking a couple backwards, especially on the same team...sometimes they are re-energized moving to a new squad, but this isn't the case. You might counter with a contract year argument...but is he really going to get a blockbuster deal at 34? More likely, Moss will take another step back due to age.

Very possible. If he has another year like last year that would be fine. Because of his age, no question the Pats will be cautious with any deal they may offer him.

Welker may never be the same, and we won't have him to start the year. So, reality check: A fading Moss, a converted QB, a injury laden rookie, and a NFL career special teamer round out the WR corps...Brady deserves better.

Agreed. Brady needs two more reliable targets IMO. Not just a #2 WR. If the team does not add a receiving threat at TE, I thought running Reed and Edelman out of the slot and another flanker opposite Moss would really help this offense.

Leon is a risk and expensive. Westbrook would be an upgrade, but there is a high-level of comfort with Faulk.

Agree 100%. I want the kid from GT. He didn't run well at the combine but has been productive and knows the NFL passing offense.

Maroney? Faulk?

I don't. Need a DT to replace Sey, a ILB to emerge as a run stuffer and 1-2 OLBs who can play 3 downs. I think the secondary will be fine.

1)Last year any team play 3-4 got inside presure due the RG and bummed ankle Koppan. Unless you are confident that we have a backup for G/C how can you feel comfortable. The backup were bad enough that koppan play injured.

2)Plan Improve Faulk
a)Leon the guy cannot run now due to broken foot and is not a receiver faulk is but the most important stuff he is never in against blitzing defence as he is too small and does not pick up a blitzing LB .
b)West brook has had a few concussion and had trouble being healthy.he is not a blocker Faulk is.

so RB who are not healthy, not good against blitz are your plan of improvement?.

3)240 LB RB are going to be slow as hell and will never last and the physical RB do not last a full season.Foot injures are the major issue for big backs unless they play part time.we already have injured RB.

I don't think this is a pressing need but we have guys in Light, Neal, and Koppen on the back 9. I still have confidence in them but drafting replacements sooner rather than later would make some sense. Not a must fill but certainly if the right guy is there grab him.

As you noted Moss was injured so you are saying there is a good chance Moss will be better this year....He had a back problem and I believe he also had a shoulder injury too.

Tate will be a sophmore not a rookie....symantics I know but he did get some practice time last year and a few game reps.

We all have huge promise for the converted QB so thats a positive not a negative.

Brady has proven he can get it done with less so not sure why this can't be enough not to mention there is still time to add more.

We need to replace Faulk soon but Westbrook tires are more bare than Faulks and Leon comes with a big price tag for a RB who just had a serious leg injury.

I don't think Maroney is the man.
I would like a bruising between the tackles type anyway because with Brady this type does more for the offense its why Morris has been better the last few years than Maroney. If Morris could stay healthy I wouldn't feel this is a need.

Brady

This team has been built more on Chain movers than big play makers thru the years
Guys like Faulk, Brown, Givens, Branch (kind of both a play maker and chain mover), Even the RBs that have been good were more of the 3 yards and a cloud of dust type (Corey and antoine) than the explosive take it to the house types

We definitely need some help at OLB and RDE (to a lesser extent) But I think this D will be OK even if nothing happened and great if we can solve the OLB issue.

I think the Offense will be OK and Great if our WRs can be healthy
Moss, Welker, Tate, and Edelman were all hurt at times last year and hopefully they give us more this year. Even assuming Wes is out for he first 8 games I still think this isnt to far fetched which is why I don't think WR is as big a need as some. We need a 5th option for depth reasons and maybe Patten can fill that role though I would perfer we bring in someone else to hendge that bet doesn't need to be a huge investment though.

yes.....they are random

1 - neal for a couple of more years? who is going to play the otehr half the time neal is hurt? mankins will be here for at least one more year......although the way the pats are handling it, they could guarantee themselves out of the running for his services beyond that......he's a west coast boy, and I doubt at this point he considers the pats much more than a paycheck...the future needs to be considered with this group

2 - obviously
3 - as of right now, the pats don't have an RB beyond the 2010 season.....and the ones that they have are largely old and injury prone.....this group needs help

4 - no reason to commit......if the pats get similar productivity out of maroney for 2010 as they did for 2009, he is worth keeping......BUT the pats need to replace either taylor or morris if not both of them with someone who will be around in 2011 to pick up the load when maroney is finally gone

5 - no

6 - not with the LB the pats have, they won't

Let's see, we generally draft rookies so that we will meet future needs, with the hope that one or two will be major contributers in the current year. This year's primary need is at OLB, or are you fine with Woods, Banta-Cain, Ninklovich and Crable as the OLB rotation.

