Welcome to PatsFans.com

Raid nets 361 Illegal workers in Springfield

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

To the people caught in this raid, I say good ridance, and enjoy the trip back to your native land. A, B, Cya. You have no one to blame but yourself. You knowingly came to this country illegally, thus breaking the law, knowing full well that you could be arrested and deported at a moments notice. I sympathize with you on the sorry state of your native land, but ultimately, that is not my problem, and we do have a legal process of entry. At any rate, these "children" this loser in this article talks about, are being paid for by you and I, at a time when this country is running a welfare state of historical porportions. Furthermore, this sorry azz state I live in keeps raising taxes and fees, while these people get freebies galore. Goodbye.

Media slant at it's best. A totally emotional arguement designed to tug at peoples hearts and thus eliminate all data and logic. Like religion in government, emotion has no place. The governments only requirement is to uphold the constitution, and treat all it's CITIZENS equally. When you demend the separation of church and state, you must also add emotion to the mix. Religion is an emotionally driven ideology that holds no purpose in government.

ALI NOORANI

US immigration system at its worst
    By Ali Noorani | March 9, 2007

NEW BEDFORD
    "HAS ANYONE seen my wife? She left for work yesterday and never came home. Our newborn baby is hungry and crying. Can someone please help?" asks a young father in the basement of a crowded church, one clear voice above the din of the hundreds gathered. The fear is palpable in the young man's eyes. He implores the listener to offer solace, hope, and encouragement.

There were hundreds of people searching for news about their loved ones, fighting back nervous tears. They found no information and no answers. Only chaos. And pain. And fear.

For the past three days, this has been the scene at St. James Church in New Bedford.

This is the result of failed immigration laws. This is the nation's immigration system at its worst.

On Tuesday, more than 500 armed homeland security officers descended upon Michael Blanco Inc. The owner of the factory, and a few of his senior staff, were arrested for hiring undocumented workers and creating false documents. They were out on bail and home with their families that night.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...007/03/09/us_immigration_system_at_its_worst/

Fake I.D. maker is an example of wider, dangerous problem
    By ROB MARGETTA, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD — Last September, a woman known as Yolanda Ramos-Mendez walked into the Aries Record Shop and handed Luis Torres passport-type pictures of herself and a copy of her signature.
    She returned to the shop the next day and Mr. Torres, 45, produced a counterfeit alien registration or "green" card with her name, photo and signature and a fake Social Security card bearing her name. She paid $120 and walked out.
    What Mr. Torres did not know is that he had just handed fake papers over to an undercover Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent involved with an immigration sting at Michael Bianco Inc., a textile and leather products producer that handled millions of dollars' worth of military contract work. Court documents filed in the case describe the entire exchange.
    ICE said the transaction was fairly typical in the world of false immigration papers. Men like Luis Torres are one of the key elements in the clandestine process of illegal immigrants finding work, the agency said.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/03-07/03-08-07/05local.htm

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The US government may not forgive these people, but I think God will.

And please stop talking about legal immigration as if it were an alternative for these people. There's not much of a quota for poor Guatemalans and Mexicans. How ****ty their lives must have been back home come to America and work in sweatshop conditions for less than minimum wage, under the constant fear of arrest and deportation. Laws were broken when they entered, no doubt about it, but there's a greater good than our current laws can recognize.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

This article is a good read. This is why I laugh at the pols who say they are "for the middle class", yet are selling out to illegals for the hispanic vote. Fraud scum sucking politicians.

Illegals taking more and more jobs

By Jack Spillane, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD — Last summer, 40 or 50 carpenters from Local 1305, the Fall River chapter of the New England Council of Carpenters, didn't work at all.
    Ron Rheaume, the business manager for the union, said that means about 10 percent of the union's 500-strong work force couldn't find any jobs for the first time in recent memory.

The biggest reason, he believes, is the influx of illegal immigrants who have begun to work in the New England construction industry over the past four to five years. "It's blatant and it's everywhere," he said. "It's happening in prevailing wage jobs and it's happening in state projects. It's happening all over the place."

John O'Connor, a senior organizer with the carpenter's union, said the employment situation in Massachusetts has been so changed by illegal labor that it is even becoming impossible for high school students to find such traditional part-time positions as bus boys, landscapers or painters.
    And it's not just a problem of the immigrants undercutting high wages by working cheap, he said. "They're taking the lower-wage jobs from Americans who work in lower-wage jobs."

Mr. Rheame and Mr. O'Connor stressed that they are not anti-immigrant, just anti-exploitation of workers by employers, some of whom have themselves been undercut by other unscrupulous, anti-union contractors.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/03-07/03-09-07/02local.htm

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Well then maybe they should demand more from their own government. I'm tired of paying for the lazy in this country, and I'm certainly not going to pay for the illegal. Respect our laws and don't cry for pity when you get caught breaking them. I personally feel bad for them, but business is business, and when the government is raping me on Thursdays, it doesn't feel bad for me.

5. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ehh, I don't mind suffering a little to keep innocent people from suffering a lot. And actually, I don't mind if you suffer a little to keep innocent people from suffering a lot. Nobody's accusing these people of being lazy (they're working, after all), just unfortunate. You might say it's not your problem, but it's all of our problem since we only have one world to share. You and I didn't build America, yet we maintain we have an exclusive right of abode here. Well, that's not a moral right of ours. It's a right we create for ourselves based on our ability to kick other people out. And when they slip through the cracks, I don't pretend they're guilty of a sin. Kick em out, more will come, and the dance will continue.

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Liberals want the American taxpayers to take care of the poor of the entire world. These people are sending hundreds of millions of dollars outside our country, and then taking housing and welfare payments from the government.

So to summarize: American taxpayers are expected to take care of:

1) Poor Americans
    2) Poor illegal immigants
    3) The families of (2) back home in the native land.

And if you refuse to do any of the above, you are immediately labelled a savage.

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

These people are never satisfied. They complain when we try to build walls to keep illegals out, and they complain when we try to enforce our own laws.

Face it: The American liberal wants nothing short of completely open borders and then once someone gets here, legally or not, they are deserving of free health care and welfare payments (without having to pay any taxes themselves).

This is what is going to destroy America in the next 100 years. And you can thank your local liberal.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

What about the 361 Americans whose tax returns are going to be screwed up because these people have been working on their social security numbers?

This guy specifically employed illegals, he told the where to buy the fake documents, and then hired them and kept them in horrible conditions. He has a 92 MILLION dollar federal contract (all of which have a codicil against employing illegals). You can't tell me that if he raised his wage a dollar or two an hour, he could employ Americans. Immigration held off doing this raid until the Army found another contractor. I think we can do a little better for our military than having illegals in a sweat shop making their bulletproof vests!

What your governor is not telling you is HE KNEW ABOUT THIS RAID FOR MONTHS!!!!!!! Anthing he says or does now is just pure politics.

BTW the raid was in New Bedford, and not Springfield, and it was f*&*ING COLD!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Of course you don't care about my money. Most illogical thinkers, or those who base their positions on emotion, don't. I'll tell you what you should do with your money, donate it. Start, or find, a non-profit group that helps these people, and donate your own time and money, and not mine.

BTW, they're not innocent. THEY ARE CRIMINALS. You know, when you enter a country illegally you are a criminal. When you falsify legal documents you are a criminal. When you steal someone's identity you are a criminal. :D

This is the biggest load of diarea I've read in here in quite some time.

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't care if they illegally cross every border they come to, people who have no choice can cross any man-made borders for all I care. There's law and there's humanity.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The American liberal thinks it is the American taxpayer's responsibility to take care of the poor of the world. That's why they enoucrage as much illegal immigration as possible, and don't want us to enforce our own laws.

12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Do you also forgive them for breaking these laws....

Tax laws (of which they pay none) (they averaged 9 dependents on thier respective W-4s).

What about driving without a license?

You know they don't have car registration or insurance.

How about them using Medicaid to pay for all their hospital bills?

BTW-over 60 of them had criminal records for such insignificant crimes as re-entry after deportation, assault, gun possession, drug possession, wife beating, and of course their national sport......drunk driving.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

They have no choice? Utterly pathetic. Of course they have a choice. The drivel posted by the excusists on this issue are assinine and comical.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Even more so, they know that the vast majority of the people will be dependent upon government services, and therefore will be a career voting block. More poor illegals paid for by others = future votes.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Yeah but they had no choice FTW. Plus, Pujo, that self described "bottom-line kind of guy", want them to stay cuz it makes him happy.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have no problem with them not paying taxes since they're not given the option.

I have no problem with them driving without a license since they're not given a choice.

I have a problem with the ones that had criminal records (other than for just illegal entry).

I've always said I'd support completely stamping out illegal immigration if we made it easy for people who aren't criminals, and are willing to work, to come here. No low quotas, no years of red tape. Immigration control serves a valuable purpose. But when someone's starving in their home country, and all they want is a chance to support themselves, I don't see them as being morally deficient because they crossed an artificial border.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

You're position in this shows that you clearly have no principles to speak of. You are a bright individual, but when it comes to your pals, or something of personal interest to you, your true colors are exposed.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I just have compassion and don't always equate our laws with morality. Besides, Libertarians believe in open borders, and while I don't think the world's quite ready for that, it's the direction we need to move in.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Well, I think your nuts. :p

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

What I find interesting about this whole thing is how it is portrayed, and what it actually is:

1. America is addicted to cheap labor, look at NOLA and who is rebuilding it, while looking the other way.. five years from now they will have an illegal problem. There is a tendency to look the other way.
    2. This company is a defense contractor, who is trying to fulfill the obligations to the military.. isn't there some kind of stipulation about this?
    3. Many of those arrested are moms, their kids are now in foster care and this is turning out to be a mess for DSS folks.. they have to sort out who is who which will be a tremendous economic it for the commonwealth.

This is a tough one, just like the one at the meat packing plant last month, in the absence of a consistent US policy and integrity of the employing company it will continue. I suspect at the expense of the American worker.