Welcome to PatsFans.com

Racism alive and well

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

It's difficult to choose paragraphs from this article,

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/04/bell.jena.six/index.html

but in a nutshell, some black kids asked and got permission to sit under a white shade tree used by whites. The next day, nooses were hung from the tree. The principle wanted to expel the white students, but was overruled and the kids were suspended for 3 days. Then there was a bad fight, where black kids beat the crap out of a white kid (who was out of the hospital by the end of the day). An all-white jury convicted one of the black kids of attempted murder.

The fact that this kind of mentality still exists in the United States shows why we need affirmative action. Racism is alive and well.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

Affirmative action is reverse racism. You do know that right? Personally, I understand it's point, and existence, but I also see it for what it is. I wouldn't abolish it, although I can understand why some people might, probably because of the same reasons I see why it exists.

As for racism being alive and well, sadly that is true, and even more sadly, it always will. Be it white on black, black on white, hispanic on black, black on hispanic, etc... There are M&M's everywhere, and in every race, color, and creed. I saw a 1 minute snippet on the story on Anderson Cooper 360, but haven't read into it in detail. Sad though from what little I did see.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Yes, I do want to reverse racism :D

I don't think we need quota systems, but I do think that work places, colleges, juries, etc. should be allowed to address racial imbalance, since it's the only way to get ignorant people to realize that racism is a symptom of their ignorance, not something valid. I see nothing wrong, for instance, with a university saying it wants to ensure that x% of its student body is black (or some other race) even if that means admitting less qualified people. I think integration is a very important aspect of public policy.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

That's your belief, which a lot of people don't agree with. I'm mixed on it to be quite honest. I see the arguments on both sides. I'm not sure there is a right, or wrong answer. Forgive me, but I want the police officers who protect me to be of the highest quality, and not of the most diversified of colors. I think that's an honest position to hold. Can someone chastize me for feeling that way? This is why I think there are valid positions on both sides.
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

There are valid issues on both sides, of course, but there are also valid issues whether the standard way of evaluating people is always the best. For example, it's pretty obvious that an all-black police force would not be as trusted as an all white police force in a white racist area, so ability and intelligence would not be sole deciding factors. Also, if a black person scores an 80 on a test and a white person an 81, I suspect we would both agree that both individuals are equally qualified. There needs to be some latitude, and we certainly should not have all white juries in this day and age, especially in case that involves race!
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Couldn't they find their own Godamned tree why did they want the White Mother F-ckers Tree
    :bricks:
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

The problem is that the differences in most cases is not a single point.
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Black cops are just as good as white cops, and they can work together despite a strained relationship. Hasn't anyone ever seen the Negotiator???
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

That might be the last good movie Samuel L has made. Ever since, he's made some REAL stinkers. I mean aweful, aweful movies. Freedomland was a zzzzzzzzzzz'fest, and Snakes with Diarea is a movie I'll never see. Too many good actors make crappy movies for the almighty buck.
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Without getting into the ins and outs of it too much, clearly what the black kids did was worse. Was it a 3 day suspension vs. attempted murder worse ? I'm sure that's debatable. But putting up negative symbology vs. a violent attack, the violent attack is clearly worse. I"m not sure if Patters agrees or not, he's so hell bent on his anti gay, anti racism agenda I'm never sure what point he's trying to make.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Here's a tragig use of words and a failure of editing:
    "...On November 30, someone torched the school's main academic building. The arson remains unsolved, but many suspect it's linked to the discord strangling Jena High....

Seriously, though, this is why there needs to be some head-knocking down south. Why don't a couple of busloads of NFL d-linemen go down to Jenna and beat the snot out of the first 20 fat, mullet-headed rednecks with stars 'n' bars decal filling the rear window of his 84 Chevy pickup with mud-terrain tires and lift kit? I've met these retard inbreeders down in the woods near sh-tholes like Lafayette, LA and Clarkesdale, MI lots of times. These guys (and girls) need a true beating. Hell, I know some white boys who'd love to join in, too.

And Harry, your statement makes you sound like a moron. You're not one, are you?
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Patters is anti-gay!?:eek:
    What the black kids did might have hurt worse as far as bumps and bruises are concerned, but what the white kids did clearly deserved a good azzwhoopin". I don't blame them at all. It's called fighting back. Psychologically and culturally, the white kids did much more damage. What were the black kids supposed to do? Hang up posters of General Sherman or U.S. Grant? Are you saying a physically violent thing is worse than a psychologically violent thing? I don't think so.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, that came out wrong ;)

I think the black kids would have found a much more sympathetic audience if they had complained to the school, newspapers, etc, without becoming violent thugs themselves first.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Depends on the specifics, I guess, but I'd prefer to have some kids call me names, insult my heritage and call my mother whore than to have my head bashed in.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh yeah, right....They should shuffle over to the paper or the cops. "Massah, I'z gots a complain'...Doze white boys iz bein mean to us poh colo'dz." Oh yeah. That would have changed everything. Do ya think maybe that was the last straw? Maybe the blacks there have had a history of violence against them. What's the real cause of their violent reaction. It may not have been right, but it sure as hell was deserved, IMO.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Whose head was bashed in?
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I was responding to your question about which is worse so I compared them both as happening to me. Again, for the specific situation I think what the blacks did to the whites was worse than what the whites did.
  18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Dude you're looking at this from a biased, made-up viewpoint already.

They waited, let due process take its course, and the institution gave an over-lenient sentence to those rednecks. The official schoolboard called the noose on the trees a 'prank'. Are you kidding me?

I'm not Black, but I am pretty sure that if I was the victim of an attack and the guilty were let go, I'd go after them to exact fair justice.

Maybe this will help you see what happened: imagine if a bunch of ovens popped up on the laws of the Brandeis campus, and the schoolboard let the rednecks go because it was only a 'prank'.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Well if they'd learn to speak real English maybe people would take them seriously. That's the problem I have them makes some people THINK I'm racist even though I don't think I am. I think blacks have every bit of the ABILITY to be as successful as whites. However I don't think they choose to embrace that ability.

Too bad.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Well it was a prank. An ugly one maybe but still a prank. Where's the "attack" you refer to ? Nooses were hung. Whatever. Were the black kids placed in the nooses ? No. That would have been an attack. Thick skin, baby, thick skin.