PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Suspend Jerry Porter 4 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what its like to be a Raiders fan this season..

SWelker said:
I wonder what its like to be a Raiders fan this season..
i got 10 bucks on "it blows"

I'm not sure really, ask Digger44 how he feels................

I don't get it. Why now?

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I guess we can cross him off the trade for list Hmm?

The Pats should trade for both Moss and Porter. And yes I am serious. I have had tons of free time spent shovelling out of tons of snow and sawing up fallen trees to have thought this out ;)

The Raiders are in a huge bind right now. Let's use their futility to our advantage. Neither Moss nor Porter wishes to remain a Raider and have been publicly vocal about it which isn't helping a team that is crumbling in front of everyones eyes. Tell the Raiders that we only trade for one of them if the other is involved. They won't get a better offering than this one from any other team so offer up both 1st's for the two of them and then settle in for a few years of league domination. Any bad Raider PR that results from trading away these guys can easily be offset by throwing in the fact that they now have 3 1st round picks with which to rebuild with. Any sane Raider fan knows that they need to rebuild. What better way to do so then with 3 1st rounders. I'm very comfortable relying on the Pats coaching staff and it's numerous vets acclimating Moss and Porter to the winning ways of life as a New England Patriot.

Brady would do backflips from here to eternity if he had Moss and Porter as his primary targets. Throw best bud Gabriel into the Moss/Porter mix and you've got instant passing domination and then some. With Moss and Porter added the Pats offense would be set for the next several years meaning they could use the next two years worth of draft picks to shore up the back 7/8 as needed.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The Pats should trade for both Moss and Porter. And yes I am serious. I have had tons of free time spent shovelling out of tons of snow and sawing up fallen trees to have thought this out ;)

The Raiders are in a huge bind right now. Let's use their futility to our advantage. Neither Moss nor Porter wishes to remain a Raider and have been publicly vocal about it which isn't helping a team that is crumbling in front of everyones eyes. Tell the Raiders that we only trade for one of them if the other is involved. They won't get a better offering than this one from any other team so offer up both 1st's for the two of them and then settle in for a few years of league domination. Any bad Raider PR that results from trading away these guys can easily be offset by throwing in the fact that they now have 3 1st round picks with which to rebuild with. Any sane Raider fan knows that they need to rebuild. What better way to do so then with 3 1st rounders. I'm very comfortable relying on the Pats coaching staff and it's numerous vets acclimating Moss and Porter to the winning ways of life as a New England Patriot.

Brady would do backflips from here to eternity if he had Moss and Porter as his primary targets. Throw best bud Gabriel into the Moss/Porter mix and you've got instant passing domination and then some. With Moss and Porter added the Pats offense would be set for the next several years meaning they could use the next two years worth of draft picks to shore up the back 7/8 as needed.

No thanks. Those guys are nothing but headaches, and I wouldn't trade a #1 pick for either. Right now, I'd give them a #4, and take a chance on Porter. That would be a boom or bust trade. The Raiders and Porter are in a worse situation we were in with Branch, no way they get a #1 for Porter now. I wouldn't be suprised if he get's cut outright, and then winds up out of the league. As far as Moss, no way would I trade for him, period.

Trading both 1sts for Moss and Porter would be silly, sorry. Most particularly because it wouldn't come remotely close to giving us "years of league domination".

It's a lot of pickage and, thanks to Moss, a lot of cash as well.

Moreover there would be a huge "newness factor" for the two WRs this year as well.

Not to mention the mental questions.

Trading for Porter (if we trust his head) or Moss (ditto, AND if his contract can be reworked) might make sense. Trading for both only makes sense if they come muy cheap.

I'd rather chase WRs in FA next year than trade a 1st for Moss, this year aside.

put me in the list "NO THANKS"

Belisarius said:
Trading both 1sts for Moss and Porter would be silly, sorry. Most particularly because it wouldn't come remotely close to giving us "years of league domination".

It's a lot of pickage and, thanks to Moss, a lot of cash as well.

Moreover there would be a huge "newness factor" for the two WRs this year as well.

Not to mention the mental questions.

Trading for Porter (if we trust his head) or Moss (ditto, AND if his contract can be reworked) might make sense. Trading for both only makes sense if they come muy cheap.

I'd rather chase WRs in FA next year than trade a 1st for Moss, this year aside.
Hey, Beli. Long time no talk. Nice to see you around these parts.

Don't sweat the newness factor. We have tons of time before the playoffs are upon us. That's loads of time for vets like Moss and Porter to get acclimated. Heck, if rookie WR's can figure this gig out in a couple months time it might take 2 weeks tops for seasoned vets like Moss and Porter to figure it out. Think Colston and Jennings and you'll fel much better. Besides it's not Tom would have to do much more than just toss the ball up for these guys to catch it, never mind use them as decoys and fire it to Watson all game long ;)

Obviously any trade would have to be contingent on a contract re-shuffle. For both Moss and Porter. But heck, we barely have any $ tiedup in our WR corps as it is surely we could afford to add some cap $ to this skilll position?

From a pure skill perspective no way in heck we'd get comparable talent to Moss and Porter with two late 1st's. We probably wouldn't even get it with two early 1st's.

Anyhow, hope to see you sticking around more, Beli :singing:

no thanks as well....an espn.com analyst once said....earlier this year....

the new england patriots are to wide receivers as the denver broncos are to running backs....

shanohan has an eye for running backs and BB has an eye for wide receivers and i trust, given some time, that brown, jackson, gabriel, gaffney, and caldwell are good enough...it just takes time for the adjustment

the patriots wide outs we have now arent busts yet to the point where we'd consider trading a 1st or 2nd round pick for moss or porter....i'd consider a 2nd or 3rd for moss and a 4th for porter at most...but if i was the GM or owner for the pats, i'd trust BB's drafting ability more than moss and porter anyday

skaIownsIyou said:
no thanks as well....an espn.com analyst once said....earlier this year....

the new england patriots are to wide receivers as the denver broncos are to running backs....

shanohan has an eye for running backs and BB has an eye for wide receivers
Yeah, I remember reading that, and it's just way too homerific, even for me, to swallow. The David Terrell's, Bethel Johnson's, and P.K. Sam's come to mind. BB is good at using the strengths of the recievers he has, but he's not magical with picking WRs.

But I agree with you on your first part... no thanks to the Crazy Canuck's whacky plan. :D

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yeah, I remember reading that, and it's just way too homerific, even for me, to swallow. The David Terrell's, Bethel Johnson's, and P.K. Sam's come to mind. BB is good at using the strengths of the recievers he has, but he's not magical with picking WRs.

But I agree with you on your first part... no thanks to the Crazy Canuck's whacky plan. :D
Ah, cmon, T. I always pegged you as a gambler type.

Tell me truthfully, if you woke up tommorrow and the Pats had traded their 32nd pick and the Seahawks 28th picks in next years draft for Moss and Porter would you not do cartwheels all the way down to your local pub? Heck, if you kept going I'd invite you on over to the Canadian ballet (the same one Law and company liked to frequent after Bills games) and hook you up with your fav ****tails of choice for the entire evening :rocker:

Bobs My Uncle said:
Ah, cmon, T. I always pegged you as a gambler type.

Tell me truthfully, if you woke up tommorrow and the Pats had traded their 32nd pick and the Seahawks 28th picks in next years draft for Moss and Porter would you not do cartwheels all the way down to your local pub? Heck, if you kept going I'd invite you on over to the Canadian ballet and hook you up with your fav ****tails of choice for the entire evening :rocker:
:D The thought of ONE might intrigue me... and if Belichick pulled the trigger, it would mean that he doesn't share the concerns I have (for one of them). So, yeah that would be exciting (maybe not cartwheels for 20 miles to the Canadian border, but still..) but BOTH of them? No, that would strike me as somewhere between desperation and insanity. :)

Besides, I want those picks for defense, baby.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
:D The thought of ONE might intrigue me... and if Belichick pulled the trigger, it would mean that he doesn't share the concerns I have (for one of them). So, yeah that would be exciting (maybe not cartwheels for 20 miles to the Canadian border, but still..) but BOTH of them? No, that would strike me as somewhere between desperation and insanity. :)

Besides, I want those picks for defense, baby.
Defense, schmefense. BB is a defensive genius. He don't need no stinking stud players on that side of the ball to excel. Besides, in my scenario I'm giving him the rest of the draft to get an ILB, a CB and a safety. And that doesn't even include free agency, where I suspect he'll be going for his LB anyhow.

I'm proposing both 1st's because I believe it's the only way I think we'll be able to get Moss from the Raiders. I see it as us trading two 1st's for Moss and them throwing in Porter for good measure :rocker:

For the content in question ...... 20 miles is peanuts man.

I don't see how the Raiders could possibly deal both Moss and Porter at the same time - who would they have left at WR? If anything, they'll deal Porter, and due to the recent circumstances, at a discount rate - but I would think they've been shopping Porter for awhile now, and for whatever reason, he's still in Oakland.

I was justreadi in yesterday's Contra Costa Times out here where Porter sounded kinda humble and said he's just practicing, doing what he's supposed to be doing and hoping to be made active again. IN fact in the same story Shell said:

" He's working. It's not that he's not working," Shell said earlier this week. "I've never said he hasn't worked. He's doing what he's asked to do and you can't ask for anything more than that."

Kinda makes me think something must have happened since these things were said.

PatsSteve1 said:
I was justreadi in yesterday's Contra Costa Times out here where Porter sounded kinda humble and said he's just practicing, doing what he's supposed to be doing and hoping to be made active again. IN fact in the same story Shell said:

" He's working. It's not that he's not working," Shell said earlier this week. "I've never said he hasn't worked. He's doing what he's asked to do and you can't ask for anything more than that."

Kinda makes me think something must have happened since these things were said.

Probably because they're hoping to get some value in return for dealing Porter - therefore put out some positive PR about him

DCPatsFan said:
Probably because they're hoping to get some value in return for dealing Porter - therefore put out some positive PR about him

I would think suspending him would kinda negate that now , no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes