PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Linebacker, Rolando McClain: "This (Patriots) is just a finesse team..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he talking about the offense or defense? If it's directed towards the defense, I agree. They're a bunch of ****ies.

Clearly the offense, considering that he's a defender and that his next sentence mentioned Tom Brady.

Who cares..................

{but if we lose to the Raiders...... I swear, I'm gonna hurt babies or something :eek: ;) }.

What would you do if they went on to lose 3 in a row with the 3rd loss to the Jets?

Is there someone who thinks the Patriots are a power team right now?

I always thought finesse teams were pass-heavy teams and power teams were teams that ran the ball down your throat. By that definition, I'd say we are finesse.

The Pats have turned into the Rams of 2001.

Are you crazy, really this is what it has come to? You are so wrong.

The Patriots are more like the 2002-2008 Colts.

Last edited:
Is there someone who thinks the Patriots are a power team right now?

If we had a few Mankins type guys on the defensive side,I think we might have won yesterday,you know those guys with a mean streak in them.

There is no 'mean' guys on that defense,looks more like guys just waiting for their next check from the boss.

We are Finesse,he is absolutely right

There is no punch on the defense...it scares nobody

How can anyone say this defense is physical...Belichick tried to get aged veterans who were previously tough nosed but so far it's just weak additions

The vets need to start getting mean and quickly before opposing offenses step all over them.

I've always felt that toughness just can't be turned on and off. When they spend week after week in practice against an offense that passes as much as we do and would rather chew it's way out of a giant pile of dead skunks than run with any sense of rhythm or regularity they tend to suck vs the run when you face a team that actually pays more than lip service to toughness.

Balance the offense better and I bet the D gets better. Not drastically better, but better.

At this point I agree with McClain 100%.

We are Finesse,he is absolutely right

There is no punch on the defense...it scares nobody

How can anyone say this defense is physical...Belichick tried to get aged veterans who were previously tough nosed but so far it's just weak additions

The vets need to start getting mean and quickly before opposing offenses step all over them.

Is there any player with a mean streak on this defense ? or leadership ?:nono:

We know now that starting safety Sergio has got the "moves" down for his next career move, merely 3 weeks away, as backup dancer for MC Hammer retro tour

1:05 in.

Sergio Brown #38 New England Patriots Defensive Back dancing during pregame warm up. - YouTube

I've always felt that toughness just can't be turned on and off. When they spend week after week in practice against an offense that passes as much as we do and would rather chew it's way out of a giant pile of dead skunks than run with any sense of rhythm or regularity they tend to suck vs the run when you face a team that actually pays more than lip service to toughness.

Balance the offense better and I bet the D gets better. Not drastically better, but better.

Agree...as I have said ad nauseum today,this offense needs to be more like a Steelers run offense...pound the ball until you cant anymore and then throw it

It keeps our anemic defense off the field and keeps those aged DE vets fresh

Its not really a great thing when Brady takes 30 seconds to score only to send the defense back out there and still gassed from the last time and then give away the points to the other team that Brady just put up anyway.

This is a bad trend we are seeing this year,it's too much back and forth scoring crap....time of possession wins you games...and super bowls

Our games are like tennis matches,you hit the ball to the other side of the net and he immediately hits it right back to you.

Last edited:
Nothing this team can do about it Rex has been running his mouth for the longest and has gotten the last laugh come end of season

Is there any player with a mean streak on this defense ? or leadership ?:nono:

We know now that starting safety Sergio has got the "moves" down for his next career move, merely 3 weeks away, as backup dancer for MC Hammer retro tour

1:05 in.

Sergio Brown #38 New England Patriots Defensive Back dancing during pregame warm up. - YouTube

The short answer to your question is no. This defense has been at the bottom of the pile for so long that it has lost all semblance of pride and there is no one to remind them of it because all the old-timers disappeared in a hurry. I believe even their posters were taken down.

Agree...as I have said ad nauseum today,this offense needs to be more like a Steelers run offense...pound the ball until you cant anymore and then throw it
Considering that you live in PA I would have expected you to be a bit more knowledgeable about the Steelers. The whole 'Steelers smash mouth, etc.' is one of those things that gets repeated so often it's accepted as fact, but the reality is they are just as much, if not more pass-oriented (or the derogatory 'finesse' that so many prefer) than the Pats.

Little known fact that gets in the way of stereotypes: the Pats have out-rushed the Steelers for three consecutive years.

I absolutely do believe that the Pats need to run the ball more often, specifically with Stevan Ridley, but whenever I hear the terms 'finesse' team and 'smash mouth' football, it is almost always just people flexing internet muscles with little substance behind their opinions.

Motivation? What? He didn't even bash our team. Calm down boys... always trying to find something for poster-board material.

One could be lead to the conclusion that Logan Mankins is the only aggressive mauler on this current Patriots team. Nothing McClain has said can be construed other than what it is.

The current Patriots team strike me as that exceptionally talented church going kid who lives life by the rules, does pretty well in all aspects he pursues but doesn't have the audacity to break the rules and kick some **** up to get what he really wants from life.

Last edited:
the fans saying this has obviously not helped, maybe the opposing players saying it will open some eyes on our coaching staff

Considering that you live in PA I would have expected you to be a bit more knowledgeable about the Steelers. The whole 'Steelers smash mouth, etc.' is one of those things that gets repeated so often it's accepted as fact, but the reality is they are just as much, if not more pass-oriented (or the derogatory 'finesse' that so many prefer) than the Pats.

Little known fact that gets in the way of stereotypes: the Pats have out-rushed the Steelers for three consecutive years.

I absolutely do believe that the Pats need to run the ball more often, specifically with Stevan Ridley, but whenever I hear the terms 'finesse' team and 'smash mouth' football, it is almost always just people flexing internet muscles with little substance behind their opinions.

Steelers play a balanced attack of pass and run. Pats are pass first then run

2011 Steelers : 57% Pass, 43% Run
2011 Patriots : 65% Pass, 35% Run

Steelers also play ball control since they have the best Defense in the league for past many years, especially shutting down opposing teams run game. This affords them mixing up run and pass

Steelers of past 8 years are smashmouth football - be it Bettis, Willie Parker, Zeroue, Deuce Staley, Davenport, Mwelde Moore, Mendenhall. This pays off in cold weather games and come playoff time. Patriots do no have such RB's or focus. It is your juking style RB's they prefer since Running is afterthought. Since Corey Dillion year they never had a RB or attempted to get one with the sole focus to tell D we are going to ram it down your throat and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Just having yards does not mean much. 2010 Pats outrushed Steelers by 30-40 yards, which statistically is negligible over 16 games.

2008 Patriots rushed for 2300 yards. Can you name the leading rusher ? or say they had a dominant rusher or 2 that could control the game ? Also, this was the year brady was knocked out. Suffice to say if he was not out Patriots would NOT have rushed for close to 2300 yards. It would have been Brady to Moss show again following up on 2007 season

At the end of the day running the ball is not about yards, rather can you control the game, can you control the opposing team psyche, can you dictate possession by possession strategy (run then switch to pass). Patriots do not have commitment to run - its always and afterthought.

Patriots of all teams should know that from 1-2 years of Clock killin Corey Dillon. It's not the 1600 yards he gained, rather the amount of time he allowed the Defense to be rested come 4th Quarter of games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back