PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiderettes victims of wage fraud; what about other NFL cheerleader squads?

Do the ball boys get paid or is that a volunteer job? I know that some of the "seating crew" are volunteers - I was offered a chance to do it for a game a few years back.

Cheerleading for a pro team is resume enhancer - I think these women know the terms of the agreement BEFORE they sign the dotted line.

I don't care for NFL cheerleaders, or NBA (and in some cases now, NHL) cheerleaders.

I've always felt that cheerleading is a staple of the High School & College sporting experiences,
but add nothing whatsoever to the professional sporting experience.
And no, my name is not Michael Sam.

I'm with you -- and it's not just that I'm not the target audience.

NFL "cheerleaders" aren't there to lead cheers and fire up the crowd. (That's the Jumbotron's job.) They're auxiliary entertainment, designed to enhance the "stadium experience" for people who don't really care about football. Like the hideous mega-headed Patriot, only with fewer clothes.

The issue is not whether we get our jollies out of watching cheerleaders or not, it's that NFL teams (and yes many other orgs) have violated state and federal labor laws. It's also not whether we think these myriad laws are beneficial or not it's do we live in a society where laws apply to all or are there "waivers" for special entitled groups & organizations?

I favor a society where if you're gonna write laws, make 'em apply equally to all.

The NFL has ducked their responsibility to behave as a lawful employer and needs to fix this.

This BTW is about .001 on my list of concerns but it's the principle.

Why are they paid anything?

Should be strictly volunteer, and if they don't like it there's probably thousands of women waiting to take their spot.

Why are they paid anything?

Should be strictly volunteer, and if they don't like it there's probably thousands of women waiting to take their spot.

Great logic there, pal. :bricks:

I have a friend who once worked on a technology product for several NFL franchises. He told me they were very excited to pay you with anything except cash. HIs company was offered jerseys, boxes, tickets, etc. etc. but getitng them to pay money was always a pain in the ass. These NFL teams know how much social leverage they have and they aren't shy about using it.
Unless you're in top management (or, obviously, an athlete or coach) there are very few jobs to have worse than working for a professional sports team. They are notoriously cheap in every way imaginable and in many departments, the job security is atrocious.

True story: When I was 2 months from my Master's, I got an invitation to interview with a Major League Baseball team. The job description sounded great - right up to the point where I got to the salary. It was literally about 30% of what someone with my degree would expect (and less than a quarter of what I ended up getting).

Maybe if I was younger I may have been tempted.... but I'm past the point in life where I want to live in an apartment with 3 roommates eating Ramen Noodles every night.

Maybe if I was younger I may have been tempted.... but I'm past the point in life where I want to live in an apartment with 3 roommates eating Ramen Noodles every night.

Could've been the makings of one of those insurance commercials.

Great logic there, pal. :bricks:

Right I forgot college and high school cheerleaders got paid so much.

Only makes sense that NFL cheerleaders would get paid since they work so hard doing all those kicks and choreographed routines.

Only makes sense that NFL cheerleaders would get paid since they work so hard doing all those kicks and choreographed routines.

From this I have learned that NFL players should be volunteering their time, because high school players do and because they "work" so hard playing a game.

From the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders Audition FAQ:

What type of time commitment is required if chosen for DCC?

TOTAL COMMITMENT IS REQUIRED!!!! A DCC’s schedule is very busy.

Activities include:

Rehearsals (generally 7:00pm – 10:30pm)
Personal Appearances (Charity & Paid)
Travel
Fan Mail
Cheer and Dance Camps for Children
Performances
Media Interviews

When I see a published list of time-consuming, unpaid activities "REQUIRED!!!!" of non-exempt employees, I almost wish I were a labor lawyer. Too easy.

Knowing the NFL and the owners, if the cheerleaders get some sort compensation or get paid more or something. More likely than not it'll come out of the fans pocket with increased prices on tickets, merchandise, etc before they ever decide to just take it out of their enormous profits they already earn.

From this I have learned that NFL players should be volunteering their time, because high school players do and because they "work" so hard playing a game.

d53c2ee4b3c46918b59402da260d3fc1.gif

They're cheerleaders.

Ideally, high school/college cheerleaders and high school/college football players make the same amount of money. Please don't take the easy route and assume this logic means I think NFL players and NFL cheerleaders should make the same amount of money. I'm merely pointing out your lack of sensitivity to a group of employees that are clearly not getting their fair share.

You personally may not feel that NFL cheerleaders deserve to get paid at all. But the NFL has deemed that there is value in having cheerleaders around as well as have all these mandatory time commitments for them. And why do NFL franchises do this? Because it helps them generate revenue and fan loyalty in one way or another.

Dismissing their right to seek more pay, just like you and I can in our jobs, on the basis of their job being menial and easily fulfilled by someone else is stupid.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back