Welcome to PatsFans.com

Racism In The NAACP

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

Par for the course they have invited Farrakhan and Wright to speak at their events. The embrace racist if they are black.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This would be months long of national headlines if it was a white male giving the exact same speech about a black farmer.

Disgusting.
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

If it were a white bureaucrat they would be under investigation buy the Justice Department. Wonder if Holder will start an investigation into the rights of the white farmer being violated?

Love the hypocrisy of the left.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

She certainly thought in terms of race, but I don't see where the racism is. She did achieve a balance that allowed her to help the white farmer and the black farmer. But, no question she was politically incorrect for these times.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

Sending the Farmer to be helped by "one of his kind", really Patters if white government workers refused to help black citizens and sent them to be helped by "their own kind"?

Libs are racist hate to say it but based on the whole NAACP affair, there is no other conclusion.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I think blacks know who the racists are better than you do since they are the ones who experience racism. Their voting patterns tell us a lot in that regard. She recommended the farmer to someone she felt he'd be more comfortable with, based on her experience that he was condescending towards blacks. While I see your point, I also see hers.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Some? Sure.
  9. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Patters is funny.
  10. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Anyone who does not believe that the NAACP is racist should google the name Kenneth Gladney

Where was Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton when this poor Black man was
    beaten?
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

And the USDA GA director of rural development has resigned. And the USDA has released a statement strongly condemning any withholding of services on racial grounds.

So I guess the Tea Party "Massa" letter guy has resigned too, right? I guess the Tea Party Express has condemned actions such as his?

No?

Uh huh. Tell me allllll about the big bad liberal hypocrites.

PFnV
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So if I told you that you are not really welcome in this forum and that you should instead only be in a forum with your own kind, you'd be cool with that?
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The difference is that she lost her USDA job, and the NAACP denounced what she said.. understand, she did bad and no excuses are offered..

No one defends her, they hold her accountable.. the right can learn from this.

USDA employee resigns over statements about white farmer - CNN.com

Comments from Ben Jealous:

But of course there is more to this story.. some call it BS, some call it same old same old for the lemmings who see Breitbart and start to salivate.. the lemmings should know better, when will they ever learn oh god, please help them become more intelligent and discerning even if it Andrew the king of falseness and editing..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Either Shirley Sherrod is one the world's best liars and spinners or Fox and Braithbart has outdone themselves in editing out context.

I really hope someone discovers the whole video of that March 27th speech.

But Tuesday morning, Sherrod said what online viewers weren't told in reports posted throughout the day Monday was that the tale she told at the banquet happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.

Sherrod said the short video clip excluded the breadth of the story about how she eventually worked with the man over a two-year period to help ward off foreclosure of his farm, and how she eventually became friends with the farmer and his wife.

"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

The AJC is trying to recover the full video footage of Sherrod's speech to the Douglas NAACP.

Resigned USDA official says racial story misconstrued | ajc.com
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

That's nothing but spin sorry to say Patters. It is racism, pure and simple. It's wrong even if you spin it to be some kind of leveling of the playing field. She used her powerful position to harm someone because of their race....and the question does need to be asked. ... Why didn't the NAACP address this before it blew up in their face? I give them credit for calling her and the audience out for their behavior now but did they have a choice? I said yesterday that racism oocurs in all groups. Each group has to face that fact and condemn it wherever and whenever it happens.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

But it's entirely possible she did not HAVE the "powerful position" at the time of the incident in question, PatsSB.

The video mentions that this particular incident took place shortly after Chapter 12's were created for farmers - which would have been in 1986. Shirley worked for The Black Farmers Coop in 1986. Not a "powerful position" and one which helped members of The Black Farmers Coop - which I highly doubt the white farmer was a member of at the time. Her "position" as a representative of a black coop would have effectively prevented her from helping anyone not a member of the coop, wouldn't it have? What she did was what she could - send him to a lawyer who could help him.

It appears that there may be more to this story than has been told or shown - (see my post above about the edit job being claimed by Ms. Sharrod - the cutting out of the part where she goes on to say she did end up working with the white farmer for over 2 years and becoming friends with him and his family.)

Just to err on the side of caution, I'd wait for the rest of the information to become available. I may be wrong, of course. Right now it's all hearsay, but knowing Baithbart's penchant for editing out some rather pertinent information in the past, it's probably worth the wait.
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

Christ, you guys are dupes. Once again, can't say I'm surprised.

So let's see: she recounts a story in which a White farmer goes to a Black farmers' coop for help, 24 years ago, when she was not a government employee. She refers him to an organization whose mission is not to help the Black farmer. She recounts the story at the NAACP. So the NAACP is a racist organization.

I'm sure the story is still racist because there should be no such thing as a Black farmers' coop, despite the fact that Black farmers had enough common grievances that they brought a class action lawsuit.

That's what makes these guys racist, I'm sure.

I love how every time a real live incident of racism actually pops up, like Mark Williams' letter, there's an immediate response by Notsobrightbart or someone else saying "Just you wait!!! I have a smoking gun video!!!"

The video is predictably a speech recounting a 24-year-old event taken out of context for the purpose of creating an illusion.

Also predictably, our local fringies talk about how Williams' little "letter" is out of context, despite the fact that the full text of the letter is available for anybody to read.

There's nothing "out of context" about Williams' letter. It's ridiculous to attempt to defend it directly, though naturally the fringies here have tried.

