Welcome to PatsFans.com

Racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

I think this board is taking on a racist tone. The obsession with Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, the accusations of a double standard, one poster even said "blacks are pissing me off," another digs up a horrific case of black on white crime, another posts a story about football players raping a woman and asks us to guess the color of the football players. We can't go on like this. If you want to talk race in these terms, it will have to be discussed elsewhere. The implications in these posts are terribly offensive, even if they're not meant that way.

We can all post stories about black on white crime, white on black crime, black victims of white justice, whites getting a bum deal from the media, and so on, but one or two stories do not reflect what's going on in the nation. A single miscarriage of justice, like with the Duke boys, does not mean that everywhere there are miscarriages of justice. A single instance of the press failing to do its job does not mean that the press always fails to do its job.

We have strong disagreements on this issue, but we have to find a way to move forward, or else I see no way for this forum to continue to abide by the rules that Ian wants. The number of personal attacks and of race baiting comments by both sides is really out of hand.

I suggest we move onto other topics before we do harm to the forum. I for one will no longer participate in any of the current threads threads that address race issues.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

The reason it is being talked about is because it is all over the news just like the Racist Race Baiters wanted it to be (Jess/Al) they even admit it.

SHARPTON VOWS MORE: 'It is our feeling that this is only the beginning. We must have a broad discussion on what is permitted and not permitted in terms of the airwaves'
    http://www.drudgereport.com/
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

I think it's you that is offended. I think you're letting your personal opinions get in the way of your power to censor what's discussed. Nothing personal, but most of us in here have been cleanly discussing the issue of race reporting, and not so much the issue of racism. The only person who made blatant accusations of racism against other posters was BF1996. I think the rest of the posts have been an honest discussion regarding specific individuals involved in the recent incidents involving the Duke Lacrosse team, and Don Imus' comments. Heaven forbid someone put Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson in a negative light right? Should we never discuss issues that involve people of differing color? I think your personal views are getting the best of you here.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In otherwords, let's get back to calling the Pope a Nazi. Got'cha.
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

There have been several complaints, and I'm trying to figure out a fair way of moving foward without closing threads. Do you want to be constructive or use this threads to continue with personal attacks?
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm just saying people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I"ve stayed FAR, FAR away from those discussions.

From what I've seen, though, the true feelings of the country aren't portrayed on message boards because people largely aren't allowed to express their true feelings.

I know for myself I thought that from reading this board, and others, that high school, college, recent college grads are much less racist, homophobic, etc, than that age group I was their age (I'm 40 now) . . . but when I mention those things to the young kids we've hired out of college they look at me funny. They're very homophobic; they hate the political correctness of racde issues. Racism, sexism, homophobia, etc, I don't think much has changed but I think boards and polls get skewed results because they're such highly charged issues.

I'm not saying what groups I'm for or against, though . . . for the above reason.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Team Patsfans,

I am not one of the complainers to the Mods on this issue. Those of you who read my posts and contribute to my banter understand that if I have an issue, I'll call you out on it. and we will clear the air quickly.
    Not disclosing my race here, but I am offended by posts that ask me to guess someone's race following a rape charge etc. Its racism by being passive, and not cool. If I see postings on this board that I believe have hints of racism in them I will be the first to call someone out on it, and make sure I understand their point before flying off the frying pan. Its easy to hide behind a screenname and cyberspace, but if you ARE being racist, hope and pray that we never meet.

I think that for the most part here people tend to be respectful. If you judge someone by their skin color, you show everyone who reads your post how stupid you are.

Rape - murder - child abuse - crime in general, all have no color. They have overtones of EVIL in my eyes.
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Well, there are lots of closet racists who are bigoted, insecure, and discriminating. I believe it was because of their tendencies that affirmative action and other protective measures were created in the first place.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

For the record, I wouldn't support Patters giving up his moderator duties. Like I've said before, I don't envy his position, and appreciate what he does. ;)

I think people need to also be careful of labeling, or even calling someone out on being a racist or bigot. I'm very comfortable with myself, how I treat people. No one in here knows me, what kind of person I am, who my friends are, or anything that I've done in my life. It's why I don't care what anyone in here calls me, cuz I feel I'm as good and as honest a person as I can be. I'm well aware that race is an issue for alot of people in society, and that people will direct an agenda specifically because of race. Unfortunately, that's part of life. What you can't do, especially in a discussion forum, is steer clear of certain topics out of fear of being branded. I'll discuss any issue with anyone, so long as it is an honest, and sincere debate.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I happen to agree as race issues are artificial and only exist in the real of the media and the minds of small men and women. They (racial problems) only have meaning when we give it to them. I'm done with the subject, too.
    Carry on everyone else.

Now about the union with Canada and Mexico.......
  12. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters... as a frequent user of the board, and a MODERATOR...you should be well aware of the large contingent of racists among the posters on this forum. A conservative estimate would be 75% (with 99% of that group also being right wing nuts). As such, the recent overt and "subtle" racists expressions from this group isn't at all surprising. These are individuals who know the PC cliches by heart (i.e. I believe in equality, I don't hate blacks, blacks are my best friends, ) but who anxiously await any inappropriate action by a black/"minority" person so that they can use such action as justification for their racist beliefs and deeds. Of course such individuals are "horrified" by any "double standard" which doesn't favour whites or by any crime that is committed against whites. They are racists and as such, if any double standards exist...or if any negative interracial situation exists...then whites...and only whites should be the ones to benefit. If whites don't benefit...then of course, it's a problem. So don't be surprised when racists like QuiGon and the deranged Harry use the Duke case to attempt to justify their racism. They are offended not by the situation (i.e. false charges) but by the skin colour of those "falsely" accused and the skin colour of the accuser. Had those Duke players been black...we wouldn't have heard a peep out of either of them (well, actually, they probably would have asked for us to guess the race of the rapist :rolleyes: ). Just remember the motto of the racist - it's just "part of life" when blacks face daily discrimination but it's a tragedy when it happens once to a white person.

