PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raider Game observations from the stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic! All you guys who posted about your trip to the OC did a great job and deserve battle pay. Thank you very, very much!

I reiterate that Raider fans talk tough sometimes, but they are really just like any other fans except they are on parole for drug crimes.

I have never had a serious confrontation in seven trips to Oakland. I have had in other stadiums, though, such as Seattle and Denver.

I really enjoyed this thread it was a good read. I would like to see more of these this season for us who cant get to games. Very nicely done by all those who attended and posted:rocker::rocker: Keep them coming on every game!!!!

I got some mild jeers. I was wearing a Patriots hat and Pat the Patriot shirt.

I was uncomfortable watching a drunken Raider fan get in a fight and tumble down twelve rows of seats. Somehow, nobody was injured.

The fans are *not* as bad as many stadiums such as Seattle or Denver. The fans will give you fairly good natured crap which I take in stride. I am not confrontational. I think a lot of them are just there to party. I've been to seven Raiders games (not all Pats games) and have never had a problem or even close to a problem.

The ladies in front of us were very nice and flirted with me and my sons all game. A tough looking Raider fan would try to high five me every time the Raiders made a play.

I am very loud and will criticize our team when they do something stupid--like give up a third and long. Raiders fan seems particularly bewildered by that.

I'm glad that you didn't have any major problems. I wish that was my experience with the Raiders!

I also went to the game, as I have every time the Pats came to the Bay Area in the last 17yrs. Like Dragda said, Raiders fans can talk tough, but they rarely look to start trouble. You can reliably wear Pats gear, root for the team and cheer loudly for good plays on both sides of the ball without incident. As is true at *any* stadium, trouble will be found if you start taunting the fans around you or start yelling chants like "Cambell sucks", "Raiders suck", etc.

I have to give SoCal Bong big props for arranging the group tickets. Despite my late realization the Pats were coming to Oakland (the change in the 6yr rotation screwed me up), he still had 2 tickets available in a prime location...5yd line, 25 rows up, Pats sideline. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to meet the man as my wife and I arrived just as Seymour was getting flagged for slamming Brady after the whistle and we left promptly at game's end to get home to our kids. SoCal Bong...I tip my cap to you...as should everyone else you set up with those great tix. The large contingency of Pats fans in our area was a great sight.

The weather was beautiful...sunny (and hot) during the first half, then comfortable in the 2nd half as the clouds provided some relief. Everybody stood during the action the whole game. We had a crazy Raiders chick behind us screaming, "F*** Brady!", "Come on, Campbell!", "Campbell...you suck! Sit down!". Glad she was gone midway through the 4th (along with most of the fans). A few guys tried starting some "F*** The Patriots" (clap clap clapclapclap) chants, but even the majority of Raiders fans around us rolled their eyes at such immature antics as their efforts died quickly. There were a few cheers when Mayo was on the ground, but it's always the vocal minority of losers (like the chick behind us) who are heard over the silent majority.

Halftime was spent in line getting nachos and a Pepsi. As I was looking for napkins before heading back to my seat, I heard scattered cheers from Pats fans waiting for food, watching Ridley score early in the 3rd :mad:

Our vantage point offered some great views: The two outs to Ochocinco were beautiful throws on great routes. The pass to Welker at the one and the TD to Branch were also beautifully executed. We also had a good view of the overturned PI call...indeed they just got tangled up and there was no interference. I just wish Brady hit Welker on the deep post early in the game as that ball fell incomplete right in front of us. It's also obvious why Brady licks his chops when he thinks he has Gronk one-on-one...the guy is an absolute monster in person, bigger than anyone (LB or DB) trying to cover him.

The fans turned hard on Campbell as the game progressed. The pick to Pat Chung looked as awful live as on TV. After the pick to Big Vince, the collective groan could be heard in San Francisco. In the 4th as the Raiders continued to run the ball despite being far behind, fans were imploring Campbell to speed things up...shades of McNabb in SB39. After the Raiders punted on 4th down with about 7 minutes left and down a ton, fans started filing out en masse.

Since the stadium was 2/3 empty at the final gun, getting onto BART was a breeze. In 2002 when the Pats lost 27-20 in the Revenge of the Tuck Rule game, it took an hour to cross the BART bridge from the stadium to the station. This time it only took 15 minutes. Train home was fairly empty as we moved through the crowd to the front car (of 10) where nobody was waiting. Was home by 6pm as hoped. And then it was an evening of catching up with the highlights and commentary on ESPN and the local news.

Pics from the game. View them in reverse order.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for all the write ups guys, much appreciated.