LIGHT is in his contract year with Vollmer as his replacement in 2011.
MANKINS has been tendered for 2010 with no 2011 replacement.
KOPPEN has another year, his backup is Connolly. Some would welcome an upgrade.
NEAL is good for half a season each year. Many are surprised that he is still here.
(It is a sad commentary that he may be our best OL at the moment.
KACZUR is our 2011 RT if Vollmer is moving over to LT.
Maybe you are counting on Connolly, Bussey, Ohrnberger, LeVoir and Wendell.
==================================

The botton line is that best option is probably to sign a long-term deal with both Mankins and Light. I'm sure that will be popular here! IN ANY CASE, we need a fourth interior lineman in case of injury this year and as a 2011 starter. Or are you counting on Mankins AND Koppen AND Neal to start and not be injured for the next TWO years.

I agree, I thought the OL played pretty well last season even with all the injuries. Vollmer will be even better this season with a year already under his belt.

I think Moss will have a better season than he did last year. Most guys often have great seasons when they are playing in their last year of their contract. Moss is proving to the Pats and the league that he can still play and does deserve a long term deal. I think the separated shoulder really had an effect on his play and if he stays healthy this year he could have a really outstanding season. I would expect Welker to be back mid season and when you have Moss and Welker you have one of the best 1-2 WR combos in the league. All they need is a quality 3rd WR and Brady is all set.

Next year will be the year to address the running back situation. Morris, Maroney, Taylor and BJGE contracts will all be up then.

I thought Maroney actually ran very well for a stretch last season. He was hitting the holes much harder than before and was running very well. He did have the fumbling issue which limited his playing time. If he is the feature back he will be much better off because he will be seeing more carries so he will be able to get into more of a rhythm, thus increasing his productivity,

Brady, Welker...not really a concern for me. Our guys can get the job done. Look at the 07 team did they have any play makers on offensive besides Brady, Moss and Welker?

To an extent yes. The defense played very well last season and exceeded expectations for being such a young and inexperienced group. I think having a year under their belt will make them even better. They do need Mayo and Wilfork to step up and be more of leaders and they do need to address the pass rush situation

I'd like to see the Pats use one of their first four picks on the OL. Neal is great when he's healthy, but when he's out with an injury or playing injured the quality of play from the line drops dramatically. It's no longer realistic to expect him to be at 100% for the next 32 games.

Drafting for the offensive line is for depth now (players on the line get injured; what would the line have looked like last year if Vollmer wasn't drafted?) but mostly for one or two years down the road. You need to balance this year's needs with a 3-year plan when adding to the roster. Light and Kaczur will need to be upgraded sometime in the near future, and Koppen sometimes struggles against bigger DL.

Better to move somebody a year early than a year late. I'd like to see an offensive lineman taken somewhere in the first two rounds this year, and another somewhere in the first two rounds next year as well.
Moss was injured last year, I didn't think there was any question about that. But regardless, yes, WR is definitely an area of need. The thing is the pass rush is an even bigger area of need.
Yes, at some point a replacement for Faulk needs to be found, but the things he does that don't show up on a stat sheet (picking up a blitz) make him a better fit than those two. There are more pressing needs than this right now; it can be addressed late in the draft or next year.
Again, more pressing needs right now. Yes they need a young RB, but it won't be the end of the world if they wait till next season to add a couple RB's.
No. But do you really want to use a first round pick on a WR?
As of this moment they're a long ways from being fine on defense. I'm hoping McKenzie will step up this year, but DE and OLB are major issues right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back