Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rand Paul Wins KY Primary!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, May 18, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

2. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Kentucky primary: Grayson accuses Paul supporters of intimidating voters
    The Fix - Kentucky primary: Grayson accuses Paul supporters of intimidating voters

Updated 4:11 p.m.
    By Felicia Sonmez
    Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson is accusing ophthalmologist Rand Paul's (R) campaign of conducting a "widespread voter interrogation scheme" as voters go to the polls today in the primary for retiring Sen. Jim Bunning's (R) seat.

Grayson's campaign issued a memo to reporters this afternoon highlighting a document it claims Paul's campaign has been distributing to supporters. The Paul campaign document instructs supporters to check voting machines before polls opened at 6 a.m. and "attempt to determine that all voting machines are set to zero."
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

If he's anything like his old man, I sincerely hope this is the start of bigger things.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

The boyz over at StormFront are blowing hot and cold on him...

Breaking News: Rand Paul wins GOP Kentucky nod - Stormfront

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

That's good news for the Democrats. Rand Paul I think puts the Kentucky seat in play, though perhaps its still a longshot. When voters learn that Paul is opposed to the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Education Dept. and they begin to think about how primitive and backwards his libertarian views are, I think they'll be less enthusiastic.

It's interesting that Stormfront seems positive about Paul, especially given Paul's father's racist newsletter and comments over the years.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

From reading the whole thread they viewed him as the savior of their cause, but are concerned as he is a supporter of Israel... so they are running hot and cold.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Still pulling out that old "Ron Paul's a racist" crap, eh Patters? I guess there is no limit to your reaching...patheticly lame, but have at it...:rofl:
  8. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Paul in the Senate will be a great great spokesman for some real change. We need to have term limits for federally elected officials. The end of Term limits means the special interests have to invest brand new money in new candidates every some many years rather than buying a candidate and holding them hostage the rest of their careers.

Rand is going to shake it up! More power to him!

What's more impressive is that he so far has done it despite the big parties... while the established GOP tried to oust him, he tapped into the people and we destroyed the establishment candidate.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Crush all establishment candidates. I might have to send Rand a donation, if it looks like he's in a close race. He's interesting in the sense that he's so outside of the norm. I used to think Ron Paul was nuts, and sometimes still do, but now I'm more understanding of what it is he preaches.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Sounds like a lot of comments about Scott Brown when he got elected. I don't buy it. There needs to be about 100 repeats of this type of upset to have any effect. Vermont elected a Communist, but that had no effect either.

Sorry for the cynicism, but I need to see the TV lemmings (voters) do more than one seat.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

He tapped into the Republicans so far and destroyed the Republican candidate. It remains to be seen if he can do the same to the Democrats.
  12. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Don't count yer' chickens before they hatch, McGraw. With all the excitement and media attention ensuring a huge turnout in the GOP race versus a sleepier Dem race:

Paul: 209,159
    Mongiardo: 221,269
    Conway: 226,773
  13. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Truth. It really doesn't matter that he's not in my state, his win has future implications, ones that I like.

Supposedly he's not like an exact replica of his father's politics but he's close enough. I don't think he's on the abolish-the-fed trail though, yet anyway.

He was smart not to go too far out at this point,actually. That's really what hurt Ron Paul, he was a little too radical for that time. Now people believe him.
  14. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree with this. The thing that's different is that he has no political experience whatsoever, he's basically just a politically-oriented opthamologist I think lol. It's awesome how he literally walked out of his doctor's office and wins the primary, and by something like 60%. People are tired of politicians.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Rand Paul on his father's politics:

Question: You're basically what I would call a chip off the old block. Your policies are basically identical to your father, correct?"

Answer: I'd say we'd be very very similar. We might present the message sometimes differently.. I think in some ways the message has to be broadened and made more appealing to the entire Republican electorate because you have to win a primary."

Rand Paul on Alex Jones, 5/21/09

In other words, some people will say anything to win.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

I'm constantly amazed at the right's inconsistancy.

Now it's suddenly a GOOD thing to have no experience - but when Obama was running all you guys were screaming "But he's got no experience!!!!

Awesome, indeed.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +329 / 6 / -7

Can some of the Rand Paul supporters in here expound on the specific reasons they support him?

To me, he seems like a terrible candidate. Doesn't really have any charisma or gravitas to speak of, and has vulnerabilities a mile wide.

Granted, he has the benefit of running in Kentucky, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a conservative third-party candidate who ends up running and siphoning a good amount of hardened GOP voters away from Paul.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

OMFG. Obama ran for POTUS!
  19. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

....:rofl:..... Unreal.
  20. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +329 / 6 / -7

So the key takeaway here is that "experience" is required for POTUS, but not for US Senate?