PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Linebacker, Rolando McClain: "This (Patriots) is just a finesse team..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolando McClain is 100% correct. Like it or not, but the Patriots are the Colts of the early 00's.

Unless this defense makes massive improvements in a hurry this team isn't going anywhere.

You might want to rethink that analogy.
Why?

Multiple DBs on the field, jam the WRs at the line and rough up the QB and you win. Same formula as in 2001.

LOL. Truth be told 3 losses is not out of the realm of possibility if this D continues to be this poor. Raiders are no joke so far.

Also Rolando is 100% correct. This D is soft as puppy **** and could not stop a HS team from scoring on them.

The offense is as soft as the defense.

It's a finesse league

Rolando McClain is 100% correct. Like it or not, but the Patriots are the Colts of the early 00's.

Unless this defense makes massive improvements in a hurry this team isn't going anywhere.

Who is our mathis and freeney who when you have a lead just make the QB scared?

i am waiting .......

Are you crazy, really this is what it has come to? You are so wrong.

The Patriots are more like the 2002-2008 Colts.

No, youre mistaken. Here are the facts.

The 2001 Rams were # 1 passing and # 3 rushing.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2001 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

The 2011 Pats are # 1 passing and # 3 rushing.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

The 2010 Pats were # 1 passing and #2 rushing.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

Could it be that the Raiders have looked at Film and see that the Pats are a finesse team. The Raiders are looking better and better.

This may not be an easy game for the Pats. The Pats better put 2 OL on Seymour.

Tom Kelly no joke at the other Dt position. You can double seymour but that leaves tom kelly one on one. Thatsa a problem. Raiders will rotate 9 dlineman all game substituting quite frequently. They go very deep and that dline will be very fresh in the fourth quarter.

BTw I hope Mcclain dosen't do this to Woodhead(who is a mismatch against McClain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4aAAyVXoI&feature=related

Last edited:
Why?

Multiple DBs on the field, jam the WRs at the line and rough up the QB and you win. Same formula as in 2001.

Because the 2011 Patriots are not very similar to the 2001 Rams?

Because the 2011 Patriots are not very similar to the 2001 Rams?

This is true. That 2001 Rams team had a much better defense.

Steelers play a balanced attack of pass and run. Pats are pass first then run

2011 Steelers : 57% Pass, 43% Run
2011 Patriots : 65% Pass, 35% Run

Steelers also play ball control since they have the best Defense in the league for past many years, especially shutting down opposing teams run game. This affords them mixing up run and pass

Steelers of past 8 years are smashmouth football - be it Bettis, Willie Parker, Zeroue, Deuce Staley, Davenport, Mwelde Moore, Mendenhall. This pays off in cold weather games and come playoff time. Patriots do no have such RB's or focus. It is your juking style RB's they prefer since Running is afterthought. Since Corey Dillion year they never had a RB or attempted to get one with the sole focus to tell D we are going to ram it down your throat and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Just having yards does not mean much. 2010 Pats outrushed Steelers by 30-40 yards, which statistically is negligible over 16 games.

2008 Patriots rushed for 2300 yards. Can you name the leading rusher ? or say they had a dominant rusher or 2 that could control the game ? Also, this was the year brady was knocked out. Suffice to say if he was not out Patriots would NOT have rushed for close to 2300 yards. It would have been Brady to Moss show again following up on 2007 season

At the end of the day running the ball is not about yards, rather can you control the game, can you control the opposing team psyche, can you dictate possession by possession strategy (run then switch to pass). Patriots do not have commitment to run - its always and afterthought.

Patriots of all teams should know that from 1-2 years of Clock killin Corey Dillon. It's not the 1600 yards he gained, rather the amount of time he allowed the Defense to be rested come 4th Quarter of games

While I 100% agree with you and everyone else who claims the Pats need more balance to the Offense, I'm not sure that the main reason is to keep the defense fresh. It's not like the passing offense is struggling and ending up with lots of 3 and outs without burning any time on the clock. They are marching down the field and scoring. The only argument I CAN see however is that they maybe score "too quickly" at times. My point is, even while the Pats are a pass happy team, the clock is still moving because Brady is completing the passes...Running the ball would allow the offense to take longer to score though, which would be the goal to run the ball IMO.

Hopefully I worded that in a way that makes sense...

"OK so I want to show you a video of what the Raiders are thinking. They put this up on their website for everybody to see so watch this........The Patriots are a finesse team. I want you all to think about that tonight before you go to bed. The Patriots are a soft finesse team."

Excerpt from a coaches life part III best of the bulletin board material.
I'm not sure this is really great bulletin board material, it's not really something that isn't known. Plus, I really discount the whole "bulletin board" concept, at least more than a lot of people do. In the recent playoff losses the last few years, we faced some of the greatest bulletin board providers in the Ravens and Jets and it appeared to have little effect to the Patriots as they didn't come out with a "fire" or chip on their shoulder in those games.

It may affect one player more than another, and I am glad that BB has a policy of not giving people that kind of motivational material. But even that being said I just don't put as much stock into it as some people do.

Last edited:
McClain is a twit!

I'm not sure this is really great bulletin board material, it's not really something that isn't known. Plus, I really discount the whole "bulletin board" concept, at least more than a lot of people do. In the recent playoff losses the last few years, we faced some of the greatest bulletin board providers in the Ravens and Jets and it appeared to have little effect to the Patriots as they didn't come out with a "fire" or chip on their shoulder in those games.

It may affect one player more than another, and I am glad that BB has a policy of not giving people that kind of motivational material. But even that being said I just don't put as much stock into it as some people do.

you might not have watched the recent documentary, but BB does use this material...now the team might still not be able to execute during the game, but thats a different matter

Well he's right. That was some awful over-finesse football by the Pats last Sunday.

McClain is a twit!

McClain is right on the money, the current Pats team is just a bad impression of the Colt's teams that would lose early in the playoffs every year.

Just because it hurts doesnt means it's not true.

Full quote by Raiders Linebacker, Rolando McClain, talking about the Patriots:

"This is just a finesse team. Brady's a smart guy, has many weapons."

BOB, please take note.

Thank you.

Well, I'm glad that he said this. Because if the Pats don't get up for this game and punch the Raiders in the mouth now, then we'll know that he's pretty much right. Somehow, though, I think that we will...

Okay a couple things:

- If we're talking about being a pass-first team, the Pats are a finesse team and have been for their whole history.

Sam Cunningham sends his regards. :rolleyes:

Full quote by Raiders Linebacker, Rolando McClain, talking about the Patriots:

"This is just a finesse team. Brady's a smart guy, has many weapons."

BOB, please take note.

Thank you.

It's hard to argue against this. The Pats are hardly what I would call a 'ground & pound' team. I'm pretty disappointed in our defense as well. It's time for BB to stop with looking for value and find some playmakers. Hey Bill, it ain't working on defense at all, and our running game not so much! Don't care about running? OK, but fix the shoddy defense as it is just awful.

Last edited:
Dude I'm right there with you. This defense is just not even close to a championship caliber defense.

When a lot of ppl on here wanted Lamar Woodley, we get Brandon Meriweather cuz Woodley is two flippin inches too short.

When a lot of ppl on here wanted Carols Dunlap, we get Jermaine Cunningham cuz Dunlap doesn't fit the defense.

When a lot of ppl on here wanted Muhammad Wilkerson, we trade back yet again and sign his predescesor Shaun Ellis.

I'm getting SO SICK AND TIRED of not drafting front seven guys early because for whatever reason they don't fit EXACTLY what we're looking for. Then they go on to have great careers. And I know a bunch of you are gonna say oh yeah well they didn't fit the defense blah blah blah I'm gulping the koolaid blah blah blah. It's all bull, and you all know it deep down.

Seriously, if the Pats don't acquire a front seven guy in free agency or EARLY in the draft (and no Jermaine Cunningcrap and Brandon Spucks don't suffice) next year I probably won't even accept the season tickets I'm supposedly being presented for the first time.

I thought this was a terrible post right up until I got to 'Cunningcrap' and the empty threat to not accept your season tickets. That'll show them! They only have like a 10 year waiting list behind you.

On a side note, would anyone call the Packers and Saints smashmouth teams? Because they have kinda won the last two SBs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back