PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

R.I.P., Marquise Hill (1982-2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SERIOUS NEWS: Marquise Hill missing after jetski accident

I just saw this. This is very scary. I hope and pray he makes it through this. Lets all keep him and his family in our thoughts.

May 28th, 2007
Agent: “We need your help”
Posted by John Tomase at 1:00 pm

Albert Elias, agent to missing Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill, is urging anyone who owns a boat near Lake Pontchartrain to join the search.

“Basically we’re trying to get the message out to anybody in the Louisiana area or even in Boston who has a relative down here with access to a boat to get out on Lake Pontchartrain and help the search party,” he said.

Elias explained what happened, as best he could understand.

“Basically what happened was Marquise and a classmate friend of his, a young lady, were out jet skiing on Lake Pontchartrain where there’s a bad underflow and strong currents. They hit a wake and were thrown off the jetski.

“There are reports they weren’t wearing life jackets. What I do know is I spoke with the young lady this morning and she either couldn’t swim or had difficulty swimming. Marquise knew this and being a strong swimmer, he was instructing her as he drifted away in a different direction to stay calm and don’t fight the water. He found a buoy or piling behind her and told her to let the current take her to that. She listened to him and it pretty much saved her life. She’s home this morning in bed

“The last time she saw him, he was still floating down the lake. It’s just like him to put someone else’s life in front of his own. That’s the way he always was. That’s about all we know"

It doesn't sound great. This on nola.com:

Lt. Steve McManus of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said officials decided to focus on recovering Hill's body after witnesses saw him go under the water without resurfacing. Authorities are trying to determine with the help of family members Hill's exact location at the time he and a woman fell from the craft, McManus said.

This is really awful. Cmon Marquise, prove everyone wrong.

First post, and as an LSU alum who was at that 2003 National Championship game, as a football fan, and as a mom, this is very sad news. I live in Houston now but I grew up in New Orleans. Here is a map of Lake Pontchartrain; the big red dot I added near the south shore of the lake is the approximate area that he disappeared, according to news reports. I also added an arrow pointing to the Causeway, the 26 mile bridge that spans the lake from north to south, which is in the pictures that have been posted here. To the east is where New Orleans East and Slidell connect by the I-10 bridge; this is also a popular fishing spot. Hopefully he was able to stay afloat or grab onto a pier or something until the holiday fishermen came out...but I'm not feeling very positive about it right now.... :(

Here is the link to the map as well; you can zoom in to see some greater detail. http://saveourlake.org/pdfs/recmap.pdf

Hill and his family are in my prayers....

Attachments

• recmap.jpg
    recmap.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:

I've been out all day and I just heard about this. This is AWFUL. My heart goes out to his family. I'll hope for the best but this does not sound good.
Awful news. :(

The lady he was with stated that he was consoling her when they were drifting apart.

Hopefully he made it to shore but time-wise it doesn't look do good.

I doubt Marquis gave in though-he's a fighter.

I hope there's a chance he's still with us.

First post, and as an LSU alum who was at that 2003 National Championship game, as a football fan, and as a mom, this is very sad news. I live in Houston now but I grew up in New Orleans. Here is a map of Lake Pontchartrain; the big red dot I added near the south shore of the lake is the approximate area that he disappeared, according to news reports. I also added an arrow pointing to the Causeway, the 26 mile bridge that spans the lake from north to south, which is in the pictures that have been posted here. To the east is where New Orleans East and Slidell connect by the I-10 bridge; this is also a popular fishing spot. Hopefully he was able to stay afloat or grab onto a pier or something until the holiday fishermen came out...but I'm not feeling very positive about it right now.... :(

Here is the link to the map as well; you can zoom in to see some greater detail. http://saveourlake.org/pdfs/recmap.pdf

Hill and his family are in my prayers....
Just curious as to the size of the lake?? lenthwise widthwise..just to get an idea of scope and scale..seems like it's a gigantic lake..and if there are currents that are strong..that could eter into it....not sure whether that is good news or not

i just went over to the Saints board. some guy is saying his fishing friend called him up and said a man was found with his superbowl ring. didnt say dead or alive but again..its not really a credible source quiet yet. i hope everything is okay. come on MH. Give us a sign

I find it hard to believe he would wear his Superbowl ring while jetskiing.

I find it hard to believe he would wear his Superbowl ring while jetskiing.

yeah the guy hasnt said anything since

btw the lake is also an estuary connecting Gulf of Mexico to a strait, a pass and another lake

a poster there mentioned that if the current took him North..he could be between Mandeville and another town-city thats mostly swamps where it would be very hard for anyone to spot him

Just curious as to the size of the lake?? lenthwise widthwise..just to get an idea of scope and scale..seems like it's a gigantic lake..and if there are currents that are strong..that could eter into it....not sure whether that is good news or not

It's the second-largest salt-water lake in the United States (behind the Great Salt Lake in Utah), and is roughly 40 miles wide west-to-east and 24 miles wide north-to-south. Average depth is 12 to 14 feet.

Just came on for the day. Not what I expected. I feel sick, sad and hopeless.

It's not looking good, but I still hope for a miracle. Come on man.

i just went over to the Saints board. some guy is saying his fishing friend called him up and said a man was found with his superbowl ring. didnt say dead or alive but again..its not really a credible source quiet yet. i hope everything is okay. come on MH. Give us a sign

This may have been premature; the posts with these reports have been deleted from the thread. I'll check back and let you know if there's any new news over there.

It's the second-largest salt-water lake in the United States (behind the Great Salt Lake in Utah), and is roughly 40 miles wide west-to-east and 24 miles wide north-to-south. Average depth is 12 to 14 feet.

That's a big but shallow lake. How salty is it, do you know? On the Great Salt Lake, you can lie on your back forever because the salt makes it next to impossible to sink; the only way to drown, really, is to end up lying face down somehow. Is Pontchartrain like that, or is it ocean-like?

Yes, it's not a very deep lake (I went swimming in that lake every summer when I was a kid; not far from the area he was jetskiing), but it can have some nasty currents. Again, hopefully he found something to grab onto (perhaps even leftover damage from Katrina via damaged boats, trees, houses, etc., that may still be in the lake), and it's just a matter of time before they find him? I'm holding out hope, but reality says it doesn't look good...

omg this is horrible news. Im hoping they find him and he is alright. My prayers go out to his family and his team mates also.

"Family members and friends of ex-LSU football star Marquise Hill continued to hold out hope for a miracle even as Coast Guard and Wildlife and Fisheries search teams changed their mission from rescue to recovery. " from WWL-TV...I hope they can get more people out in boats...I think we all pray for a good outcome..

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl052807tplsu.1aa969dc.html

man i wish i lived in Louisiana right about now..i would be in the lake searching as long as it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back