Randall Gay showed us all how good Ellis Hobbs actually is

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
dont know why ppl bash hobbs in here so much
but i guess you have to bash someone
anyway, ive always been a randall gay fan, but wow, he looked awful, giving a huge cushion time and time again
he did make one big play, on the fade to matt jones, but overall his play was very uninspirational, and left me hoping hobbs will return to his starting role very soon

Your right. I actually missed Ellis Hobbs. Northcutt dropped a sure first down and may have gone into the endzone. I was happy that Northcutt dropped the ball but I was mad because Gay was beat again. Gay needs better coverage or else recievers will eventually make those grabs. Asante didn't play very well either. Good thing they all get a chance to play better next week.

Your right. I actually missed Ellis Hobbs. Northcutt dropped a sure first down and may have gone into the endzone. I was happy that Northcutt dropped the ball but I was mad because Gay was beat again. Gay needs better coverage or else recievers will eventually make those grabs. Asante didn't play very well either. Good thing they all get a chance to play better next week.

speaking of asante, what exactly was he doing on that wilford td?

anyway, ive always been a randall gay fan, but wow, he looked awful, giving a huge cushion time and time again
he did make one big play, on the fade to matt jones, but overall his play was very uninspirational, and left me hoping hobbs will return to his starting role very soon

jeez....talk about armchair athletes

Gay played CB,just as I expected....like a

nickleback,which is what he is.He was giving a cushion because that's the way nickle and dime cb's are taught.

He probably found out on thursday or friday
that he would be starting at cb and you guys
expect him to be Ty Law.

He tackles better than Hobbs and has better hands,too.

He did the best he could,IMO.

Wanna try Troy Brown out there?

jeez....talk about armchair athletes

Gay played CB,just as I expected....like a

nickleback,which is what he is.He was giving a cushion because that's the way nickle and dime cb's are taught.

He probably found out on thursday or friday
that he would be starting at cb and you guys
expect him to be Ty Law.

He tackles better than Hobbs and has better hands,too.

He did the best he could,IMO.

Wanna try Troy Brown out there?

i dont think anyone was expecting randall to all of a sudden be the second coming of ty law, but a better performance was definitely not too much to ask

speaking of asante, what exactly was he doing on that wilford td?

It looked to me like he was coming up to help play run stop on the Jags QB as he rolled to the right.....bad decision.

I was watching on TV not at the game but from what I saw Gay was not out of position nearly as much as Asante was.

Gay was just beaten at times but he was in the right place and employing proper technique, he just doesn't have the pure talent to keep up with an NFL speed WR.

Gay made two big defensive plays. I thought he did fine. The entire secondary was playing way off the receivers. It wasn't just Randall.

It was clearly in the game plan to take away the run game and the deep ball. Unfortunately, that means that there was virtually no help on the shorter routes and over the deeper middle. Samuel, Hobbs, Gay - everyone's gonna get beat on the shorter routes like that in that type of scheme.

IMO, there were two potential big pass plays that we did/could have allowed.
1) the long pass to Wilford, but that was a broken play. Asante screwed up but I can understand.
2) the pass Northcutt dropped. Perfect throw, and Gay who had outside leverage was not able to recover.

I can live with that. I know you guys say that we got lucky. I think it's a calculated risk BB takes every week. Take away opposing offensive strengths and make them execute at what they're not as good/comfortable at repeatedly and eventually they'll make mistakes or become predictable (which allows the Pats coaching staff to make appropriate adjustments). Garrard and the Jags pass O was up for it for the first half, but not so much in the second half.

Please. Randall Gay was awful in this game. Period. He got burnt all night. Asante was no better. I don't know if it was because of scheme, but Gay was just bad. I am hoping Hobbs can play this weekend at full strength.

For sure, Vincent Jackson scares me a bit. The guy is a freak, 6 foot 5 inches and is finally catching the ball.

anyway, ive always been a randall gay fan, but wow, he looked awful,

How many times do you have to be told why it is sometimes an ILLUSION for the camera to isolate on a guy who was not actually responsible for the coverage?

If you have some specific or technical data about Gay busting the coverage, then share it. Other than that I don't give a rat's asswad if you thought Gay looked bad.

And how many times do you have to be told that the NFL is pass happy and that there is no such thing as a 200 point defense any more? The next time we see a 200 point defense Britney will lose 20 pounds and resurrect her career.

Are you saying McDaniel and Bellichick told him to play tight, but he decided on his own to give a huge cushion?

I really doubt that.

It was clear that the corners were told to play well off the receivers, as nearly every play all the DBs were in that position. I don't have a problem with saying that he played poorly when the ball was thrown his way (such as ball-skills, tackling, coverage downfield, etc.), but don't get on him for his pre-snap tendencies when it was evident that it wasn't his decision most of the time.

I can't single out Gay when everyone in the secondary was exposed at least once. Samuels sure didn't look like a shut down corner. Didn't they say Hobbs was responsible for that first TD? That guy was all alone. Why should we blame Gay when the secondary has not stopped anyone since.................

Although we didn't want to give them anything easy, allowing the medium stuff did play to a strength of theirs which is huge slow receivers.

They're not going to blow by people, but they're huge targets and tough to bring down.

If both teams are forced to patiently dink and dunk, who's better?

Jax=good NE = great.

It's as simple as that.

And the running game was plugged.

How many times do you have to be told why it is sometimes an ILLUSION for the camera to isolate on a guy who was not actually responsible for the coverage?

If you have some specific or technical data about Gay busting the coverage, then share it. Other than that I don't give a rat's asswad if you thought Gay looked bad.

And how many times do you have to be told that the NFL is pass happy and that there is no such thing as a 200 point defense any more? The next time we see a 200 point defense Britney will lose 20 pounds and resurrect her career.

The Ravens only allowed 201 points last season. In 2005, the Bears allowed only 202. If you want to be technical, 200 hasn't been done lately, it's true, but it's not as if it was missed by much.

Asante Samuel was terrible. We'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes