Welcome to PatsFans.com

Random Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by DocE, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocE

DocE Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

With a little less than 2 weeks to the draft, I feel like the Patriots will take a CB in round one. I didn't consider CB a strong possibility at either 23 or 34, but with Jenkins, and Davis visiting Foxboro and BB attending UConn's Pro Day, I have changed my mind. I don't think any of the 3 will be available at no. 34 and the drop off after those 3 CB's significant in my mind. I am not sold on any of the 3 CB's as an elite player, though Jenkins as a Safety does interest me. Butler going an entire season without an INT and Davis' character concerns are red flags for me.

On the flipside, I don't see any indication that the Patriots are seriously considering an OT with one of their first two picks. Obviously, it could be a smokescreen, but we have probably heard about fewer Tackles that the team has worked out than Quarterbacks. This is slightly disappointing to me as Tackle has become a very difficult position to fill and teams are willing to overpay to get one. It would be a lot less painful to take one this year than it would be in a year with only 2 day one picks, especially if we had to trade up to get one.

I listened to a very interesting Patriots Podcast that talked extensively about Pat White. The hosts made the point that BB has been infatuated with the multi-dimensional players in the league and has spent a ton of time at the University of Florida talking with Urban Meyer. BB talks a lot about the single wing and wildcat formations and the hosts think he wants to implement some of that in New England. The hosts speculated that BB has taken the extra time in the offseason to explore these formations and now is looking for his guy to run them (which would be White in theory). The hosts also speculated that White was coming to New England to re-check his hands, to make sure he didn't just have a good day catching the ball when New England worked him out previously. I am usually not swayed by others arguments for a player, but I did find their line of thinking interesting on White. I still feel like any play that takes Brady out of the QB position is a win for the defense, but the extra practice time that a Wildcat formation would require of an opponent would be a positive. I also think that a large part of the reason Brown was effective in the Wildcat was his ability to break tackles and I am not sure a sub 200lb White would be as effective running out of what is essentially a power formation with no FB.

As we get closer to the draft, I become less and less interested in the likely OLB candidates: English, Mathews, Barwin, etc. I think this defense badly needs a pass rusher, but I am becoming increasingly discouraged that any of the above could fill that role in year one. I am also concerned that English, Mathews, and even Everette Brown (who I do like) would change the complexion of the defense long term. How long has the Patriot defense been described as "big and physical"? If we drafted any of the above 3 we could start a linebacker quartet that features nobody over 6'3. On the roster right now we have Crable, Woods, Redd, and Craig who are all listed at 6'5 or taller. I think the Pats want at least one LB with that kind of height on the field. We already went shorter and smaller than normal with our ILB's in Bruschi and Mayo, and I'd like to stay one of the bigger more physical defenses in the league. That said, I certainly would sacrifice that size for a pass rushing demon who could contribute in that role in 2009.

As a general comment, I am bracing for disappointment with the draft and I suggest most of my fellow draft enthusiasts do the same. It looks so pretty when you fill out a mock draft with 4 day one picks and 6 in the first three rounds. You can fill your needs on defense, add a playmaker and ol depth on offense, and maybe take a shot on a guy with measurables that are off the charts. The reality will probably be that the Patriots trade up at least once for a guy most of us think "would have been there anyways" and probably trade away a pick for something in 2010 (which I'd probably be happy about).

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Sounds like a bad case of draft anxiety - didn't Mel Brooks make a movie about this?

It's true, Dante doesn't appear to have been checking out too many high ranked Tackles...

Sounds like a Beatles movie.

You're sure you wouldn't prefer a nice Punter?

At least you end on a positive note.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I suggest it too, it great to have favorites but it's rare we actually get them drafted past the mid point of the first round (Wilfork is a clear exception).

I agree on the CB, Butler is still my projected pick. Bodden and Hobbs are still FA after this year (not sure about the uncapped year exceptions, it's too tricky for me) and Springs is old and could move inside more. Which leaves Wheatley and Wilhite. I remember someone (Lombardi, maybe) saying that the top CB are really weak this year but it seems like a reasonable year to me. As someone who didn't see UConn play this year, I can only assume Butler's lack of INT came from a lack of chances as he had 10 in his career before this year.

Pat White would run the wildcat differently than Brown for sure - he would be much more of a throwing threat and is a different kind of runner; I agree with you on taking Brady off the field and I'm not sure if I like this but it would present some interesting problems for the defense.

Right now I'm looking at something like Butler at 1, Gilbert at 2a, Meredith at 2b and White at 2c. I know they look like horrible picks but it's what I see right now looking at what I consider to be Belichick's history. White, of course, being the shot in the dark wildcard.

4. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Omg, that would be disappointing, but you're right. That does sound like something BB would do to us fans after all our hard work.

5. amazinPats

amazinPats Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This could very well happen. When it comes to drafting, the Pats go their own way, and it usually ends up a surprise.

6. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Of the 3 I'd probably have to take Jenkins, but I love the potential of Butler. I have no concerns about Darius' hands after watching the combine. I want no part of Vontae.

7. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I felt the same let down last year when we took Mayo. I was extremely disappointed BB did not somehow get his hands on Groves to be the pass rushing demon, we desperately need off the edge. To date I have yet to warmeup to Mayo, but I am still sick knowing that Mayo did not make one single big play last year and that Jacksonville is wasting Groves by playing Groves out of position!

8. bakes781

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The guy won DROY! What more do you need from him?

9. rsd

rsd On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You're right, DPOY was such a crappy pick and he made no "big" plays. :rolleyes:

Puhleeeze. Just because a guy didn't get a lot of sacks/ints, doesn't mean he didn't make big plays. Give me the guy who can consistently make the tackles between the hashes because he PREVENTS big plays.

10. bakes781

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Of course Vince Young also won ROY. lol But IMO that belonged to Maurice Jones-Drew.

11. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -0

How'd you not warm up to Mayo after his DROY worthy performance last season? He made plenty of big plays in the loss on MNF against the Jets.

I agree about Groves, though. I'm still a little shocked we didn't trade up and grab him in round 2. If he were in this draft, I'd still want him more than any other DE/OLB option. And I agree the Jags are wasting him at DE. Maybe when he hits RFA or UFA we'll show interest.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.