PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders pre-game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Raiders discussion

2. Will Ridley get a shot at being the feature back.

Ridley will not become the feature back anytime soon, until he understands how to read blitz pickup and how to play out of playaction.

Every time he has been in there, it has been a run play, and that's how it will be for a while.

In Gronk's first year, he completely whiffed on a blitz pickup and only Fred Taylor's presence of mind to drop out of a dumpoff route in a split second saved Brady from being seriously injured on a safety blitz that was completely unimpended. I remember that play clearly, but not which game, though.

Didn't McFadden suffer a groin injury sunday?

Key for the Pats is the TE. We have no answer for TE's right now or backs out of the backfield. So Brady has to get them the ball and get it to them fast or it could be a long night for Brady but I doubt that.

Gronkowski is gonna have a huge night! I'm talking Mergatron numbers!!!

that richard seymour is a beast on defense, why cant the patriots get a guy like that???? oh wait a minute....:rolleyes:

This should be the top thread right now. Its wendsday, there should be more raiders post than bills post.

that richard seymour is a beast on defense, why cant the patriots get a guy like that???? oh wait a minute....:rolleyes:

We dont need him because we'd rather save that money and use it on all pros like OchoStinko, Haynesworth since we know these players bring the winning attitude from Bengals and Redskins respectively

Key for the Pats is the TE. We have no answer for TE's right now or backs out of the backfield. So Brady has to get them the ball and get it to them fast or it could be a long night for Brady but I doubt that.

Gronkowski is gonna have a huge night! I'm talking Mergatron numbers!!!

Depends on if M huff is back. If raiders put M huff on the te, i think he would do a very good job on Te and serious doubt the TE would go off.

Also Mike Mitchell will make his debut this week. I expect to see Mitchell and Jerome boyd play lb together when raiders go big nickel. Both I see occassionaly coming on delay safety blitz.

a 4- 2 - 5 defense (really 7 dbs) Almost force the patriots to run the football.

Ridley will not become the feature back anytime soon, until he understands how to read blitz pickup and how to play out of playaction.

Every time he has been in there, it has been a run play, and that's how it will be for a while.

That's not true. Watch the replay. He was in on at least two passing plays. One he caught for an 8 yard gain and another he picked up the middle LB coming through the right A-Gap and stoned him. Brady completed a pass to I believe Welker, pretty good odds on my memory being right since every pass seemed to be to him, for a first down.

Now is he ready to do it on an every down basis? Hard to say but you do have a good point.

Sounds crazy after the last games, but I say we won't give up more than 17 points...gotta go out on a limb once in a while!

17 Points a Quarter? Half? Game? :eek:

Watching some of the Raiders vs Jets game and I have to say I'm really concerned with how that line is going to slow down McFadden. I thought they would go 3-4 and Warren returning reinforces that. It should make the reads more natural for the linebackers since they've played more in that system but I'm concerned with the ends and OLBs setting the edge and containing him.

I have not seen the Raiders this year. Traditionally they are very committed to single coverage on wide receivers, which Tom will destroy if he has any time. Are they still this way, or do they play some more zone on occasion?

I believed in McFadden coming out of college. There were a lot of McFadden doubters then. But now he has finally blossomed into an elite player after his first year being under inept management that used him too infrequently, McFadden is the one offensive weapon the Pats must gameplan for and shut down. The thing about top rushing attacks though, is not the yardage, it's the fact that they will eat up the clock and win the time of possession (TOP) battle. If McFadden is carrying the ball, that will be that much less time for Brady and the offense to be in the field. Therefore our defense must stop the RUN first. If that happens, Brady will get his chances and I like our odds of winning in a shootout. But it really starts with the defense and stopping that running game or at the very least 'containing' it to something manageable.

Depends on if M huff is back. If raiders put M huff on the te, i think he would do a very good job on Te and serious doubt the TE would go off.

Also Mike Mitchell will make his debut this week. I expect to see Mitchell and Jerome boyd play lb together when raiders go big nickel. Both I see occassionaly coming on delay safety blitz.

a 4- 2 - 5 defense (really 7 dbs) Almost force the patriots to run the football.

You really think Michael Huff can stop Gronkowski? :eek: Keep dreaming. No single player can cover the Gronk. It will take at least double coverage to bottle him up. And if the Raiders will give us the running game, we're gonna get to see more of what Ridley can do. I still see huge games coming for Gronk and Welker. The only question is, can other players on offense step up as targets next week.

Last edited:

Our offensive line against Seymour and Kelly will be the deciding factor in this game. I really don't think this Raider defense is made to stop a team like ours. People seem to forget that Sanchez threw for a ton and he is a average QB passing at will.

People are scared ****less over McFadden and I don't see why. So what if he breaks a 70 yarder and scores? Is he going to do that 3 times in one game? If he does than this team just sucks and will probably go 10-6 and deservedly so. He's gonna get his for sure unless this team moves to a different scheme and can play it effectively to stop the run but I don't think they will be able to stop our offense in the process.

Their receiving core is up and coming. The Moore is kid is dangerous and very multifaceted. Heyward Bey is sloppy but still a deep line threat with hand like stone. Play a zone, let McCourty,Bodden and Arrington keep the wr's infront of them and see if this helps.

Prediction. 48-17 Pats in a hostile environment..all the haters chewing on their tails.

Last edited:

I have not seen the Raiders this year. Traditionally they are very committed to single coverage on wide receivers, which Tom will destroy if he has any time. Are they still this way, or do they play some more zone on occasion?

Raiders are playing more zone these days with their starting Cb chris Johnson out.

JMO I think your going to see raiders in a big nickel alot this game

4 DLineman(Raiders play nine guys on Dline- rotating freely) 2 LBs SMike Mitchell as rover LB and MLB Rolando mcClain (sometimes s Jerome Boyd)

with five DB's Stanford routt and Chekwa at CB with Fs M Huff and Ss Tyvon Branch DVD/ Porter- will be the extra Db if the patriots go with three wr's , Boyd or Giodando if patiots have two rbs in back field.

I think raiders are going to rush their front four most of the game but occassionally i see cb and safeties blitzes coming off the corner.

You really think Michael Huff can stop Gronkowski? :eek: Keep dreaming. No single player can cover the Gronk. It will take at least double coverage to bottle him up. And if the Raiders will give us the running game, we're gonna get to see more of what Ridley can do. I still see huge games coming for Gronk and Welker. The only question is, can other players on offense step up as targets next week.

Agreed on Gronk. Even Revis would have trouble because they would throw over him. I think the Raiders are going to try to take Welker away with a combination of Mclain and the nickle corner. That will be interesting.

I hope Ridley gets a shot.

They key to a pats victory is Gronkowski. We simply cannot cover a TE to save our lives. Dink and Dunk cause we cant cover that either. Its hit or miss with RB out of the backfield, either we stop it or its a big gainer. We are a bend but don't break D against the Run.

Raiders need to run the ball run the clock and hit the man in front of you as hard as they can and hope they don't get hit as hard in return if this happens we have a shot to win. It how we beat the Jets.

Raider win if its a close game or Pat in a blow out!

Last edited:

Not here to trash talk to Pats fan. Only here to discuss the upcoming game vs the Pats. I do see Brady coming out firing on all cylinders using 4 WR sets with quick passes. Raiders have really struggled against the short passing game and it showed vs Buffalo. To minimize the Raiders pass rush its all about 3 step drops and quick passes which the Pats are really good at and I see them doing it successfully against us.

As for my Raiders we need to run the ball well and we have been. We run the ball well and keep Brady off the field for as long as we can. Campbell can produce if the run game gets going. If the Raiders can somehow get to Brady and then that will be even better. Remember the Raiders mostly man to man defense most of the game. They might play a little zone but expect man to man most of the time. One more point is our D-Line is what makes our defense go and they can rush the passer as well as anybody.

Thats all for now Pats fans. Good Luck on Sunday.

Fair analysis and I like the way you presented it, as a fan of the game as well as your team. Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back