Welcome to PatsFans.com

Racism Being Addressed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +658 / 2 / -9

I hope my Title didn't offend any of the "Holier" among us, I'm trying, for those of you who are offended at some of my statements don't go to see any of todays "Hollywood Wife Swapping Democrat Movies", GOSH, if you do you might do "Poo Poo" in your pants when you hear some of things Whoopi says.

Back To Racism: (The lefty's will be whining about this poo poo)
    Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

"Did we do this to give a scholarship to white kids? Of course not," the scholarship reads. "Did we do it to trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit? Absolutely."
    http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com...epress.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What's funny about this is if they succeed in changing the system, it will be the Asians who benefit the most from the change.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Harry...where I come from for you it would be very simple.

We would ask you if your D!CK reached your AZ ZHOLE.

If it did we would then tell you to go F#ck Yo' Self.

If it didn't...we would have stretched it for you.

Personally...I could care less what your uneducated fingers post here.
    But I do care about the crap IAN puts up with...I always have.
    So go GOOGLE with your bung is....poon yourself....and post whatever your uneducated fingers care to type....

BTW: Uneducated = Ignorance Of Others...If I was Ian, you would have been canned the 1st week you were here.

4,484 times posting as a coward...you fool nobody with your profanity....without a doubt....you would be the 1st to run away.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't know why this is so complicated. I don't want my kid getting an advantage because he's White but I'll be damned if I want that to be a disadvantage. If he's deserving, he should get what he's applying for. End of story. This is why affirmative action, and the like, are stupid and perpetuate racism.
  5. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 4 / -0

I don't really talk politics and only clicked this b/c I thought it was about the Michael Richards stuff, but since I"m here I'll toss in my 2 cents for squeaks and gigs...

If there were to be quotas, or at least some attempt to level the playing field, the line of thinking should revolve around the quality of school a prospective student had at his/her disposal, which is related to social/finacial status and not necessarily race.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Lets say that Harvard is down to its last incoming Freshman slot. There's two candidates, both have perfect 4.0 records in equal High schools, both got perfect scores on the SAT and both have equally compelling teacher recommendations. The only difference is that one of 'em can hit like Ortiz or can blow through the gap like Maroney. Is this academic institution allowed to consider this lesser, athletic skill in deciding which one to take? I think its silly to say they can't. They're entitled to be sick of getting slapped around by Yale on the Football field and the more athletic candidate is likely to end that.

Now is it necessary to score a perfect grade on the SAT to succeed at Harvard? No it really isn't. There's a standard that the admissions people use to decide who has what it takes to cut it at that school. I don't know what that standard is; but I'll guarantee it ain't perfection.

What's wrong then for the school to have a minimum standard for the SAT and have every candidate who meets it make that particular cut and then look to other things, other goals to meet, besides absolute academic superiority? What's wrong with Harvard wanting to have a better Football team or to have a Lute player for their band or to have their student body reflect the population of America? Even if it means having the freshman classes' average GPA drop from 3.9 to 3.86? As long as the students they accept meet the standard necessary to make it there why does it have to only be about grades? Why is racial balance such a useless, empty goal to so many righties?
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I bet when you were a kid you used to get punched in the face a lot, and then got up all snotty nosed, bleeding saying something stupid while you ran all the way home. You can make a point, without pissing everyone off before you make it. I do not understand the value of your method, unless it if to do what has already been mentioned.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +658 / 2 / -9

You know I'll get banned if I respond :mad:
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Of course, the solution is to invest more heavily in poor school districts so that those kids have as much opportunity as kids who get to go to good suburban schools. But, that costs too much, so affirmative acton was a cheap solution to a big problem. Needless to say this is one of many issues that the right has no solution for. I would be for doing away with affirmative action (which is almost gone anyway) if we ensured adequate funding for all our schools. Too bad the BU students have such a simplistic understanding of the issue, but then again, they're Republicans.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Or how about having kids and parents who are poor give as much value to eduication as the suburban equivalents. Because ON AVERAGE (NOT IN ALL CASES) they don't.

I will never caese to believe that the quality of education is at least 80% the kids and parents' desire, not the amount of money the school gets. And I think 80% is low.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

As a nation we spend half a Trillion dollars on education. Me thinks that be enough. Of course, for liberal loons, it's never the fault of the student or parent, after all, they're poor. Being considered "poor" relieves a human being of all accountability. He robbed that store, well he's poor. He stinks in school, well he's poor. He has no job, well he's poor.

Reminds me of that proposal in NY to pay a cash benefit to welfare recipients who went to the doctor. HA! What a bananna republic. It's not enough that they live for free, but now we have to pay them to go to their paid for doctor. Lunacy at its best.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 8 / -13

Typical lib response more bad moeny after good In point of fact more money is spent per student in poor school districts than in good ones. Places like Utah and Iowa have far lower cost per student than metro areas controlled by dems like Newark NJ , NYC, Boston. There also seems to be an inverse relationship between the # of admins/student and student achievement.

As to 'right wing' solutions, it would be to have vouchers and give parents (poor parents in particular) choice. I would refer you to the writings of Milton Freidman and Steve Forbes on this topic.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 8 / -13

You are setting up a straw man the way affirmative action has been implemented in places liek Harvard isn't a matter of splitting hairs as you post asserts. The differences are in many cases glaring. I would refer you to this article by Thomas Sowell on the issue.

http://books.stonebooks.com/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/feedback/feedback?1001777
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

That's a nice idea, but how do you do that considering that in many cases the parents never had the type of education that clearly shows them its value. Perhaps we should not only invest in better education, but also invest much more in adult education. But, I don't think that's a solution for the likes of you. I don't think you have solution to the problem.
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Maybe we should absolve the lazy of all responsibility. Better yet, lets blank check anything for the "poor". Accountability is what I preach. The more you do for people, the less they do for themselves. That's fact.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

1) Harvard doesn't let any dummies in. Trust me I've met a ton of 'em over the years and have yet to meet one who pushes on the pull door. Besides whether they are 'splitting hairs' or not is your opinion which is not relevant. Its their school, they decide what's relevant.

2) a straw man is about falsely adjusting someone else's argument to better suit your debate needs, not proposing one of your own.

3) Your link points to a book about WWII in St Petersburg. I don't see the relevance.
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Sure I have a solution. It's for the poor, whether black or white, to take it upon themselves to get decent grades in high school so they can do better than their parents.

This crap you're spewing about their parents not knowing the value is utter stupidity. It's like saying that kids need sex education or they don't know how they get pregnant. BULL. Everyone knows that you are far less likely to get a good job if you drop out of high school. So don't ask me to feel sorry for someone who chooses to do so. And don't ask me to fund adult education so they can learn to tell their kids to get better grades.
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah 'cause them 15 yr olds are sure an independent, mature lot:rolleyes:

What if these High School kids haven't got around to learning how to read when they reach this enlightened age? Are they supposed to make up for 10 years of educational neglect in 4 years?
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Look, I really don't care. It's not racism if blacks get poor grades. It's not classism if whites get poor grades. If the poor, of any race, are too stupid to get their kids to not repeat their mistakes . . . I guess they'll just be repeated and the cycle of poverty will be repeated - by their choice. But don't call it racism.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +658 / 2 / -9

This thread could lead to a stupid Neo Con such as myself being banned, if I gave you all the logical common sense answer to this uneducated poor kids predicament the thread would LOCKED.