So the Notsobrightbarts of the world reach for this to establish "nuh uh Mark Williams isn't racist some government functionary who was working for a Black farmers' coop 24 years ago is really the racist and the NAACP is racist for hearing her tell a story about refusing Black farmers' coop help to a White farmer..."

What a POS this guy is. Predictably so.

PFnV
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Simply Amazing how liberals will defend and make excuses for BLACK racism and then turn around and condem WHITE racism all based on the color of skin.

DO LIBERALS REALIZE THAT IS THEY WHO ARE THE TRUE RACISTS.

This women in the video belongs right up there with Mel Gibson and David Duke.

The NAACP dumped her as they well should have BUT THEY HAD TO, they would have swept it under the Race Rug it somebody hadn't found it and released it.

DEAR LIBERALS
    YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT BUT RACISM IS A TWO WAY STREET AND YOU KNOW IT BUT YOU HATE TO THINK ABOUT IT THE THOUGHT OF IT MESSES UP YOUR LITTLE ROSE GARDEN DREAM WORLD, IT JUST DOESN'T JIVE IN LIBERALISM.
    REGARDS
    HARRY BOY
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Shocking that nothing in your post addresses anything specific that has been written, Harry...

Aunt Zucchini!
  20. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's funny because when liberals point out racism, it's "playing the racism card."

But really, we see this type of stuff all the time on both sides. And it's really come to a head now that there's a black man in office.
  21. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Well said Jack and very true.
  22. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

HAHAHAHA she wasn't working for the feds when she discriminated, BFD.

She was working as a state employee and discriminated against a citizen based on his race.

Our faithful libs decry a satire written in response to a vicious smear as racism, but spin real racial discrimination.

Libs are racist and race baiters shameful.
  23. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Terrible grammar notwithstanding, a perfect example of what I was talking about.
  24. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

This is what happens when all discussions are dumbed down to the point where "racist!" is a viable, or common retort. The bottom line is that racism, or discriminatory views, are found in some segment of every group, locker room, corporate office, political party, neighborhood, etc. If you're going to lob the guilt by association, dumb down grenade, then you can't whine when it's picked up, and tossed right back at you. Suffice to say that whether you're throwing it first, or tossing it back in the direction it came, niether does anything to further intelligent discussion.
  25. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Where do you get this stuff at, 13????

Shirley Sherrod was NOT working as a state employee at the time. She was working for The Federation of Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund which was a group of community organizers.

The Federation was developed by community organizations and leaders molded and forged in the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. The Federation has been active over the years in advocating at the local, state and national level for public policies to assist Black farmers and develop persistently poor rural communities.

The Federation has consistently worked at the cutting edges of family farm and rural issues giving leadership and support to coalitions with other groups; often sacrificing funding and acceptance to make our positions known. Starting in the 1980's, the Federation worked without members to develop the basic outline of a "minority farmers rights bill" to assist people of color family farmers across the nation.

Federation of Southern Cooperatives Land Assistance Fund

You are every bit as bad as those who put out a video which begins with the words, On July 25, 2009 Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack appointed Shirley Sherrod as Georgia Director of Rural Development. On Monday, March 27, 2010, while speaking at the NAACP Freedom Fund banquet Mrs. Sherrod admits in in her federally appointed position, overseeing over a billion dollars that she discriminates against people due to their race.

You ignore the truth, you change the facts, you disregard the dates and you mock those who would try to reason with you.

She was working with a group devoted exclusively to helping a very specific group of people at the time - black farmers. It was no wonder she directed the white farmer to someone better suited to helping him. What, I wonder, was even his point in seeking her and her group out in the first place? I did not go to the "Italian-American Scholarship Fund" association when I wanted to get help sending my Irish son to college.

And if I had, I would not have been surprised when they told me they could not help me and sent me to someone who could.
  26. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

PFnV, I get that the source may be motivated by the worst intentions but in this case he is just the messenger. This was revelaed in a meeting just last March right? It was at an NAACP meeting, right? The audience nodded with approval, right?

The NAACP is a little late to the table but better late than never I guess:

He goes on to say but not quoted in the above article:

And MrsP, She did admit holding back a degree of help she had the power to use to for this farmer. It's like giving a guy an 8 ft ladder who's stuck in a 10 ft hole when you have the 10 ft ladder he really needs, isn't it?
  27. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

If she had the 10 foot ladder, sure. But I'm not sure she did. If it was a group specifically formed to help black farmers perhaps she didn't.

I just don't see any way any of this helps matters. Deliberately leading people to believe that a person acted under some governmental capacity when they clearly did not is certainly not helping anything. On the contrary, it fans the flames.

How is it that we are all so good and so righteous that we condemn every action taken by anyone (on either side of the great divide) no matter how long ago it was done or said or what good that person may have done in the meantime?

If Ms. Sherrod did, indeed, as she claims, use this story as an example of how she "saw the light" and the light changed her - and if she did, again as she claims, go on to help the farmer for the next two years and befriend him and his family, is that not a good example rather than a bad one?

I hesitate to say any more until either the rest of the video is released or there is confirmation or denial that there is more and that the more will either condemn her fully or exonorate her because without it, we just don't know, do we?
  28. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Don Imus...............
  29. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Mrs. Sherrod said herself that she held back, didn't she? Anyway, I hear you and maybe I'm relying too much on the NAACP's reaction to it right now, but they are certainly not letting her or the audience off the hook.
  30. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

But Breitbart lied and edited.. once again.

But that is not important, for the right they have their pound of flesh without due process, Sherrod was tried in the rarified world of the blogosphere..

Was working for a coop, the same as working for the state???..