PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams Cut Safety OJ Atogwe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanders is a good player, and nowhere near close to being overpaid. He played in about 70% of the defensive snaps, to consider him a "backup" is ridiculous. And typically most defensive plays made are a product of several players doing the right thing. If you want to discount Sanders plays then start doing it for everyone.

Also I thought Sanders was the nail in the coffin during the Pittsburgh game with that pick six. And I remember Chung getting burnt far more times in coverage than Sanders ever was (especially for TDs). But of course, Chung is one of the board favorites - so he's immune to criticism or comparison.

Last edited:
Ah........I'll bet that nobody is throwing to Asomughas side. Isn't that a fair statement? Nice try. I am not buying. That was a wiff Cousin.

Let's all agree on one thing . Sanders can't cover either and that part of his game is his biggest liability. He is the field general, nothing more.....wow?! I give him credit for that.
DW Toys

What's not to buy? I simply stated that the defensive stats can be quite misleading, which I think we both agree on.

Sanders isn't great in coverage, but neither is Atogwe. He's much better playing a centerfield role where he can roam, a la Meriweather.

And I still don't understand how you can argue that Sanders is too expensive, but ignore the guy you want to replace him probably costing twice as much.

Cousin, you can't have it both ways:

Sanders is the 3rd link in a 3 safety group. Meriweather took 80% of the defensive snaps last year. Chung took 72.3% of the defensive snaps last year. Sanders took 70.8% of the defensive snaps last year. The question then becomes one of why you would bring in Atogwe to play ahead of Chung or Meriweather, because Atogwe is going to want to start

Arrington, McCourty, Chung, Merriweather and....as it was so eloquently put our third safety "group" guy ,Mr. Sanders. Who was worst in coverage? I rest my case or are you going to throw Barrett in the mix where he did not suit up?

Why the attack on me? He is nothing more than a mediocre replaceable part of the Pats DB mix who is overpayed for a third string Safety in my opinion. He is very weak in coverage as the league now becomes more spread the field oriented (will you give me that much?).

If he is cut for CAP reasons are you slicing your wrists? (Merriweather is only $600,000)

Mr. Sanders is replaceable in my opinion and $3 million is way too much for him for a mediocre Safety. I am very amused if you think this is far off base. He is getting paid the same as Merriweather and Chung together. What the heck? Irrational? I have not admired this kids play for many year.He had a good year. He is not the answer period (again my humble opinion that you are not going to a change nor am I going to change the "Sanders Lovers of New England Society". We can agree to disagree but I am pretty comfortable in my assessment.

Look at it this way. The Cowboys need a Safety. They might throw a decent pick for Merriweather. We agree that Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed does not have to worry about Brandon upstaging him. Do you think someone in the League would give us more than a 6th rounder for JS?
DW Toys

Ok, you're now back to full gibberish with regards to Sanders, which means you'll be back to full gibberish on other topics soon enough. Back to the ignore list with you.

Last edited:
Let me say that I like sanders , i see a lot of value. 2 yrs in a row when our DB`s struggle, he comes in and stabilizes the backfield.

I do not care if OJ is a better player in Rams system , it has been proved that sanders in a better player in our system and helps the other DB`s players.

i really do not see what OJ can teach and bring to our backfield to help our young CB and Safeties that is the bottom line. last year sanders was given more free range then any other year to read and react to what the offense is doing and he was very effective.I want to see him in there doing the same for the 2nd year.

the patriots have excelled in using smart football players to beat pure talent and he is a smart football player ,the last of the few left and as a fan that is what i loved about the dynasty teams. football players beating athletic freaks with smarts.

Last edited:
Just signed with Redskins! Money must be good!

Twitter

Just signed with Redskins! Money must be good!

Twitter

Sooner or later those Redskins are going to get those big named players that finally put the Redskins over the top.

Next year could be the year for them in a competitive NFC East that has no standout teams.

Sooner or later those Redskins are going to get those big named players that finally put the Redskins over the top.

Next year could be the year for them in a competitive NFC East that has no standout teams.
I was watching the E:60 program on Dan Synder the other day. The entire time I kept thinking how the hell are you a billionaire given his continued commitment to large money contracts for anyone with a name in the NFL.

The Skins won't be going anywhere as long as he controls that team. To much of a fan opposed to being an owner.

Last edited:
that's actually not an overpayment

pretty surprising for the redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes