Welcome to PatsFans.com

Raids in 6 States Met With Anger, Cheers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 6 / -2

Am I reading this correctly? Did that company say that 40% of its 13,000 member workforce is illegal? Wow.

BTW, I really hate it when people try to use the children as a defense mechanism. "What about the poor children?" is right, but who's fault is it that these kids are in this position. People who come here illegally do so knowingly. The onus and responsibility is on their shoulders, and no one elses. Whats sad is that these people have children in our schools that we pay for, while american wages get destroyed, and corporations reap the benefits.

Raids in 6 States Met With Anger, Cheers

By KIM NGUYEN
    Associated Press Writer

GREELEY, Colo. - Outside a meatpacking plant fence here, a frustrated Tony Garcia watched as Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents swarmed inside.
    "We need help," he yelled to them. "We need answers."

There were few of those Tuesday as agents began their initial sweep through Swift & Co. plants in six states, arresting illegal immigrants who had bought or stolen other people's identities to help them get Swift jobs.

Garcia, who said he has friends who work at the Greeley plant, was worried about the fate of schoolchildren whose parents were arrested. "Who is going to pick them up?" he asked.

The raids capped a 10-month investigation into an identity-theft scheme that may have hundreds of victims, both U.S. citizens and legal residents, officials said.

Continued....

Immigration officials last month informed Swift that it would remove unauthorized workers on Dec. 4, but Swift asked a federal judge to prevent agents from conducting the raid, arguing it would cause "substantial and irreparable injury" to its business.

Swift estimated that a raid would remove up to 40 percent of its 13,000 workers. After a closed hearing, a judge on Thursday rejected Swift's request, clearing the way for the raids.

Swift uses a government pilot program to confirm whether Social Security numbers are valid. Company officials have raised questions about the program's ability to detect when two people are using the same number.

Advocates of stricter immigration control praised the raids, pointing out they targeted people suspected of committing other crimes in addition to entering the nation illegally.

"I'm glad that ICE is enforcing our immigration laws in light of the illegal immigration crisis we face across the country," Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., said in a statement.

Others criticized the effect on families or called the raids heavy-handed.

"They are taking mothers and fathers and we're really concerned about the children," said the Rev. Clarence Sandoval of St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church in Logan, Utah. "I'm getting calls from mothers saying they don't know where their husband was taken," he said.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department pledged to ensure that any Mexicans caught up in Tuesday's raid have "their human rights fully respected, and are given all the necessary assistance, orientation and consular protection."

Immigration agents have also staged immigration raids at poultry plants in the South. In July 2005, nearly 120 people were arrested at an Arkadelphia, Ark., facility. Three months ago, agents raided a poultry plant in Stillmore, Ga., arresting a similar number who worked there or lived in surrounding counties.

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_2P1B...0&qcat=usnews&ran=18662&passqi=&feed=ap&top=1
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

And I can't even rip on Democrats for this, Bush and his gang are just as guilty. And and all illegals should be deported. And children born in the U.S. to illegals should not be automatic citizens,
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

The Poor Kids:
    The discovery channel did a story on these criminals sneaking into America, they showed the Border Patrol rounding up a bunch of these people, the criminals were dragging 4 and 5 year old little kids through the desert at 3:00 AM, nothing to eat but a Snicker Bar, a true Liberal will blame the "Border Patrol"

I part company with George Bush on this one, Bush shares much of the blame for this, Bush is "LIBERAL DEMOCRAT" when it comes to Illegal Aliens.

The Poor Kids:
    Would you drag your little child through the desert at 3:00 AM, is Mexico that bad, what kind of a "SH!T HOLE" is Mexico?

Liberals say Illegal Aliens are being treated badly in America, what the f-ck is Mexcico doing to them?
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +507 / 6 / -2

Bush is an absolute moron when it comes to illegal immigration. This is not a Dem or repub problem, it's both. There are loons on each side who want amnesty, and have no care as to the damage being done to the middle class. I have no problems with a guest worker program, or with inreasing the amounts of DOCUMENTED immigrants we let in. My issue is with the unfettered, uncontrolled, and undocumented invasion that is, and has been taking place.

FYI, Canada once had the same law that we do with respect to being born & citizenship. Well, they changed it. They changed it because they were having a problem with immigrants who were flying in when 8 months pregnant, and giving birth to anchor babies and never leaving. It became such a drain on social services that they changed the law.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Umm, you don't seem like the kind of guy to make stuff up, but that's absolutely untrue. Canada still recognizes the jus soli right of citizenship, except for children born to foreign diplomats (just like the US). Can you show me any source saying it had been changed?

Most of Europe doesn't have jus soli rights (only jus sanguinis, by blood), but the only countries I can find that repealed it are India (July 1, 1987) and Malta (August 1, 1989).

By the way, in the US it would require a constitutional amendment to get rid of that right.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +507 / 6 / -2

I was looking for it via google and was having a tough time finding the article i read. I remember it distinctly though. I'm going to research it more when i get home from work. I don't post anything i can't back, you're right. I do remember this as it was a topical discussion in another forum. I remember it because it dealt directly with asian immigrants, and the canadian politician who submitted the legislation was of asian decent. If I'm wrong I'll retract with no problem.