By the way....where are the "Obama has a good chance" crowd? Please, take a good look at the racists on this board...because they make up the MAJORITY of the voting public. And they will never elect a "black" man to be President of "their United States of America".
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

painfully honest, saying the things few people have the courage to say or admit...

great post...

isn't it always interesting to see the Bunkers blow their collective stacks over the same "red meat" issues?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

PF1996, I strongly suspect we have no people of color in this forum, which is unfortunate. As a result, race issues tend to become liberal v. conservative, and that tends to entrench people in their respective corners. As a gay man, I think I've been able to sensitize people to some of the prejudice that gays face. If we had a black contributor, s/he might be able to do the same.

That said, this forum is the rare place where left and right get together and discuss issues. I believe that in itself is constructive. At the very least it helps each of us formulate our arguments, study our views, and understand the nature of the opposition. At the most, it helps us get greater sensitivity to the issues that drive us apart, and enables us to reach out. That gives us something to build on.

But, when an issue becomes so divisive that it jeopardizes the forum, we can only pursue it with caution. We have to remember, like it or not, Patsfans is first and foremost a place for Patriots fans. The reason we have moderators is that some of the discussions here became so heated that visitors to this forum actually quit Patsfans. Ian nearly closed the forum, but agreed to leave it open provided it was moderated.

While I personally mostly agree with your excellent post, we need a civil way to talk about race or to give it a rest for now. Calling a spade a spade is not necessarily constructive.
  15. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hhhmm, you know I thought the Patters "vote" post was BS.. BUT WTF? So in a post where PF1996 calls 75%+ of the board racist adn 99% of those "rightwing nut jobs. FLAT OUT AGAIN CALLS ANOTHER POSTER A RACIST!!!!! Another deranged and you Mostly agree with your "EXCELLENT POST" WTF? OH thats right you "mostly agree" we can just forget and ignore for PF1996 the fact he called people RACIST and other names how many times now after he was "warned". What BS. Hey I'm not defending QG or Harry..Oh I forgot PF13 and RW who he also called racist (wrong tree if you want to go after me on the race card fella) They can defend themselves if they want and as far as Harry...well...lets drop that....but come on. So as a moderator who "warned a poster you just let him do it multiple times AGIAN and then AGREED WITH HIM AND POINTED OUT IT WAS AN EXCELLENT POST!!!! You people take the cake. I hope you report yourself to Ian this is shameful.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

I should have been more explicit. I agree with his points about how racists see things, but I don't think it's fair to conclude that just because someone is upset about the Duke situation, they would not be upset if the skin colors of the key people were reversed. I don't think this board has anywhere near 75% racists and 99% right wing nuts. I should have been more explicit in my post, but what can I say? I'm not at my best at 3:30 a.m.
  17. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You forgot the part in the post where he called posters by name racist AGAIN. HOw do you ignore that and say "excellent post"??? so 2/3's of his post either violates the rules of the forum and you don't readily agree with the Duke case example but the other 1/3rd was an "EXCELLENT POST"? I know its 3AM but please, this place has gotten absured.

So now because I'm White I can't say I have Black friends because I'll be labeled a racist? Do you realize how not only devisive that is but racist? You claimed it was an "EXCELLENT POST" but 2/3's of it pretty much violates the rules of the forum beyond how offensive the name calling is and how many time the poster has done it...then you give him a gold star. Does I should have been more explicit really cover it? I think you were explicit and thats my gripe.
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

I try and stay away from these issues as well, as they usually descend into name calling and some very bad feelings. No matter how it is framed it usually descends into some kind of idiocy.. with that being said, I also believe that any argument by white males, without the input of black men and women (or any other minority) who are offended just to argue conservative vs. liberal ideology is mindless and goes nowhere. I am not even sure that cons vs. lib ideology is the correct term, as I am a liberal.. but believe that all this crap about IMUS becomes a media frenzy issue, and we are distracted from the real issues in the world. Kinda like Anna Nicole Smith, in the big scale of things Imus has made his millions, but he will be back on the airwaves in a couple of weeks on a different station. Nothing will really change, and the Hannity's, Limbaugh's as well as the left counterparts and the rest of the talking heads will make it a race/liberal issue, while it is nothing more that a really stupid comment that Imus made. Take away the politics and then look at what he said about those girls from Rutgers, and see how it stands alone it is a pretty bad comment, no context, no reason and no value.

Life will go on..
  19. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let me get this straight; if someone is conservative, he or she is a nut and a racist. If someone is opposed to affirmative action or perceives a reporting bias against whites in the media, he or she is a racist. If someone feels that Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, Farrakan, David Duke or any other person in the public eye whose first concern is their color rather than justice inflames many racial situations, they are causing trouble in this group or in society in general. Nice to know where I stand.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

I know where your coming from kid :rocker:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.