PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders owner Al Davis passes away at age 82

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Al.. did not always like what you did, but liked the fact that you helped start this whole thing and always did it your way.

Sorry to see him go. Condolences to family and loved ones.

Fitting that Al Davis' last game is a loss to the New England Patriots. The Patriots were robbed in the 1976 playoffs by the refs and the Raiders, the '85 Patriots won a huge wild card game over the Raiders and the most infamous NFL playoff game ever was the "Snow Bowl" over Jon Gruden's Raiders - the last game at that old firetrap Schaefer Stadium with the Tuck Rule and launch of the Brady-Belichick dynasty. Poetic end to a bizarre and twisted life.

Thank you, Al Davis, for Randy Moss and for taking Richard Seymour's salary.

My guess is that when they read the will, the Patriots will be the heir to every draft choice the Raiders have left which are, I believe, a 3rd rounder in 2019 and 6th rounder in 2031. Al Davis traded away all the rest.

Last edited:
RIP

How fitting that his final game was against one of his oldest "AFL" rivals in the stadium where he built his legacy.

I think an objective look at Davis by Pats fans would divide his career into three parts.

The first, his role in building the AFL to the point of the merger. We owe him a debt of gratitude.

The second, his role in building the Oakland teams of the 1970's and early '80s. Let's face it, as Pats fans we had issues with some of those teams that went beyond their performance on the field and got into "character," but they did win three Lombardi's, one of which many of us still believe Ben Dreith took from us.

The third, his declining years of confused management and bad decisions on and off the field. De mortuis nil nisi bonum.

Last edited:
Certainly one of the more entertaining owners; always kept things interesting; always good for an opinionated discussion. RIP.

The face of the Raiders gone.

RIP Al Davis.

Many people called him "Crazy Al" for how he ran the Raiders. For his multiple lawsuits against the NFL for supposed infringement (The TB Bucs Pirate, the Black and silver parts of the Panthers uniforms, the LA/Oakland debacles) but the guy was very business savy..

He'll be missed. God Speed Al... The Original Raider..

Rip Coach.
The NFL would not be the same without you. And I think it is fitting that it looks like your raiders are on the way up, just win baby.

Very sad news, RIP.

It was obvious he lost a lot off his fast ball in the later years, but in his heyday there was probably no better owner. More than that, his contribution to this great league we have cannot be understated.

R.I.P. Al

Might of been a bit out of touch in recent years but, one of the all time great owners. 3 championships and some great years. RIP

Re: OT: Al Davis has passed away!

Dude had one hell of a life and always lived it his his terms.
Travel safe old boy!

Word

Theyll never be another like Al.

RIP

How long before Belichick gets blamed for this?

RIP Al

Is it just me or does the young Al Davis look a lot like Tom E Curran?

Rest in Peace, Al Davis

the man who was MOST responsible for the merger of the AFL and the NFL in the mid sixties

Everybody knew it wasn't far down the road, but it is still a "whoooaa" moment when you read that it happened.

Definitely an NFL icon...and well deserved.

Best wishes to his family and the Raider's organization.

I am betting and hoping that the games Sunday have a moment of silence for Mr. Davis...he deserves it.

His son now takes over the Raiders.

Really sad news.

For newer fans, Davis seemed like a crazy old man. But look back at his history in the game. How many other owners have coached their teams to a Super Bowl? And as GM when their team won a Super Bowl? There were also his contributions to the AFL when the NFL was forced to take the new league seriously and eventually led to the merger.

He was a true hall of famer who succeeded at several different levels, from coaching to GM to owner.

Here's another link in case anyone wants it...

Raiders owner Al Davis dies at 82

I am shocked. This reminds me of when my mom died - we knew it was coming, but when it happened it just came out of nowhere.

It's no secret I haven't been much of a fan of "Mr. Burns" (as we called him on Patriots Planet, after the character on The Simpsons) the last 10 years. However, there's no argument that he was a brilliant, forward-thinking man who helped mold the NFL into what it is today. Though he and Lamar Hunt were complete opposites in terms of personality, Hunt's decision to make Davis the AFL commissioner when he did helped end the war and save both leagues. It was the perfect "good cop, bad cop" routine. Hunt presented the civil, reasonable face of the AFL, but Davis's actions made it clear they wouldn't let the NFL push them around either.

And let's be honest, how many other coaches have gone on to own the team?! George Halas was one, but that was a different situation.

The problem, of course, is that a few years after moving his club to L.A., Davis really started losing it, and his club was pretty much lousy ever since. He got rid of the best coach he hired in that period, Jon Gruden, because Gruden wouldn't toe the line - he emphasized a strong ground game, and (horrors!) got the team out of the mindset that they should always be the most penalized team in the league. Needless to say, that decision bit Davis in the a** something fierce.

In a way, he's kinda like Brett Favre - a brilliant career marred by some very bad public decisions, particularly near the end. Hopefully in time he will be remembered more for his accomplishments than his big failures.

For newer fans, Davis seemed like a crazy old man. But look back at his history in the game. How many other owners have coached their teams to a Super Bowl?

Even though Lombardi's Packers trounced the Raiders in Super Bowl II, a lot of Packers players told the Raiders players after the game, "You guys are going to be very good soon, you just need a little more experience." And they were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes