PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rain in the forecast... - good or bad for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydyn

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just re-watched some highlights from the Texans @ Bears game from a few week ago, which was played in some nasty downpour conditions. Was a pretty messy, low-scoring game (probably also in part due to Cutler getting hammered and out for the second half).

Any thoughts about the implications of rain for THIS PARTICULAR game (facing the Texans)? Which team would capitalize on the weather better? (if at all) I’d imagine catching wet balls would make both teams rely more on the running game. On the other hand, trying to break a tackle isn’t an easy task on a wet turf.

Last edited:
I think Tom Brady is better than Jay Cutler. I think Tom Brady is the best bad weather quarterback of all time. I think the Patriots are better than the Bears.

I really don't think it matters much. I think Brady plays just as well in bad weather as in good weather. I suppose if Schaub plays worse in poor weather, then it would be an edge for the Pats, but I really don't know what his history is.

I really don't think it matters much. I think Brady plays just as well in bad weather as in good weather. I suppose if Schaub plays worse in poor weather, then it would be an edge for the Pats, but I really don't know what his history is.

Brady plays really well in the snow, but not so much when it's raining.

It isn't meaningless as there is plenty of evidence of teams buckling due to weather but it also doesn't have to be a factor either as Brady has proven to play pretty damn well in it and it is certainly possible the Texans can handle it too.

But then again they are the dome team and have played in it much less. Basically it may or may not be an advantage but more than likely if it benefits anyone it will benefit the Patriots.

I think Tom Brady is better than Jay Cutler. I think Tom Brady is the best bad weather quarterback of all time. I think the Patriots are better than the Bears.
and BB is better than Lovie Smith

I wasn’t trying to compare the Pats to the Bears or Brady to Cutler (no competition there). I just mentioned that game because it was played under similar weather conditions – it just happened to be the Bears.

As far as performance goes, I’m sure Brady can handle the rain, but a wet ball is certainly harder to catch than a dry one – I think everyone here can agree on that. From a receiver’s perspective (and Pats is (or used to be) more of a passing team), things could get ugly.

Lastly, I posed the question not because I wanted to know which team would benefit more/less from the wet conditions. But rather which team (Texans is mainly a running team) could make better use OF the conditions. Not which team is more accustomed to the weather. This is not a dome team vs. an open stadium one, or a warm climate team vs. a cold weather one. In other words, rain in and of itself would benefits a particular playing scheme – which one of the teams plays a scheme that is suited better for rain. Say…. A good running team can benefits from its RBs and not have to rely too much on the pass.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Kontra, please hand him back his leg

Good for us.

The texans barely got past chitown during a bit of rain, and the patriots are notoriously better in inclement situations then the texans.

I wasn’t trying to compare the Pats to the Bears or Brady to Cutler (no competition there). I just mentioned that game because it was played under similar weather conditions – it just happened to be the Bears.

As far as performance goes, I’m sure Brady can handle the rain, but a wet ball is certainly harder to catch than a dry one – I think everyone here can agree on that. From a receiver’s perspective (and Pats is (or used to be) more of a passing team), things could get ugly.

Lastly, I posed the question not because I wanted to know which team would benefit more/less from the wet conditions. But rather which team (Texans is mainly a running team) could make better use OF the conditions. Not which team is more accustomed to the weather. This is not a dome team vs. an open stadium one, or a warm climate team vs. a cold weather one. In other words, rain in and of itself would benefits a particular playing scheme – which one of the teams plays a scheme that is suited better for rain. Say…. A good running team can benefits from its RBs and not have to rely too much on the pass.

Sorry for the confusion.

I answered it for you already. Brady is the GOAT and is one of the best bad weather quarterbacks of all time. Advantage - Pats. :)

I wish it would snow, or maybe a Blizzard...;)

That would be Advantage Pats, no question.

31486162.jpg

Snow is an advantage for a passing game that depends on quick receivers. Rain, however, tends to favor running games.

Also, in New England (and I'd guess most other places), rain tends to be associated with wind more often than snow does, and wind isn't good for a passing game. Indeed, that may be more of a problem than the rain itself.

Last edited:
Definitely not "bad," but also not as "good" as snow with wind chills in the teens.

Snow is an advantage for a passing game that depends on quick receivers. Rain, however, tends to favor running games.

Also, in New England (and I'd guess most other places), rain tends to be associated with wind more often than snow does, and wind isn't good for a passing game. Indeed, that may be more of a problem than the rain itself.

I think a shorter passing game — like the Pats generally favor — is less affected. From what I've seen. Houston might rely on deeper passes more for change of pace. Pats' running game is also pretty good.

I think passing is certainly affected by the wet ball, and I expect more drops, but the wet field affects defenses and players who have to quickly react as well, causing them to slip.

Running isn't any safer because of fumbling. Easier to strip the ball.

It'll make absolutely no difference to the Patriots O. They can run and they can pass.

I believe in bad weather the offense has an advantage over the defense, saying that, the texans D is not what will hurt us most this game, it's their O, In that sense I believe the weather will help the texans more because I think our D has a chance to play a good game, but weather will make them worse

I think it's both good and bad. Good in the semse that it will slow down the Texans pass rush, bad because it will do the same to the Pats. Good in the fact that extra second Brady has to throw he will rip them apart, nad in tje fact that extra second or two given to Schaub will do the same to the Pats. Basically I think it will be a wash. Pats win because I think they match up better against the Texans than vice versa.

I think it's both good and bad. Good in the semse that it will slow down the Texans pass rush, bad because it will do the same to the Pats. Good in the fact that extra second Brady has to throw he will rip them apart, nad in tje fact that extra second or two given to Schaub will do the same to the Pats. Basically I think it will be a wash. Pats win because I think they match up better against the Texans than vice versa.
Releasing your inner Dutchman 37? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye