PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randall Gay quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Patriots CB Randall Gay was a guest on ESPN Radio's "GameNight" program and was asked about criticism the team receives for running up the score.

The Q&A, which can also be heard on ESPN.com:

You hear people saying 'the Patriots are running up the score, they don't have any sportsmanship, they're the team everybody loves to hate because they don't have any mercy.' When you hear that kind of talk from people, what is your reaction and what would you like to say to those people?
"Basically, you have to ignore those people because this is a job. We're out there, and what are we supposed to do? Like we scored on defense, when Ellis [Hobbs] caught the fumble, should he have taken a knee because we were up by so much? We're out there to do our job, just like they're out there to do their job. It kind of makes me mad when you hear somebody from the other team's defense going 'they shouldn't have done thatl; that's disrespect.' Do we think it's disrespect when they went and picked up their checks for letting a team score 50 points on them? That should be disrespect, that you went to your owner and said 'All right, pay me for that game I just played.' You can't look at it like that. You have to go out there and do your best. If somebody is blowing you out, you have to play harder. You have to stop them."
and ESPN live now asked jarvis green what he thought about gay saying the bills shouldnt pickup their paychecks. Way to fudge the quotes guys :mad:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

and ESPN live now asked jarvis green what he thought about gay saying the bills shouldnt pickup their paychecks. Way to fudge the quotes guys :mad:

Yeah, leaving out parts of a quote really can make a difference...

You can't look at it like that. You have to go out there and do your best. If somebody is blowing you out, you have to play harder.

He was actually using it as a counter example of how things SHOULDN'T be perceived...not as how he perceives them.

And then these same people talk badly about BB because he doesn't say anything and doesn't allow his players to really say much... Gee I WONDER FRIGGIN WHY!

Thanks for the full quote. That's what I thought he had said, and the way ESPN is spinning it was really pissing me off.

Sports media will do whatever it takes to make an interesting story. I almost always give athletes and coaches the benefit of the doubt when you hear a nasty quote, or some otherwise un-well-documented situation (to a certain extent anyway).

Since sports journalists are not held to the same standards as real journalists, there's big time incentive and opportunity there to get the scoop, get a sensational story, and advance your career. Good reporting is always secondary to creating a good story. Don't trust sports media.

Let's see if this gets legs and morphs into one more negative about how arrogant the Pats are.

Let's see if this gets legs and morphs into one more negative about how arrogant the Pats are.

Counting down to another Bill Polian explosion in 10..9..8..7..6..:rocker:

they played the whole quote and asked mark schelerth and he says its garbage what gay is saying. There is a right way to win and wrong way to win..blah blah...Buffalo is not as talented etc
No one hints that he wasnt talking about the bills.

Schlereth(sp) just went on a small rant against it. Saying it's not the Bill's fault they suck. He then threw a few barbs at Gay and BB.

If I'm not mistaken, I swear he was sticking up for Indy back in '04 or '05 when the same topic was brought upagainst them (on a much smaller scale, none the less).

My only problem with Gay's comments is that they could become bulletin board material. Or maybe I've been following this team too long.

It is stupid to trump this up, but as an aside, I will say that the concept was poorly executed in terms of how it was explained.

While I think we all understand what Gay was trying to say, he has, unfortunately, given other teams bulletin board material.

But leave it to Schlereth to completely twist this thing around and misquote what was actually being said.

Further proof that Schlereth hates the Patriots and continues to be the biggest dipsheeot on TV.

While I think we all understand what Gay was trying to say, he has, unfortunately, given other teams bulletin board material.

But leave it to Schlereth to completely twist this thing around and misquote what was actually being said.

Further proof that Schlereth hates the Patriots and continues to be the biggest dipsheeot on TV.

do these analysts have any email address ?

do these analysts have any email address ?

They do. I sent Schlereth a scathing letter last year of how could he possibly keep his job at ESPN when its so obvious to the rest of the country that he was as stupid as jackass in antartica.

I believe its either [email protected] or [email protected] or something along those lines.

I don't have it at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye