PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders at it again, close to trading for Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
they want to plz their Franchises' fans... so they give up a #1 and a conditional #1?

Expensive BAND-AID

Campbell or NO Campbell they were not going to the SB.

Maybe they can knock off some douche-bags along the way?:rocker:

IDIOTS:p

If Raiders had waited a year, they could have gotten Andrew Luck in a trade for two ones and a player, say from Indy or St. Louis.
Ofcourse, they would have had to fold this year, which no competitive team is willing to do. It is not as if they didnt try to land a QB, any experienced QB. They combed the whole landscape for one.

I'm not so sure... Dolphins and Colts are leading the charge for that pick and they will take Luck in a second. With the new CBA, teams can sit Luck for a year or two.

And even if Carolina, St.Louis (team with a young QB) gets teh #1 pick.. Its going to cost WAY more than 2 #1's. You are talking 4 or 5 draft picks and players.. think Ricky williams..

Somewhere Al Davis is smiling at this trade.

loony. I wonder if Denver wouldn't trade Orton in-division.

I don't see any FA signing they did that can replace Nanmdi.
They lost their TE to Seattle and then they signed TE Kevin Boss. That might cancel each other out or at least give them a 7th.

That's not quite how it works. As a purely hypothetical example based on the Patriots:

Let's say, God forbid, that Welker walks in free agency after the season, and signs with some team for $10M a season.

The Pats then sign some JAG FA for $1.5M a year for two years, and make no other qualifying moves.

The net result is either no comp pick or at best a comp 7.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure... Dolphins and Colts are leading the charge for that pick and they will take Luck in a second. With the new CBA, teams can sit Luck for a year or two.

And even if Carolina, St.Louis (team with a young QB) gets teh #1 pick.. Its going to cost WAY more than 2 #1's. You are talking 4 or 5 draft picks and players.. think Ricky williams..

This will NOT be a Jim brown Trade like scenario...

RB that was traded for the World.

I'm trying to find what was given up. I think it was Brown that was traded for a KINGDOM:confused:

we will not see Luck command a Brown like deal (it will still be a STEEP Price:eek:

Bunch of idiots.

The Bengals are even bigger idiots if they don't do this in a heartbeat.

How did Cassel only fetch a 2nd again

Because (A) Cassel had a $14.6M franchise tag, and teams knew that the Patriots couldn't afford to keep him at that number, so they figured they could wait and get a better deal, and (B) Al Davis didn't think he needed a QB.

His contract would indicate a 3rd comp pick but there is more to the formula and if he doesn't get a lot of accolades as an Eagle it could knock him down to a 4th. I think the formula deals less with age than years of service and I think ten years is the point at which they discount regardless of deal. Nnamdi only has 8.

The accolades/playing time/starts are largely meaningless unless a player is right near the boundary. $10M/yr, IIRC, is pretty much a guaranteed third-rounder.

Allow me to interrupt this impromptu pile on session to give the other side a little time.
1. Chad Ochocinco, the once feared WR, writing the a book on every CB, pioneer in the TD celebration is a caricature without Palmer.
2. TJ Houshmandzadeh, the prototypical big strong possession receiver with 92 catches is 15 games, *****ed his way out from Palmer only to fail in Seattle and Baltimore and is currently willing to try out for anyone who will pay airfare (coach) and a couple of days at the Quality Inn. With these weapons, The lowly Bungles won the division from the Steelers
3. The most important combination in football is the QB/coach. Hue Jackson knows Palmer and is willing to put it on the line to be competitive. When was the last Raider competitive coach/QB combo? That’s right Gruden/Gannon, a decade ago.
4. As to cost, look at the Kolb trade for a comparable comp. Kolb was never a starter and really didn’t play well in limited action. This is the price of an experienced, professional QB. It is high because the supply is low. If that price is too high for you, the good news is that Consumer Reports says the Hyundai quality scores are way up! Besides what do the Raiders do with 1st rd picks? Not much.
5.As to age, think Jim Plunkett.
6.Long live Belichick/Brady, so we don't have to deal with this.

Great first post, TimSync!

This is a perfect trade for the Oakland Raiders. This is their moment to eclipse Norv Turner and the San Diego Chargers to grab the AFC West title. KC and Denver are train wrecks that are somewhere in the imploding/rebuilding phase for the next couple of years. To do nothing means going 7-9 or 8-8 or thereabouts, have mediocre draft selections and do what?

When Chad Henne went down, I thought the Dolphins might pull the trigger on Carson Palmer. But to what end? The Dolphins don't have the goods to move up in the Division much less make the playoffs. They're much better off building through the draft.

But Oakland is right there competing in a weak division with a coach who already knows this guy and what he's capable of doing. I imagine the terminology and sets will be familiar, too. I wonder what Belichick could get for Ocho? Stay tuned.

This is a brass ring move that puts a QB in place who will be energized by a change of scenery and who made crappy receivers look good. Palmer has a great release, can read defenses and can deliver the long ball. He'll have a grade A running back to keep defensive fronts honest. That's a pretty good football team out there with talented skill players and a solid offensive line.

The Raiders are 4-2 with 5 wins just sitting there for the taking: KC 2x, Denver, Miami and Minnesota. If they could get one against the Chargers and find another win in the Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit run through the NFC North, they could get to 11-5 and host a wild card game. How poetic would that be in the year that that beloved old wing-nut Al Davis died.

If I were an Oakland fan, I'd be really excited.

What? Are you serious? People are actually arguing this is a good move? Is it April Fools, or something?

Two first round picks for Palmer is nuts. They may somehow make the playoffs this year, although that's gonna be a tough task too. I can't see him coming in and picking up their offensive system right away and win enough games to keep up with the Chargers or get enough wins for a wildcard birth.

Going forward, if Palmer plays like he has the past three seasons (average), you've basically stunted that teams potential by giving up two first round picks. Granted, they can still get key guys in the later rounds, but that's a tall order given the nature of the draft.

They seemed to be going in the right direction with that team. I don't understand why go all in right now when they are still more than a "Carson Palmer" away from being serious contenders.

What? Are you serious? People are actually arguing this is a good move? Is it April Fools, or something?

FWIW, my take:

Getting Palmer per se: jury's out
Price paid for Palmer: too much

[It's sort of like the idea of the Pats going after Andrew Luck: it might not be a terrible idea in an abstract sense, but it's definitely not worth what it would actually cost.]

Every time I see one of these god awful trades I do briefly wonder what you would have to trade to get a truly elite QB like TB or Manning. No, it will never happen but you have to think if Palmer is potentially 2 1's then Brady or Manning would be 2 1's, 2 2's, a couple of players and maybe more picks :eek:

Last edited:

So what would you do if you were the GM in Oakland? Nothing? Kyle Boller is adequate. So you go 8-8, maybe 9-7 and miss the playoffs...again.

loony. I wonder if Denver wouldn't trade Orton in-division.

Even if they offered a 1st, I am sure even the Donkeys would accept that!

But seriously, how is Palmer worth that? They could have had Hoyer for a single first! :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for Campbell, he finally gets some stability and now this? What does this mean for his future? I am sure he is disheartened now.
Say what you may, but I am scared of the Raiders now. If those two running backs remain healthy, I don't want to play them in the playoffs.

This will NOT be a Jim brown Trade like scenario...

RB that was traded for the World.

I'm trying to find what was given up. I think it was Brown that was traded for a KINGDOM:confused:

we will not see Luck command a Brown like deal (it will still be a STEEP Price:eek:

Unintended humor, always the best!

Ricky Williams

Jim Brown was SO 50s/60s

Last edited:
So what would you do if you were the GM in Oakland? Nothing? Kyle Boller is adequate. So you go 8-8, maybe 9-7 and miss the playoffs...again.

I certainly wouldn't give up 2 first round picks for what amounts to a lateral move.

Allow me to interrupt this impromptu pile on session to give the other side a little time.
1. Chad Ochocinco, the once feared WR, writing the a book on every CB, pioneer in the TD celebration is a caricature without Palmer.
2. TJ Houshmandzadeh, the prototypical big strong possession receiver with 92 catches is 15 games, *****ed his way out from Palmer only to fail in Seattle and Baltimore and is currently willing to try out for anyone who will pay airfare (coach) and a couple of days at the Quality Inn. With these weapons, The lowly Bungles won the division from the Steelers
3. The most important combination in football is the QB/coach. Hue Jackson knows Palmer and is willing to put it on the line to be competitive. When was the last Raider competitive coach/QB combo? That’s right Gruden/Gannon, a decade ago.
4. As to cost, look at the Kolb trade for a comparable comp. Kolb was never a starter and really didn’t play well in limited action. This is the price of an experienced, professional QB. It is high because the supply is low. If that price is too high for you, the good news is that Consumer Reports says the Hyundai quality scores are way up! Besides what do the Raiders do with 1st rd picks? Not much.
5.As to age, think Jim Plunkett.
6.Long live Belichick/Brady, so we don't have to deal with this.

Are you finished? Then allow me to retort. Palmer blows and hasn't done jack in 5 years. His TD-INT since 2007 = 76-57. If that ain't sucking I don't know what is.

I don't think it's a bad move to acquire Palmer but for 2 firsts? lol.

Palmer wasn't even playing for the team. Cinci basically got 2 firsts to move a player that didn't even play for them. 2 firsts for nothing. Wouldn't have the Bengals accepted ANYTHING for Palmer? Like if they were offered a single third round pick...what are they gonna do...say no?

"No I don't want a third round pick for a player that isn't playing for our team."

Like, I just don't get it...lol. Maybe there was a bidding war for Palmer but surely no other team was offering more than a first for a washed up QB...were they?

"Are you finished? Then allow me to retort. Palmer blows and hasn't done jack in 5 years. His TD-INT since 2007 = 76-57. If that ain't sucking I don't know what is."

Read that in Jackson's voice. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back