PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random 2012 NFL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread which seemed to be a place for general NFL news, so I went ahead and started this one. I'm not sure how the mods want news like this presented, and they can merge or move as they deem necessary, but I thought one thread with news about other teams may be useful here.

With that said here is an article detailing a recent DUI for Nick Fairley, and it also refers to a marijuana possession charge against Mike Leshoure that I hadn't heard about. More reason that BB puts so much stock in character, as the Lions top two 2011 picks are having less than desireable starts to their careers.

Nick Fairley of Detroit Lions arrested on DUI charge, attempting to elude police - ESPN

"TILLMAN'S CORNER, Ala. -- Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley has been arrested in Alabama on charges of driving under the influence and attempting to elude police, his second arrest in his home state in two months.

Alabama state troopers say the 24-year-old passed a state trooper early Sunday morning at 100 mph in his Cadillac Escalade in unincorporated Mobile County. After initially refusing to stop for the trooper's emergency lights and siren, Fairley pulled over and seemed impaired. He was arrested without incident.
Fairly was also cited for reckless driving, no proof of insurance and open container. Fox10TV.com reported Fairley posted $1,750 bond and was released shortly after 9 a.m. on Sunday."

"Lions running back Mikel Leshoure also pleaded guilty earlier in May to a marijuana possession charge, two months after police discovered him with pot in his mouth during a traffic stop in southwestern Michigan. Leshoure was also a member of the Lions' 2011 draft class, taken with the 25th pick of the second round."

Last edited:
I didn't see a thread which seemed to be a place for general NFL news, so I went ahead and started this one. I'm not sure how the mods want news like this presented, and they can merge or move as they deem necessary, but I thought one thread with news about other teams may be useful here.

With that said here is an article detailing a recent DUI for Nick Fairley, and it also refers to a marijuana possession charge against Mike Leshoure that I hadn't heard about. More reason that BB puts so much stock in character, as the Lions top two 2011 picks are having less than desireable starts to their careers.

Nick Fairley of Detroit Lions arrested on DUI charge, attempting to elude police - ESPN

"TILLMAN'S CORNER, Ala. -- Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley has been arrested in Alabama on charges of driving under the influence and attempting to elude police, his second arrest in his home state in two months.

Alabama state troopers say the 24-year-old passed a state trooper early Sunday morning at 100 mph in his Cadillac Escalade in unincorporated Mobile County. After initially refusing to stop for the trooper's emergency lights and siren, Fairley pulled over and seemed impaired. He was arrested without incident.
Fairly was also cited for reckless driving, no proof of insurance and open container. Fox10TV.com reported Fairley posted $1,750 bond and was released shortly after 9 a.m. on Sunday."

"Lions running back Mikel Leshoure also pleaded guilty earlier in May to a marijuana possession charge, two months after police discovered him with pot in his mouth during a traffic stop in southwestern Michigan. Leshoure was also a member of the Lions' 2011 draft class, taken with the 25th pick of the second round."

Oh yes, character itself seems to be a huge Belichickian aspect of acquiring players, specifically in the college draft where there risk is greater.

This reason alone is one of the "cross them off the board entirely" factors that come into the whole process, and one of the reasons why I didn't envision someone like Janoris Jenkins being a possibility here. Now we can make the argument that his talent and possible life lessons learned would still allow him to be molded into the "Patriot way," and I would love to have an actual confirmation as to whether or not he was even a possibility--although we can all take it to the bank that will never come out in public.

I think the addition and acquisition of certain recent draft picks that have come from good programs and coaching, where they have been proven captains and leaders is almost a must for a BB coached team anymore; at least in the first and second rounds.

It is certainly interesting to see the disparity of guys like Fairley and LeShore, especially on a team like DET who is already establishing a reputation of drafting and fielding such players. It may be just my opinion, but I am not 100% certain that DET will be keeping its recent success of last year, but only time will tell.

Nick Fairley was regarded pretty highly here by some, while others saw him as a gamble of sorts. To be honest, I was not fully sure that he fit in with our scheme, but that was before any talk of switching to more 40 front looks, and even then my draft analysis could still be way off the mark.

Better them then us, right? ;)

Lions are becoming Bengals....

Meet the new cat, same as the old cat.

The Dolphins are switching from a 3-4 to a "pressure based" 4-3 defense under new DC Kevin Coyle:

Dolphins moving from 3-4 to pressure-based 4-3 defense | ProFootballTalk

Jerod Odrick as a 4-3 left end / sub DT a la Jonathan Fanene? I'm not so sure about that one. And Koa Misi seems like the odd man out right now.

When I read news like this, it makes me happy the Patriots are who they are. So many teams try year in and out to find a "scheme" that works. From a 3-4, to a 4-3, to a Tampa-2....every off season I read about teams "switching" their personnel around. And every year, those teams that switch things around struggle, because they are constantly having to do different things every year.

It really highlights why BB is considered a "defensive mastermind". Teams are always switching things around because they can't figure out what works. Yet BB just sits back....picks a player or two here and there, and has a defense that is successful as a 3-4, 4-3, Sub-Package, Hybrid....even that "roaming cow" defense we saw a few years ago. And on top of that, he can switch between any form of defense almost instantly...during a game between plays even. NO team in the NFL can do that.

So while Miami "changes things up" again, trying to find a defense that works, BB and the Patriots are sitting back, laughing.

When I read news like this, it makes me happy the Patriots are who they are. So many teams try year in and out to find a "scheme" that works. From a 3-4, to a 4-3, to a Tampa-2....every off season I read about teams "switching" their personnel around. And every year, those teams that switch things around struggle, because they are constantly having to do different things every year.

It really highlights why BB is considered a "defensive mastermind". Teams are always switching things around because they can't figure out what works. Yet BB just sits back....picks a player or two here and there, and has a defense that is successful as a 3-4, 4-3, Sub-Package, Hybrid....even that "roaming cow" defense we saw a few years ago. And on top of that, he can switch between any form of defense almost instantly...during a game between plays even. NO team in the NFL can do that.

So while Miami "changes things up" again, trying to find a defense that works, BB and the Patriots are sitting back, laughing.

It never ceases to amaze me how teams will try to force-fit their personnel into a given scheme, as opposed to building the scheme around what the personnel are suited to do. BB is a master at playing to player's strengths rather than to their weaknesses, and to adjusting schemes around the personnel.

The Dolphins have been going 3-4 for several years now. They used top 40 picks on Jared Odrick and Koa Misi because of their projected fit in a 3-4. At 250# Misi and Cameron Wake are rather undersized to be 4-3 DEs on a regular basis. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Koa Misi maybe the odd man out interesting, hes a pretty good young player. I would certainly be more interested in him that Farrior.

Aside from the off-field issues, the question would be where Misi fits? Can he play 4-3 SAM? If so, then he probably has a fit in the Dolphins' scheme, assuming they don't dump him for his other issues. If not and he's a pure 3-4 OLB, than I can't see him fitting the Pats very well. Even if he does, is there anything that Rob Ninkovich doesn't do better?

To be fair, isn't that close to what Alge Crumpler was carrying in 2010? :eek:

I think Crumpler was more around 275-280#. But more importantly, the Giants signed Bennett to be a receiving TE, and the Pats used Crumpler more as a blocking TE/extra lineman. The fact that the Giants' TE coach acknowledges that he Bennett is too heavy counts for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes