PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree a bit. They did rotate Morris and Maroney in there at the end of the game and neither had the success of Jordan.

In LoMo's defense at least, the one run he had at the end of the game, the Jets played run all the way and there was an NYJ on Maroney by the time he had the ball.

Actually what concerned me more is when CBS put up the package of plays showing him going up against Revis during the game, he didn't seem to sell his routes or give a full effort on every play. It is tough to tell if he had fallen back into his old ways of not giving an effort when the ball isn't going his way since the Pats threw a lot of short passes and he could have let up after the ball was thrown. But on its face, I saw that as a worrisome sign.

I know what you guys are saying and I'm not trying to dismiss or minimize your observations, but we discussed these same things early last season. He doesn't go full speed on every play. He is out there sometimes for 60+ snaps and is expected to be able to run a deep route at a moments notice. Also, he is a long strider so even when he is going full speed it can look like he is dogging it.

As for the bench shot, you could find the same shot of Marvin Harrison every single game for the last decade. Last I checked nobody has accused him of being a bad teammate (Belgian weapons aside).

Moss isn't going to be as demonstrative and emotional this year since his production (and the offense in general) won't warrant it. I'm looking for his locker room demeanor and comments to give clues to his state of mind. He really doesn't have a filter between his brain and mouth so it should be easy. On that front, so far so good.

I know what you guys are saying and I'm not trying to dismiss or minimize your observations, but we discussed these same things early last season. He doesn't go full speed on every play. He is out there sometimes for 60+ snaps and is expected to be able to run a deep route at a moments notice. Also, he is a long strider so even when he is going full speed it can look like he is dogging it.

As for the bench shot, you could find the same shot of Marvin Harrison every single game for the last decade. Last I checked nobody has accused him of being a bad teammate (Belgian weapons aside).

Moss isn't going to be as demonstrative and emotional this year since his production (and the offense in general) won't warrant it. I'm looking for his locker room demeanor and comments to give clues to his state of mind. He really doesn't have a filter between his brain and mouth so it should be easy. On that front, so far so good.

We weren't talking deep patterns here. I am talking plays that looked to 5-10 routes. Personally, I think if he isn't selling these route, he is dogging it. It is excuse making to explain otherwise. I am saying without seeing the entire play though, you can't tell if he actually not selling the route or we are seeing him after the ball was thrown.

As it being an optical illusion about him giving up on the run because of his stride, it clearly isn't the case since his first few steps are a quick burst and then he slows up and dropps his arms to his side on several of the runs.

I think Randy's demeanor and words after the game say a lot more than what he did physically after the ball was thrown to the opposite side of the field.

The guy drew double-coverage for almost the entire game. I think he's smart enough to realize that if he does that and we win, something went right.

Besides, even though Cassel slightly underthrew him on that deep option, at least 50% of the blame lies with Randy for not corralling the pass after it hit him in the numbers. And he probably knows it.

One more thought, for those of you who love to trash McDaniels, try being a Jets or Vikings fan today. People who trash McDaniels sometimes don't realize what our play calling could be.

...Word...

We weren't talking deep patterns here. I am talking plays that looked to 5-10 routes. Personally, I think if he isn't selling these route, he is dogging it. It is excuse making to explain otherwise. I am saying without seeing the entire play though, you can't tell if he actually not selling the route or we are seeing him after the ball was thrown.

As it being an optical illusion about him giving up on the run because of his stride, it clearly isn't the case since his first few steps are a quick burst and then he slows up and dropps his arms to his side on several of the runs.

Simply put, he can't run full speed on every play. Unlike a number of receivers in the NFL, Randy tends to play the majority of the snaps, and sometimes plays every offensive snap, which is impressive.

Remember, he runs a number of deep routes, and a number of routes as a decoy. He doesn't always have to run at full speed as the decoy, especially after the first 5-7 yards, as the pass might have already been thrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back