Welcome to PatsFans.com

Racism Being Addressed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

What about in those critical years before they get to elementary school? Should adolescents take it upon themselves to learn the value of reading, for instance? Should infants take it upon themselves to learn the value of a happy, healthy home? Should fetuses take it upon themselves to teach the mother personal responsibility? Do you think parents and environment have any role in a child's development?

If you're not born with natural gifts and don't have parents who emphasize education, you will be at a learning disadvantage. You choose to ignore the fact that there was educational discrimination right up until the 1970s that has left some lasting damage. And you choose to ignore the fact that in our system, poor areas generally have less-well-funded schools.

While it's true that all people know the importance of education, it's also a matter of degree. In my home, since both my parents were teachers, there was nothing more important than education, but that's not true in every home. If you know anyone from a poor, uneducated background, you would know that learning disorders are quite common, and they are sometimes intimidated by the educated (such as Harry Boys's self-deprecating remarks, as in Stupid Harry Boy, etc.) I think you're oversimplifying the issue.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

:p They don't intimidate me some of them baffle me with their intelectual goofiness, remember it is the highly educated that walk the halls of congress and start all the wars, I don't think there is one of them that I would allow in my home or walk my dog (that includes the Bush's).

Politicians, many Judges, the news media rats and all lawyers are well educated criminals, crooks and perverts, I will take a good old street smart rubbish man over them any day.

There are still millions of "Decent Eduacated" they quietly go about their business, we never hear from them.

Put A Truck Driver In The White House.

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Spending NEVER FIXES ANYTHING. Look at the per student expenditures for any private school versus amy DNC controlled inner city school. The private will be outspent 3-1. The problems are multiple in order:

1. "BABY-DADDY"- the mere fact that this term exisists is dooming our culture. If a kid has no father he has no discipline. Why did any of us study when we were younger? Because a parent told you to, and you HAD to listen. Long before you come to any self-knowing thoughts on education, it had been instilled in you from the start. Look at certain ethnic groups thier family make-ups directly correspond to their children's academic performance. The Jews for wxample have always stressed family and higher education, the same is true for most Asian cultures, which is why you go to any college in this country and the student body will consist of a much higher percentage of Jews/Asians than the general population. It has nothing to do with quotas, it has everything to do with families. On the other hand you can see children everyday that you know in your heart have absolutely "no chance" of every suceeding. They have no family, no value structure to emulate, no money, nothing. Most likely they will be stuck in a horrible inner city DNC controlled school reading "Heather has two Mommies", and an arrary of other crap designed to ensure that they vote Democrat the rest of their lives. The plain and simple truth is, if your parents don't value education (or if you don't have parents) you are most likely not to get one.

2. SOCIAL ENGINEERING-teaching kids a leftist liberal agenda is more important to most of academia than any thing else. EVERYONE here who went to college, knows this. How many of your professors were leftists loons? I remember two reports I wrote in college that best describes the situation, The first was a well research well written 20 page paper on police shootings of suspects (OK, so I may have already had a preminition about my future career back then, although I was an History/Education major). I thought my paper presented all the facts logically and came to the conclusion that almost all Police shootings are justified. I got a C. I stop trying in the class, and the next report was on this leftist book called "In Banks we Trust" which claimed amoungts other things that Chase-Manhattan was hiring "hitmen" to keep governments that owed them money in power. I wrote the report the night before it was due, typed it straight on the typewriter no rough draft (that's right nobdy had CPUs back then) I didn't even read the book, just read the first and last paragraph of each chapter and wrote a report as if I was NEM, it was barely three pages (was supposed to be five) and got an A. The moral of this story is they do not teach to open minds, they teach to convert.

THE ANSWER: is simple like everything else that works well in this country, open up all education money to open, honest, fair, and regulated competition. Imagine if the whatever billion dollar NYC school budget was money out there to earn? The schools would be everywhere, and would really have to answer to the parents desires, or they would go broke.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

You're confusing "quality of parents" with what I thought this thread was about - racism. There is no racism, in general. Sure, if some inner city black parent doesn't value education their kid is at risk - same with some white trash parent. Parents have a big effect on their kids, no doubt. But don't call it racism just because there are more bad black parents than white or more black kids that choose not to listen to them than white. The 70s was a long, long time ago. Sad to say, an entire generation (sad, because it makes me feel old).

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

BF, Racism has certainly declined, but the fact is that most blacks kids had parents or grandparents who were directly affected by discrimination and we still have the problem with educational funding that continues to hurt families with a history of poverty (for whatever reason) more than other families. I think many of the problems in the black community are still byproducts of past prejudice that many black people were hurt by. That said, some of the problems faced by poor blacks are also faced by poor whites, so the problem to a large degree can be addressed in a colorblind way.

FTW, as to your second point, every good student has similar stories. The way to get A's in college is to write what the teacher wants. That same unfortunate truth applies to both liberal and conservative teachers. As far as more teachers being liberal, it's an issue that conservative families need to address. Why don't more conservatives historically go into teaching? Maybe fewer conservatives like the idea of public service?

As to your first point, in some cases government (through education and opportunity) can do more to help rebuild families that for whatever reasons have stagnated when it comes to education. Schools should have the money to buy up-to-date books, computers, offer quality remedial training, offer small class sizes, and much more. Some schools do, some schools don't. Also, imagine how much money we could save if we used security guards instead of police for our safety. At any rate, perhaps we should privatize police forces and if that saves a lot of money, then we can consider privatizing public schools.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +517 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Well I don't care about any of that stuff. We don't need the government rebuilding poor communities, providing special funding for poor schools where the kids don't want to learn anyway. They need a school and a teacher. Beyond that it's up to the kids and the parents. If the parents in a poor family are too stupid to value the education that they passed up on, don't ask my tax dollars to go pouring into that area.

Everyone knows that to get a good job you usually need at least a high school diploma. And they aren't that hard to get. Don't come crying to me because blacks or poor kids of other races drop out in the 9th grade. You either give a sh!t or you don't and the poor usually stay poor because they don't.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

I think conservatives are far more inclined to run a business than they are to teach a class. Liberals tend to work for people while conservatives tend to hire them. :rocker:

Anyhow, my dad came over here from Italy when he was 12. He went straight to work, and ended up quiting school when he was 16, or a sophomore. Growing up, my dad kicked my ass if I sucked in school. He always made sure I did my homework, and put it in my head that I was getting a college degree "or else". He would be damned if I was going to have as hard a life as he had, having to work grunt jobs cuz he lacked an education. Anyhow, all 3 of his children graduated college, and it's something that he's most proud of. I remember after H.S. I wanted nothing to do with college. He pushed me, and I went. Parents are critical. Unfortunately, there are too many parents who don't care. Being "poor" is no excuse to not care about your children. BTW, I grew up in Chelsea (MA), hardly a mecca of wealth.

PS - It's only going to get worse as out-of-wedlock births now account for 37% of all children born in this country. You know what this means right? More welfare.

Record 4 in 10 babies are born out of wedlock

By Mike StobbeAssociated Press

ATLANTA -- Out-of-wedlock births in the United States have climbed to an all-time high, accounting for nearly four in 10 babies born last year, according to government health officials.

Though out-of-wedlock births long have been associated with teen mothers, the birth rate among girls ages 10 to 17 dropped last year to the lowest level on record. Instead, births among unwed mothers rose most dramatically among women in their 20s.

Experts said the overall rise reflects the burgeoning number of people who are putting off marriage or living together without getting married. They said it also reflects the fact that having a child out of wedlock is more acceptable nowadays.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +517 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I know a number of people who think public schools should be abolished and parents should be on their own to get their kids educated as they see fit. I'm not that extreme because I can see that it would truly lead to kids having no chance whatsoever. But we also don't need to be pumping huge money into schools, nor making sure they're exactly equal. Most of us, I did, went to public schools. Maybe we lacked exact equality of opportunity as a kid of a CEO who goes to the best school money can buy. But our opportunity was legitimate. Same with inner city schools. Maybe the opportunity of kids there is a little less than my kids, going to a better public school. But they have a school, a teacher and an opportunity to make a go of it.

Will they ? Their choice. Not my problem if they drop out and join a gang.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

Amen. (oops, is that word permitted in here?)

:rocker:

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Why are these "Poor Kids" running all around America in $500 sneakers, $100 baggies, and $300 football jerseys, in my day "Poor Kids" used cardboard in their shoes to cover the hole.

You Liberals should sit down and listen to Bill Cosby (of course you won't like it)