Chris,

Nice pics, bro! Many thanks for sharing them and posting a link too.

Respects,

I also went to the game, as I have every time the Pats came to the Bay Area in the last 17yrs. Like Dragda said, Raiders fans can talk tough, but they rarely look to start trouble. You can reliably wear Pats gear, root for the team and cheer loudly for good plays on both sides of the ball without incident. As is true at *any* stadium, trouble will be found if you start taunting the fans around you or start yelling chants like "Cambell sucks", "Raiders suck", etc.

I have to give SoCal Bong big props for arranging the group tickets. Despite my late realization the Pats were coming to Oakland (the change in the 6yr rotation screwed me up), he still had 2 tickets available in a prime location...5yd line, 25 rows up, Pats sideline. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to meet the man as my wife and I arrived just as Seymour was getting flagged for slamming Brady after the whistle and we left promptly at game's end to get home to our kids. SoCal Bong...I tip my cap to you...as should everyone else you set up with those great tix. The large contingency of Pats fans in our area was a great sight.

The weather was beautiful...sunny (and hot) during the first half, then comfortable in the 2nd half as the clouds provided some relief. Everybody stood during the action the whole game. We had a crazy Raiders chick behind us screaming, "F*** Brady!", "Come on, Campbell!", "Campbell...you suck! Sit down!". Glad she was gone midway through the 4th (along with most of the fans). A few guys tried starting some "F*** The Patriots" (clap clap clapclapclap) chants, but even the majority of Raiders fans around us rolled their eyes at such immature antics as their efforts died quickly. There were a few cheers when Mayo was on the ground, but it's always the vocal minority of losers (like the chick behind us) who are heard over the silent majority.

Halftime was spent in line getting nachos and a Pepsi. As I was looking for napkins before heading back to my seat, I heard scattered cheers from Pats fans waiting for food, watching Ridley score early in the 3rd :mad:

Our vantage point offered some great views: The two outs to Ochocinco were beautiful throws on great routes. The pass to Welker at the one and the TD to Branch were also beautifully executed. We also had a good view of the overturned PI call...indeed they just got tangled up and there was no interference. I just wish Brady hit Welker on the deep post early in the game as that ball fell incomplete right in front of us. It's also obvious why Brady licks his chops when he thinks he has Gronk one-on-one...the guy is an absolute monster in person, bigger than anyone (LB or DB) trying to cover him.

The fans turned hard on Campbell as the game progressed. The pick to Pat Chung looked as awful live as on TV. After the pick to Big Vince, the collective groan could be heard in San Francisco. In the 4th as the Raiders continued to run the ball despite being far behind, fans were imploring Campbell to speed things up...shades of McNabb in SB39. After the Raiders punted on 4th down with about 7 minutes left and down a ton, fans started filing out en masse.

Since the stadium was 2/3 empty at the final gun, getting onto BART was a breeze. In 2002 when the Pats lost 27-20 in the Revenge of the Tuck Rule game, it took an hour to cross the BART bridge from the stadium to the station. This time it only took 15 minutes. Train home was fairly empty as we moved through the crowd to the front car (of 10) where nobody was waiting. Was home by 6pm as hoped. And then it was an evening of catching up with the highlights and commentary on ESPN and the local news.

Pics from the game. View them in reverse order.

Regards,
Chris

Two things also to note

I was in the 22X sections and those sections turned shade in the 2nd quarter. It was hot there so if you want shade, it's perfect. The view is also good.

Getting into that stadium is a nightmare with the security. I would recommend getting there early.

Loved the pic of Welker standing next to Solder :)

Looks like you had good seats, thanks for sharing your experiences!

We weren't allowed to go there at 14. LOL.

And if you were my 14-yo daughter, I wouldn't have allowed you to go there, either. Too many Wild 'n Crazy Guys.
There wasn't much winning then, but at least the booze & drugs helped make the losing more tolerable.

Two signs I pondered creating, then got lazy and didn't make them. Lost opportunity...

1. The Autumn Win is a Patriot

2. The Broken Wind is a Raider

Regards,
Chris

You should've been to Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro stadium in the mid 70s, when I was 14...

Saw the Pats-Bengals season-ending game as a teen in '85 - the one where the Pats qualified for the playoffs so the crowd stormed the field and ripped down the goal posts. The father of my friend who brought us got us out of there ASAP. :eek:

Thanks to all who've posted their experiences at Oakland. I always wondered what it would be like to go there - seems as if there's a weird vibe, like a Star Trek convention on crystal meth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots