Welcome to PatsFans.com

R.I.P., Diversity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Can we please go back to the melting pot model of America...PLEASE!?

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/08/05/the_downside_of_diversity/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Is anyone surprised ? Whether it's the distrust of middle easterners or blacks from the inner city who choose not to educate themselves to fully participate in society, there are a lot of reasons for people to not trust their "diverse" neighborhood. It's a shame but it is what it is. Please note, I was careful to say that blacks (not all but too many) "choose" not the educate themselves, not that they aren't capable of doing so.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Oh, and the common language plays a role too. When trying to trust someone, befriend them, become neighbors, speaking English, the common language, is a really good start.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There was an interesting letter in the Boston Globe about this.

Basically it asked: are the communities unengaged because they're diverse, or are they diverse because they're unengaged? Diversity has only been able to happen in areas of least resistence: poor communities, unengaged to begin with. Affluent communities have resisted diversity.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's a good question. I think that there is a control missing in the study, for sure. I just think (and always have) that "diversity" is antitheticle to the notion of a "melting pot" society, which I favor. You can force diversity if you're in favor of it, but what do you have if you are successful in creating a uniformly diverse population? Although I'm not in favor of such a thing, one would argue that forced "blending" of culture and race would yield a more homogeneous and culturally vibrant society. Again, I'm adamantly opposed to enforced social conditions, but as a point of discussion, such a study is scientifically and inherently flawed without such a hypothetical control. I just don't think the concept of diversity is workable or even desireable.

For example, to some, I'm first generation Irish-American, but I never refer to myself as such. I like some Irish music, but the food is crap and other aspects of the Irish culture is silly. I much more identify with R&B/blues/soul music, Mexican and Hindi food, AmericanIndian artwork and environmental views, the NFL and baseball, and the landscape in the US. Funny thing is, my cousins in Ireland have similar tastes. I think it's idiotic that, while the world becomes a melting pot, we insist on rejecting that idea for diversity.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think it's a matter of ideals versus reality. It would be ideal if we had one culture, spoke one language and had the same goals. Society would be better off, there would be less crime, more productivity, and less tension.

But it ain't gonna happen, you can't force someone to be like you, even if you can show them they'd be better off. Matters of language, culture, and self-identity are very personal, people will be who they are, not who you want them to be.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I agree with you and it works the other way too :

- when you read about middle eastern terrorist cells over here, it's tough to trust them as another neighbor.
    - when a higher percentage of blacks are involved in violence, etc, it's tough to trust them as another neighbor.
    - when someone moves in and is always speaking a foreign language it's tough to get along with them as another neighbor.

It is what it is and different groups don't "melt into the American pot" like they used to. That's their right, I'm not saying otherwise. But it's why, IMO, they aren't trusted/liked/whatever as others are.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I can't disagree with that, nobody has to like anyone that they don't want to like.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Most "black" violence is black on black, but fear sells and many buy.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Oh Jesus, now you've done it :eek:

Watch the do-gooders and social experiment we know best people come charging out of their bunkers on this one.

They don't dare touch Chinatown, they tried and the leaders in the Chinese Merchants building politely told them to "shove off".

It took them years to come to grips with the fact that many Black People PREFER to live in a Black Community with their own people.
    Many hard core do-gooders still can't bring themselves to believe that there are thousands of Black People that don't want to live in Wellsley Newton or Billerica, they would rather stay right in Roxbury with their own people that is where they feel comfortable.

There are German, Russian, Italian, Greek, Polish, Swedish communities all across America, that drives the do-gooder nuts.

People Love Their Own People, human nature.
    :bricks:
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

That could be - and I'm not saying white people should be inherently scared of blacks (or other races) - just that a lot are.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

The point is fear sells and there are tons of buyers..