PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders at it again, close to trading for Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you who LOVES this trade, every NFL owner....Disgruntled Superstar says trade me or I will retire, and the front office says, no retire, and he sits out, and what happens? They get a king's randsom for a guy who they didn't have to pay a dime to this year!!!

Now Palmer is a Raider, good luck with that, because the Raiders now don't have any picks until the 5th round next year (ouch), well at least they will save on two nights per diem for their coaching staff because they won't have to show up in NYC until day three of the draft.

This is probably the worst trade in about the past 20 years of the NFL. Maybe more. Anyone who would give more than a third rounder for Palmer is insane, and they're talking multiple #1s if Oakland wins a playoff game?

Last edited:
So what would you do if you were the GM in Oakland? Nothing? Kyle Boller is adequate. So you go 8-8, maybe 9-7 and miss the playoffs...again.

Isn't that all Al was willing to do when he was still breathing... Wasn't that all they were working with before Campbell got hurt on the eve of the trading deadline. What would they have done had he been injured next week? Getting to the playoffs isn't a given for Oakland at this point in time and even if they do being one and done is the best Palmer (who cannot read defenses and had become increasingly inaccurate under pressure and sometimes even in it's absence) ever managed and that's long forgotten when they don't have any draft picks to retool with as guys like Seymour age out and their youngsters bolt for greener pastures or hamstring them with demands for megacontracts...

They are kind of like the JETS west in that respect, always chasing windows although timing wise I don't think they picked a great year to be chasing a WC berth. There will be 4 division winners and I don't think they have a shot at being one. They barely hung on against the Texans this week. Then there will be a group of teams they may be among some of whom have a leg up on them competing for those two remaining slots... Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Cincy/Buffalo/Jets/Titans/Texans...

It's liklier the WC's come out of the AFCC and AFCE with the AFCS also presenting a better opportunity than usual due to Indy's situation. They still have to face SD twice, KC twice including this week with either Boller or a rusty Palmer at the helm, Green Bay, Detroit, and even Chicago could give them fits.

They are giving up too much but cant fault them for trying to win now.I am surprise this team is staying pat with all these draft picks they have.:rolleyes:The raiders are a good football team and can win that division from the chargers.

I wish the pats would try and acquire a wr if there isnt a defensive end out there to rush the passer.This team is hanging on too their picks which they seem to blow most often.:mad:

So what would you do if you were the GM in Oakland? Nothing? Kyle Boller is adequate. So you go 8-8, maybe 9-7 and miss the playoffs...again.

I don't have a problem with trading picks for a QB who can fill a need. I have a problem with trading two first round picks for a player who isn't particularly good. They just made themselves a little bit better this year (not a lot), at an enormously steep cost.

Last edited:
Simple, if he plays near his best the trade is worth it , if not then no. In Cinci he had lost motivation and i think that affected his play. In oakland he will be motivated , i see a possible Kurt Warner in Arizona situation.

I don't have a problem with trading picks for a QB who can fill a need. I have a problem with trading two first round picks for a player who isn't particularly good. They just made themselves a little bit better this year (not a lot), at an enormously steep cost.

I agree that the cost is steep for Palmer. He's only 31 and if he gives them four quality years, it could be worth it. Getting out of Cincinnati and that toxic atmosphere may rejuvenate him and playing for his former OC with the talent there bodes well for Oakland this year.

Carson Palmer absolutely sucks. I'm inclined to think the Raiders are living in an alternate reality and the year is 2005.

In addition to his suckness, he obviously cannot function with a dysfunctional franchise. How the Raiders think he is going to fit into their culture is a mystery of epic proportions. My guess is he starts with a big splash- being an upgrade from Jason Campbell- and then quickly finds himself getting booed out of town due to his horrendous decision making.

If that's the bounty on a washed-up, sensitive, below-average quarterback, then what would a team trade for a Brady or Manning? 15 first-round picks?

I'd trade them Mallet for a single 1st :)
If this goes through it could affect the second round pick from Oakland in a bad way. Without Palmer the pick would most likely be a High Second rounder, with Palmer the Raiders will win more games.

Last edited:
Now that the raiders have Palmer, maybe the pats can get in on the action and get a Second round pick for Ocho, reuniting him with Palmer.

I HATE this trade. We've been stealing the Raiders picks for years, dumping our garbage for their high picks.. and now the Bengals have stepped in, and stole those picks from US! I'm sure BB had plans to trade 85 or someone else who is under performing, to them for two 1st rounders at the end of the season....now who are we going to rip off.... Everyone else actually has a clue

It would be funny if Palmer lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl

Unintended humor, always the best!

Ricky Williams

Jim Brown was SO 50s/60s

Or maybe he was thinking of Herschel Walker.

Category: NFL players before Tom Brady for 20 points...

If true, I think this is a ridiculous trade.

I think Palmer is done. He has really declined the last several years.
Someone raised the fact that Ochocinco and "CHAMPionship" haven't played well since Palmer - maybe it was Palmer that made them that much better. Well, maybe it was 2006 that made them that much better, and now they are all older and less effective. By the same logic, go get Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Javon Walker, and Terrell Owens. And trade for Marc Bulger.

Further, Cincy is sitting on a non-productive asset. They have zero value. How many other teams are competing for Palmer's services?
Further, you are not getting him for the off-season to integrate into your system, gain timing with the receivers, and so forth. It's very difficult to integrate a receiver into your offense mid-season, given the options and terminology and routes. Integrating a QB? Maybe Jackson runs exactly the same offense as Cincy, with the same terminology, I don't know. But it seems like a steep curve for a guy who's been in the Cincy system and doesn't know the blockers or receivers. And, again, it's for 10 games, not 16.

Wildly overpaying.

Is the ghost of Al Davis still running that team?

Holy ****!

Of course, since the Patriots own their 2012 second rounder, Pats fans should hope they don't replace Campbell at all and give Pryor a shot.

The deal is done according to NFL.COM.
NFL.com news: Done deal: Raiders acquire veteran QB Palmer from Bengals
The deal is:

Carson Palmer to the Raiders

For:
Raiders 2012 1st round pick
Raiders 2013 2nd round pick with conditions. The condition is that if the Raiders play in the AFC Championship game this year, the 2nd round pick becomes a 1st.

I'll be honest, we don't have to worry about that. The Raiders aren't playing in the AFC Championship game.

It would be funny if Palmer lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl

Only if he bought the whole team tickets for Indy and was first in line to pay for them at the gate :cool:

While I can understand the Raiders reasoning, I also think that's a lot to give up. Palmer has not been the same QB after the injury. In addition, he's coming in cold with no OTA's, training camp and regular season games. I doubt how productive he can be over the next month or two. If Palmer was the one piece they needed to get over the hump, then I'd say it was a good trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back