PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders sent the 5 day letter to Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cancer ward?

I don't think so. Have you ever been to a cancer ward?

No 325 Linemen, no 285 lb LB's, no one healthy at all actually.

I have been there as a patient and I would ask that you think before you post.

He was referencing the longtime cliche "lockerroom cancer."

I think everyone appreciates your struggle and the struggles of many others with cancer; everyone has a family member who either died or struggled with it (myself included). He was making a joke; surely meant no offense.

I understand bristling at it because of what you went through, but there's no comedy if all subjects that may make someone uncomfortable are off limits.

Assuming Seymour isn't just going postal, talk radio has speculated that he is either wanting a re-write of his contract, getting a Haynesworth-neighborhood deal, or he is refusing to go unless he has a written contract saying he won't be franchised. The latter is unlikely; it would put the Raiders in 2011 without Seymour or a 1st rd pick. Even Al would be ready to hang it up once that sunk in. Another option would be a 2 or 3 yr big money re-write of his current deal. It would save face for Richard, (IMO, a very important factor after being jilted by BB), and would leave him with one more shot at the money tree, while getting the Raiders through a potentially tough time in a possibly uncapped league. The worst outcome for both would be the Raiders enforcing the 5-day letter. While the Raiders would still retain the rights to Seymour they could be without his services indefinitely, until they traded them to some other team for a 3 or 4 rd. pick. ( Although they could probably get a 2 from Magini.)

For the league to step in and resolve this situation by nullifying the trade after they approved it is highly unlikely. The Pats are happily out of the picture. The onus for the resolution of this situation is squarely on Seymour. Somehow, the Raiders must convince him to come to Oakland. If not, the free-fall that the organization is in will accelerate even faster.

Globe's Gasper now has link to Adam Schefter's Tweets. One tweet confirms that the 5 day letter did in fact go out tonight. Another tweet confirms that this equates to the Raiders admitting that Seymour is their property.

Last edited:
He was referencing the longtime cliche "lockerroom cancer."

I think everyone appreciates your struggle and the struggles of many others with cancer; everyone has a family member who either died or struggled with it (myself included). He was making a joke; surely meant no offense.

I understand bristling at it because of what you went through, but there's no comedy if all subjects that may make someone uncomfortable are off limits.

What he said was the team was a cancer ward. I don't see how that projects to a locker room cancer. I would ask the poster I quoted to visit his local cancer ward, then lets see him make a joke about it.

I guess its the unless you walk a mile in my shoes thing.

Comedy does not equal cancer in any way.

A cancer ward is only funny to someone who has never been there.

What he said was the team was a cancer ward. I don't see how that projects to a locker room cancer. I would ask the poster I quoted to visit his local cancer ward, then lets see him make a joke about it.

I absolutely agree with that. If you look at what he responded to, someone said something to the effect of "is Richard Seymour a locker room cancer before he even gets there?" He then made his remark that he'll fit right in, as the whole locker room is as such.

I do not mean to offend you, and hope he did not with his post. I was merely trying to point out that I did not think the posters intention was to make light of a vicious illness. I also probably used a poor choice by making reference to comedy, as I did not laugh at his post. I was merely stating that my interpretation of what he said was not to be taken literally. Sorry if I upset you, my aim is not to irritate people on this board as we all share a common pastime.

I've been there more than once as a patient as well as a cancer patient supporter. It doesn't make me any more (or less) relevant than you. I got through cancer the way I now get through all things in life that are tough to deal with: Learn to laugh at myself no matter how messed up I may be, take every challenge head on and with everything I have, live life to it's fullest and finally- live and let live.

I don't think the poster meant to insult cancer patients and you can pursue this as you see fit- but if you need to "educate" them maybe email them instead of doing it here. Just a thought.

Peace to you.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with that. If you look at what he responded to, someone said something to the effect of "is Richard Seymour a locker room cancer before he even gets there?" He then made his remark that he'll fit right in, as the whole locker room is as such.

I do not mean to offend you, and hope he did not with his post. I was merely trying to point out that I did not think the posters intention was to make light of a vicious illness. I also probably used a poor choice by making reference to comedy, as I did not laugh at his post. I was merely stating that my interpretation of what he said was not to be taken literally. Sorry if I upset you, my aim is not to irritate people on this board as we all share a common pastime.

OK dude, I didn't mean for the thread to get off topic.

Watching a 13 year old girl die with cancer right now. She is in the cancer ward.

Nothing funny about it.

I am out of this thread, sorry folks.

Globe's Gasper now has link to Adam Schefter's Tweets. One tweet confirms that the 5 day letter did in fact go out tonight. Another tweet confirms that this equates to the Raiders admitting that Seymour is their property.

This is very good news. I'm hesitant to assume the pick is officially ours now until I see something from "an official source"- but this is the best news on this issue I've heard so far.

OK dude, I didn't mean for the thread to get off topic.

Watching a 13 year old girl die with cancer right now. She is in the cancer ward.

Nothing funny about it.

I am out of this thread, sorry folks.

Wow, someone tell me where I said that was funny. I was pretty clear that it was not. Was simply defending someone else's comments for being taken out of context. It is interesting though, that Brady to Brown would find time to post about the Patriots while simultaneously watching a horrific event. I'm not sure that's the best way to lend support.

Hey, I'm happy that the Richard Seymour situation may be resolved soon though!

Last edited:
Wow, someone tell me where I said that was funny. I was pretty clear that it was not. Was simply defending someone else's comments for being taken out of context. It is interesting though, that Brady to Brown would find time to post about the Patriots while simultaneously watching a horrific event. I'm not sure that's the best way to lend support.

Its midnight and she is in the hospital what would you like me to do?

You never had cancer, this post shows me that.

This is very good news. I'm hesitant to assume the pick is officially ours now until I see something from "an official source"- but this is the best news on this issue I've heard so far.

I don't see how we couldn't get the first rounder. Unless there is a clause about games played or something, I would assume that the raiders get seymours rights and we get the pick.

The only people that know for sure are the ones that have atctually read the contract.

I've been there more than once as a patient as well as a cancer patient supporter. It doesn't make me any more (or less) relevant than you. I got through cancer the way I now get through all things in life that are tough to deal with: Learn to laugh at myself no matter how messed up I may be, take every challenge head on and with everything I have, live life to it's fullest and finally- live and let live.

I don't think the poster meant to insult cancer patients and you can pursue this as you see fit- but if you need to "educate" them maybe email them instead of doing it here. Just a thought.

Peace to you.

Supremely well put, Reckedtrek. Good luck to yourself and Brady to Brown dealing with something I hope I never have to.

I don't see how we couldn't get the first rounder. Unless there is a clause about games played or something, I would assume that the raiders get seymours rights and we get the pick.

The only people that know for sure are the ones that have atctually read the contract.

My thoughts as well. How can they send the letter if they are not the owners of his rights?

Trust me- sometimes you need to get away (or as far as your mind will let you) from it, even if it's for 20 minutes. He's probably here to think about anything else for a bit and then this pops up in a thread- my sympathies go out to him and anyone involved. He's gone now and what's the point in continuing this, hijacking this thread? I don't know you or B2B, but since he's gone I'm asking you to please just let it go.

My thoughts as well. How can they send the letter if they are not the owners of his rights?

They own him and the next time we play them I hope Seabass beats RS like he owes him money. What a mess. I keep wondering why we deal with the Raiders, but then i realize we usually come out (way) on top! :D

They own him and the next time we play them I hope Seabass beats RS like he owes him money. What a mess. I keep wondering why we deal with the Raiders, but then i realize we usually come out (way) on top! :D

I would expect Seymour to have a good game against us. He is one of the top D lineman in the league when he plays all out. I believe he will play all out this season for a new contract. Same for any time he plays against us also.

I think he never really thought he would be traded like this, and he is still coming to grips with reality.

As for the raiders, while I think we got the better part of the deal, I don't think they got raped. They have a VERY motivated Seymour. Thier D can do something this year. They play in a crappy division, so they may be abe to come out on top. The raiders may be thinking that Richard can play out his contract, and then they can frachise him the following year. If there is a lockout, they may not want to have seymour locked up for multiple years at big money. How good would an older seymour who hasn't played in at least a year be? Probably not worth big money is my guess.

Also, I think we got taken on the Burgess deal.

Trust me- sometimes you need to get away (or as far as your mind will let you) from it, even if it's for 20 minutes. He's probably here to think about anything else for a bit and then this pops up in a thread- my sympathies go out to him and anyone involved. He's gone now and what's the point in continuing this, hijacking this thread? I don't know you or B2B, but since he's gone I'm asking you to please just let it go.

Agreed, and I certainly did not mean to hijack anything. Really was just trying to defend myself from coming off like a jerk, I have no ill will towards him (or anyone else here for that matter) at all.

As for the next time that Richard Seymour and the Patriots see each other, Seabass better get him early. Because if the rosters are anything similar to the way they are now, Seymour will only play the first half or so to save him up for the next week, when they may actually have a chance at a win. I can see being upset if you're Seymour about going from the penthouse to the outhouse, but report and do your job. Lift another team with your play.

I would expect Seymour to have a good game against us. He is one of the top D lineman in the league when he plays all out. I believe he will play all out this season for a new contract. Same for any time he plays against us also.

I think he never really thought he would be traded like this, and he is still coming to grips with reality.

As for the raiders, while I think we got the better part of the deal, I don't think they got raped. They have a VERY motivated Seymour. Thier D can do something this year. They play in a crappy division, so they may be abe to come out on top. The raiders may be thinking that Richard can play out his contract, and then they can frachise him the following year. If there is a lockout, they may not want to have seymour locked up for multiple years at big money. How good would an older seymour who hasn't played in at least a year be? Probably not worth big money is my guess.

Also, I think we got taken on the Burgess deal.

While I think it's too early to tell either way, I doubt that the front office got taken here. They got him for a 3rd and a 5th, if I am remembering right. We've seen what a 5th gets in terms of veteran talent, and if Burgess can provide an edge rush this year--which I think he still can--then it's well worth that price. Even with Seymour the last few years, they have had far too little pressure on the quarterback for my money when they aren't ahead by 28.

I think Seymour will be plenty motivated though, if he reports, which I assume he will.

Last edited:
Hopefully this is just trying to keep what is going on between Seymour and the raiders private.

I just can't imagine the raiders being fine with Seymour pouting in New England when he is supposed to be getting ready for Monday. Unless Seymour and oakland are actually working on something else, they would be braindead NOT to send the letter. I understand they are the raiders, but I can't imagine them screwing this up! I mean, I can, but it's not easy.

As for the Burgess deal, I just haven't been impressed so far. Considering we haven't even played a game I admit I am being totally premature!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes