PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raining Snowballs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I discussed with Shmess, I wouldn't mind if Mangini was hit by a snowball (not an iceball, not a beer bottle) and wasn't injured, just annoyed. Doesn't come close to breaking even, but it's one step to make the Mangina remember what he did. I wouldn't be the one throwing the snowball, nor would I condone those who did - they broke the law, and that's just plain dumb.
Talk about condoning what you don't condone? You've got to be kidding!

"one step to make the Mangina remember what he did," you've got to be kidding!

While Mangini is destined for a brief career as a HC for several reasons, it's a simple fact that if the camera were not used on the sidelines at the Meadowlands by the Patriots on September 9, this discussion would not be taking place. Then, to use that rule violation as a reasonable excuse for unacceptable acts by nitwit fans is completely irrational.

Last edited:
See, I don't see what the big deal is. First people are complaining that the fans sit on their hands the whole game...Now people are complaining that the fans are too rowdy.

Make up your mind!

Dood, you on crack ? ok when you're all growed up, take your kid to a sporting event and have some num num hit em in the head with a bottle, ice ball, fireworks, a quarter or bic lighter and then come back here and post that same message.....

Rowdy is the fans in the parking lot and stadium Chanting " ******* ******* ******* " to the away teams fans and team, not hurling 1lb death bombs from 200ft up in the 300's section, than squating back down in ya seat like a sally so the big guy you just hit doesnt see you and pound you into steak ta-ta, which they would deserve, punks......

Did anyone get hurt (other than their feelings or pride)? Didn't think so...

How do you know, you work for the stadium crews EMT service or the police ??????

I go to other teams forums reading about how classless our fans are and that we cheat and we deserve an asterisk next to our name in the records books and wholeheartedly get into a battle of wits with these unarmed meat puppets and then return here and have to listen to some of the brainless verbal diarrhea thats spewed forth here and all i can do is shake my head, yup, some real winners on this board...:bricks:

ever hear of anyone getting seriously injured from a snowball?? its a freakin snowball, man!
for the sake of all mankind, i hope your kidding..

My sediments exactly from my last post, boobs like this guy walking around in public, god help us !!!!!

It is no surprise that even moderators here condone "different rules" for snowball throwing. Yeah, hit 'em, but don't hurt 'em. After all, the Jets were "invited guests" right??

Correction: "Moderator", not "Moderators"

Let's just say that Pats1 and I have respectfully agreed to disagree completely on this subject.

Oy, we're still having the snowball fight?

My sediments exactly from my last post, boobs like this guy walking around in public, god help us !!!!!

If your sediments are talking, you really should clean out that last glass of wine and let your sentiments talk clearly! ;)

Since this discussion is still going and I've seen it referenced again, are "WE" really any better than any other fans? I think it's more of what the ownership/authorities allow the fans to get away with moreso than "US" be above all of that.

I'm not an object thrower, slobbering drunk, profanity spewer, opposing fan fighter, etc., etc. But I think the only thing that separates Pats fans at the games (my rash generalization since we all get lumped into this) from the antics of Bills, Jets, Eagles, < insert your notorious fanbase criminals here> is that Kraft and regular trooper activity prevent it from happening. If left to our own devices as some of these other fans are, I'm not convinced those activities wouldn't happen here. The threat of arrest here and/or ticket loss keeps most of the animals in check or culls them out.

I think people need to distinguish here between snowballs aimed at the field and snow tossed in the air in the stands. There weren't that many snowballs hitting the field, and I didn't see any players hit during the game. (Can't speak for any Jets getting hit entering the tunnel on the way out afterward.) The refs stopping play for a few seconds was more a precautionary move to get the point across. It just wasn't that bad; snowballs weren't "raining" onto the field.

Correction: "Moderator", not "Moderators"

Let's just say that Pats1 and I have respectfully agreed to disagree completely on this subject.

Yes, indeed. :D

Talk about condoning what you don't condone? You've got to be kidding!

I think I can have it both ways. Not every snowball thrown (perhaps a very small percentage) will actually cause injury to its victim. Therefore I believe it's reasonable to want Mangini to get hit by a snowball and not be injured - which is a lot different than, say, wanting to nuke someone but have no deaths.

Condemning the person who committed the crime, in my eyes, is different than condemning the actual crime itself. Throwing a snowball onto the field is illegal. Committing an illegal act in plain view is stupid. But if one of the snowballs found its way to Mangini (not injuring him), I can't say I will bury my head in my hands in remorse.

"one step to make the Mangina remember what he did," you've got to be kidding!

While Mangini is destined for a brief career as a HC for several reasons, it's a simple fact that if the camera were not used on the sidelines at the Meadowlands by the Patriots on September 9, this discussion would not be taking place. Then, to use that rule violation as a reasonable excuse for unacceptable acts by nitwit fans is completely irrational.

And if the Patriots actually confiscated the Jets' camera last season and turned it in, this discussion, well, would be taking place, but in a different manner.

Don't be that naive to think the Jets weren't doing EXACTLY what the Pats were doing. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was happening the same game the Pats were caught. However, it appears the Jets did not have the same interpretation of the mandate as the Pats did, so the Jets didn't toss one of their guys out on the sideline with a video camera plainly pointed at the opposing coaches. Believe me, the Pats aren't that stupid - they weren't intimidated by the rule and found what they thought was a loophole they could successfully exploit (that or just plain out thought the rule didn't apply to their situation). They weren't able to do so, but that's a whole other story.

As I explained the week of the incident, there is a considerable amount of "illegal" gamesmanship in the NFL. Collusion, tampering, this type of videotaping and "spying," and as we found out a month ago, non-contract performance incentives. Mangini took it a step beyond in doing what he did. And whether he intended it to or not (he should of considering the Pats' success and assumed spotlessness), the story grew bigger than any other had in the past, branding everyone associated with the organization with an asterisk. And in the process, lost the trust of every other NFL organization. We've seen it a few times now since then. The Colts' crowd noise. The Jets' taping from last year. I know I'm forgetting others. Every organization has their own styles of previously unenforced gamesmanship, and Mangini (and Goodell) set the precedent. Now it must be followed.

The fact of the matter is Belichick's behavior. We all know Belichick will do anything possible to prevent a story from being molded from nothing - "it is what it is." He always goes out of his way to heap praise on the opposing team, preventing them from using any of his words as motivating factors.

So when Belichick REFUSES to name Mangini by name, locks him out of Gillette for good, and makes a headline out of his disingenuous handshakes, don't you think there is SOME point he was trying to make out of the whole deal?

Or, maybe I'm making way to much out of this, but when Stacey James is on the phone Sunday morning on WCVB and specifically tells Patriots fans to "save their energy for when Eric Mangini and the New York Jets come out of the tunnel today."

Mangini is SEVERELY disliked around Foxboro for something. And you simply cannot convince me otherwise.

This is great. Maybe we can get all you snowball enthusiasts to throw some rocks off an overpass or start a fire in an abondoned warehouse.

You people REALLY know how to have fun. How 'bout we just torture and kill someones family pet as an appetizer.

I wonder if the Pats FO would go for Pellet Gun Day at the Razor. That would be so pissah!

Seriously, snowballs are soooo lame. Whatever happend to D batteries? I'm way more accurate with those.

This is great. Maybe we can get all you snowball enthusiasts to throw some rocks off an overpass or start a fire in an abondoned warehouse.
You people REALLY know how to have fun. How 'bout we just torture and kill someones family pet as an appetizer.
I wonder if the Pats FO would go for Pellet Gun Day at the Razor. That would be so pissah!
Seriously, snowballs are soooo lame. Whatever happend to D batteries? I'm way more accurate with those.

hasnt anyone here ever gotten into a snowball fight? it sure doesnt seem that way. maybe you should go outside and get in a snowball fight. its actually quite fun. nothing like D batteries.....

I think I can have it both ways. Not every snowball thrown (perhaps a very small percentage) will actually cause injury to its victim. Therefore I believe it's reasonable to want Mangini to get hit by a snowball and not be injured - which is a lot different than, say, wanting to nuke someone but have no deaths.

Condemning the person who committed the crime, in my eyes, is different than condemning the actual crime itself. Throwing a snowball onto the field is illegal. Committing an illegal act in plain view is stupid. But if one of the snowballs found its way to Mangini (not injuring him), I can't say I will bury my head in my hands in remorse.

Please tell me you're kidding. That it's really a sarcastic post. And camouflaging it with the nuke analogy is just lame.

Or, maybe I'm making way to much out of this, but when Stacey James is on the phone Sunday morning on WCVB and specifically tells Patriots fans to "save their energy for when Eric Mangini and the New York Jets come out of the tunnel today."
Hardly think Stacey meant to save energy for pelting Jets and other fans. Really, I believe he wanted the noise level to increase, not the projectiles. Bet if you checked with him, he'd confirm

Mangini is SEVERELY disliked around Foxboro for something. And you simply cannot convince me otherwise.
This comment is a non sequitur. Not sure where the idea came from that Mangini is the "Mangini of La Mancha" around Foxboro. Don't believe anyone was trying to convince you otherwise.

Here's the deal, I've been in large crowds where passion and opposition (sound like a sporting event between arch rivals?) can overcome the crowd, and it usually results in injuries, chaos, and arrests. Don't forget that this is a family sport where there are people who are young, cannot defend themselves, and really only wanted to see a good game. These fans have every right to expect a safe experience when going to root for their team. That's my objection to anyone performing an act in a crowd that could result in injury or worse to the innocent who attend the event. Full stop.

Bottom line, this appears to be the consensus of the posters on this thread.

Last edited:
hasnt anyone here ever gotten into a snowball fight? it sure doesnt seem that way. maybe you should go outside and get in a snowball fight. its actually quite fun. nothing like D batteries.....

Seriously, a snowball fight against your buddies is one thing. Pegging unsespecting women and security personel is another. I have a feeling Mangitis knew it was coming, but still lame.

Please tell you're kidding. That it's really a sarcastic post. And camouflaging it with the nuke analogy is just lame.

And I'm sure if Mangini got hit, you'd feel bad for him?

No, it's not sarcastic. If snowball fights had more than a freak chance of causing serious injury, then there wouldn't have been millions of them across the country after the past two snow storms.

Hardly think Stacey meant to save energy for pelting Jets and other fans. Really, I believe he wanted the noise level to increase, not the projectiles. Bet if you checked with him, he'd confirm

Not the point. He singled out Mangini in his comments. Essentially "Pour down the boos on Eric Mangini...and the Jets."

This comment is a non sequitur. Not sure where the idea came from that Mangini is the "Mangini of La Mancha" around Foxboro. Don't believe anyone was trying to convince you otherwise.

Your point was that Mangini doesn't deserve the harsh treatment he's gotten around here since he's left.

My point was that Belichick's uncharacteristic words and actions show something is up.

Here's the deal, I've been in large crowds where passion and opposition (sound like a sporting event between arch rivals?) can overcome the crowd, and it usually results in injuries, chaos, and arrests. Don't forget that this is a family sport where there are people who are young, cannot defend themselves, and really only wanted to see a good game. These fans have every right to expect a safe experience when going to root for their team. That's my objection to anyone performing an act in a crowd that could result in injury or worse to the innocent who attend the event. Full stop.

Another question then: do you support those who want to breastfeed at a game?

Pegging unsespecting women and security personel is another.

Which I don't condone at all, for the record.

Randomly throwing snowballs onto the field or at random people doesn't make any sense.

I've had this discussion in other places before this thread, and it seems to me there are some deciding factors as to one's feelings of this "issue - and the broader Mangini/Spygate sentiments" mainly dealing with what professional means to you, and what attending a professional football game is to you:

-Is football one of those core passions that your life seems to revolve around? Do you study it, read about it, talk about it, and frequently think about it? Or is it a weekend get-away that is important when there's a big story but is usually an after-thought throughout the offseason?

-Is going to a football game a social event where you get drunk tailgating with your friends and spend half of the game in line at the urinal? Are you a third-party neutral observer, a lover of the game who sits back and analyzes but is dispassionate? Is it a corporate incentive where you have premium seats but either spend the time talking or yell at the person in front of you to sit down? Or is it something that you countdown to during the week, supplement with tailgating, but devote all of your energy, mind, and focus to being the 12th man, living and dying with the team with every play on the field?

I hope you can tell which I believe in most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back